Back to forum
rss 159 weeks ago
Hi all- Here's a new design I'm working on. Any thoughts? Reference too obscure?

Also, I noticed that when I save as a JPG, I'm losing some of the detail of the halftone. (i.e.- the joystick handle has 4 columns of dots when I'm working in GIMP, but when I save it as a JPG and open it again it has these 2 blurry ones.) I'm saving it at max quality, so not sure what else to do. Please forgive my ignorance, if this is a stupid question!

8Comments
    159 weeks ago
    "I guess he's an xbox, but I'm more an Atari" Right? Cee Lo Green?

I get the reference, but I'm not sure if I like the song enough to buy the tshirt.
    159 weeks ago
    oh wow geeky.... I thought the atari was referring to um.... his size...

=/

I fail.
    159 weeks ago
    the simple solution to your JPG problem: don't save it as JPG. JPG is a file format for web publication (to keep the file size down). it's a compressed format and bound to "lose data" (like mp3 drops in quality compared to analogue recording or wav). never use JPG for print design ... ever (unless it's for showcasing your art on the web of course).

use whatever GIMPs internal file format is, or any other uncompressed file type (TIF, BMP, some others)
    159 weeks ago
    There's a REAL easy way to make sure your images are limited color in GIMP.

Image → Mode → Indexed.

Choose 'generate optimum palette' and enter the number of colors you want. Now, every time you resize or rotate or change ANYTHING, it will convert the image to that limited number of colors.

image-mode-indexed.png

If the computer isn't picking the specific colors you wanted because of the dithering, convert the elements on their own (copy and paste them into new documents, THEN tweak the color range, save that level as a PNG, and finally paste that PNG back into the original to guarantee the limited palette).

Or 'encourage' the program to choose the colors you want by having color swatches on a new document, limiting the colors to those (as shown above), and then when you copy and paste the elements into the new document, it forces the palette onto them.

Photobucket

It's surprisingly effective.
    159 weeks ago
    @ geeky- Yep, that's the reference. I was wodnering if it might appeal to some gamers who at least knew the song, even if they weren't fans.

@propertyofstp- oh dear! ;)

@kgullholmen and jackpot.- THANK YOU! I'm obviously new to this, and both points were so helpful. AND I love the tiny wings design. I saw it on the forums and have been hoping to see it printed.
    159 weeks ago
    More than welcome: and I'm quite proud of the Tiny Wings design too. (cough) (cough) Hint, hint!!
    159 weeks ago
    @Jackpot- I tried it out today, and it was super helpful.

x%20wing%20ship%20with%20fewer%20lines.jpg
    159 weeks ago
    Doc_1sh said: @Jackpot- I tried it out today, and it was super helpful.

x%20wing%20ship%20with%20fewer%20lines.jpg

See? SEE?!? I stumbled on this the other day, and it's one heck of a time saver.