I was working on a design to submit and was wondering if the five color rule counted black and white as colors, or do hues like them and the grey scale all count as one (which ive seen elsewhere...)
thanks.
8Comments
    146 weeks ago
    bunp
    146 weeks ago
    Yes, black and white are colors. Shades of colors are colors too. Hope that helps!
    146 weeks ago
    MJ said: Yes, black and white are colors. Shades of colors are colors too. Hope that helps!
    MJ said: Yes, black and white are colors. Shades of colors are colors too. Hope that helps!
    oh ok, I was just wondering cause in the latest portal design (the laural and hardy one) and the drink nuka design with the black white and greytones it looks like theres more that 6 colors.
    146 weeks ago
    deadenglish said:
    oh ok, I was just wondering cause in the latest portal design (the laural and hardy one) and the drink nuka design with the black white and greytones it looks like theres more that 6 colors.
    I just went back to this image and checked and it has 7 to my count http://www.teefury.com/archive/1253/LaurAtlas___Peahardy/
    red (cheery), brown (cake), black (dark tone), blue, orange, white, and grey for the midtones.. is there a way they got around the 6 color rule than?
    146 weeks ago
    I think the grey is just the color of the shirt, not printed on color.
    146 weeks ago
    There's also a technique called Halftone. Photoshop and Illustrator do it. Even GIMP and Inkscape do it. To demonstrate it, look at this seven color rainbow on a blue t-shirt.

Photobucket

I cheated. The image you're looking at is actually a 640 x 800 pixel image. I just changed the width command in the HTML so it displays at 75px wide (the equivelent of printing the image at 600dpi, or seeing it at a distance). Let's look at the same image (you can check their URLs to confirm this) at its standard web-based 72dpi.

Photobucket

The t-shirt is blue. The only ink colors used to make up the seven colors are red and yellow. Really close up, you can see the dots, but at the kind of distance that other people will be looking at the shirt, it looks like a full rainbow of colors. Red and yellow together make the orange. Yellow dots on blue make green. Red dots on the blue make purple.

If you use the Search here in the forum, look for the word 'Halftone'. A few of us have a few threads showing how to do this in the various programs.

Using that technique, I could do the rainbow in this...

nyancatscreensaver_tx2y.jpg

And have colors left over for other things.
    146 weeks ago
    geekygryff said: I think the grey is just the color of the shirt, not printed on color.
    thats true, but if thats the case rhet should state that you can design with up to seven color if one is the color in which the shirt will be printed on. They give no clarity on any of this.
    146 weeks ago
    Jackpot777 said: There's also a technique called Halftone. Photoshop and Illustrator do it. Even GIMP and Inkscape do it. To demonstrate it, look at this seven color rainbow on a blue t-shirt.

Photobucket

I cheated. The image you're looking at is actually a 640 x 800 pixel image. I just changed the width command in the HTML so it displays at 75px wide (the equivelent of printing the image at 600dpi, or seeing it at a distance). Let's look at the same image (you can check their URLs to confirm this) at its standard web-based 72dpi.

Photobucket

The t-shirt is blue. The only ink colors used to make up the seven colors are red and yellow. Really close up, you can see the dots, but at the kind of distance that other people will be looking at the shirt, it looks like a full rainbow of colors. Red and yellow together make the orange. Yellow dots on blue make green. Red dots on the blue make purple.

If you use the Search here in the forum, look for the word 'Halftone'. A few of us have a few threads showing how to do this in the various programs.

Using that technique, I could do the rainbow in this...

nyancatscreensaver_tx2y.jpg

And have colors left over for other things.

Yes, I know about half tones...but thanks for showing me, and i saw some of the threads about shading on here too and their very informative aswell.
    I just wish they were more clear in their rules as to the color limit, cause i technically could use seven and say It printed on of the colors I used (like the blue in your halftone demo). but there is no elaboration. theres no more than two sentences.