Back to forum
rss 146 weeks ago
A MashedPotato of two of my favorite Studio Ghibli films, "Totoro" and "Kiki's Delivery Service."

I know I need to make the bread wreath more uniform and clean, but this is what I've got so far. I also need more detail.

Can I talk about how much I hate the 6 color limit? I had to get rid of so much... Also, white shirts are boring, so that doesn't help me.
38Comments
    146 weeks ago
    I love it so far!!! Can't wait to see the final version :)
    146 weeks ago
    Thanks @tworivers!

Here's the updated version. Still need to work on some of the details...
    totoro2u.jpg
    146 weeks ago
    WOULD PURCHASE!!!! I
    146 weeks ago
    nailsnnovels said: WOULD PURCHASE!!!! I

Haha, good to know :D
    146 weeks ago
    Here's an update:
    totoro3.jpg
    146 weeks ago
    Great so far! But if it's miyazakis delivery service you must have the best creatures from his best film. That would be kodama. Throw a few kodama in there and you'd be set. Can't help but smile when I think about their little heads rattling.

Plus mononoke is the greatest animated film of all time.
    146 weeks ago
    SeckzBobOmb said: Great so far! But if it's miyazakis delivery service you must have the best creatures from his best film. That would be kodama. Throw a few kodama in there and you'd be set. Can't help but smile when I think about their little heads rattling.

Plus mononoke is the greatest animated film of all time.

Agreed! I was going to add a kodama next! I was thinking it should either sit on the broom stick or the Miyazaki sign. Then maybe I should add the scarecrow in the background from howl's moving castle?

146 weeks ago
    Great design! I'm not crazy about the brown background however. The version just prior was wonderful; why the change? More creatures could be a bonus, but they could clutter the design, so be careful. Looking forward to more updates on this!
    146 weeks ago
    Love this design! I agree...add a kodama, but be careful in cluttering the design too much But yes, kodama definitely needed xD it might be cute if you went with one sitting, clutching it's knees and looking up at the sign from the left bottom corner. If you want another two-fer movie reference, you can add Teto from Nausicaa since his species also appears in Laputa. But play around with the creatures and see what feels right to you without cluttering it up (you could always design a second epic Ghibli shirt, ya know ;)), you're definitely on the right path to an epic design of epic awesomeness.
    146 weeks ago
    manbat said: Great design! I'm not crazy about the brown background however. The version just prior was wonderful; why the change? More creatures could be a bonus, but they could clutter the design, so be careful. Looking forward to more updates on this!

The size color limitation was the reason I went with the brown. I could take out the brown ink, though, and keep the shirt a more vibrant color.

Vinya said: Love this design! I agree...add a kodama, but be careful in cluttering the design too much But yes, kodama definitely needed xD it might be cute if you went with one sitting, clutching it's knees and looking up at the sign from the left bottom corner. If you want another two-fer movie reference, you can add Teto from Nausicaa since his species also appears in Laputa. But play around with the creatures and see what feels right to you without cluttering it up (you could always design a second epic Ghibli shirt, ya know ;)), you're definitely on the right path to an epic design of epic awesomeness.

Good ideas! I will definitely have to watch out for cluttering... that's the last thing I want.
    146 weeks ago
    Alright, I've added a kodama and went back to purple. Should I keep him in there? Should I remove the mouse? Things may be getting too cluttered.

totoro4.jpg
    146 weeks ago
    Looking good! The addition of the mouse does make it a little cluttered, though, I think. Also, maybe add a little more shading on the knot of the bow? It doesn't look quite right at the moment. Otherwise, this looks fantastic!!
    146 weeks ago
    This looks amazing so far! I love it!
    146 weeks ago
    Okay, I took out the mouse, and I feel like everything is much more "breathable." I also changed the color of Kiki's dress to more of her official character outfit... and she does look more like a witch, anyways.

I think this is pretty close to the final image. Any suggestions before I submit? Would you buy this?

totoro5.jpg
    146 weeks ago
    After playing around with some elements in the design, I'm almost certain that I'm going to go with the version above as the final design. Any thoughts before I submit it?
    146 weeks ago
    You did a great job, I really hope they print it!!
    146 weeks ago
    Would def buy! Sad to see the mouse go though I understand why. Still sad because I love that mouse and to see it replaced with one of four of the same characters makes me weep.

But overall the design is brilliant and I'd definitely buy!!
    146 weeks ago
    SeckzBobOmb said: Would def buy! Sad to see the mouse go though I understand why. Still sad because I love that mouse and to see it replaced with one of four of the same characters makes me weep.

But overall the design is brilliant and I'd definitely buy!!

Yeah, me too :( But if it helps any, the soot spirits appeared in Spirited Away, too...

That probably doesn't help any.
    146 weeks ago
    If that shirt makes it, I will buy at least one. My five year old son would die for one, b/c Totoro and Kiki's are his two favorite movies ever, but tee fury hates kids.
    146 weeks ago
    Love it so far!
    146 weeks ago
    omg if teefury never prints this put it on redbubble and i will definately buy it as a kids shirt for my niece. she is a major miyazaki fan and i just got her a Totoro and Friends shirt off of there.
    146 weeks ago
    I do love it and would buy it in a heartbeat but if you haven't submitted yet I was just thinking what if you put the mouse above the wreath so maybe it won't look cluttered, like up and to the right or something, just a suggestion
    146 weeks ago
    this looks good! I was sad to see Boh go too, but it looks clean yet detailed. Definitely an insta-buy....you are designing some great shirts!
    145 weeks ago
    Vinya said: this looks good! I was sad to see Boh go too, but it looks clean yet detailed. Definitely an insta-buy....you are designing some great shirts!

Thank you so much!!

Ironwings said: I do love it and would buy it in a heartbeat but if you haven't submitted yet I was just thinking what if you put the mouse above the wreath so maybe it won't look cluttered, like up and to the right or something, just a suggestion

Funny enough, I did try that. The real problem with Boh is that he is rather detailed, whereas everything is not. He ended up looking a little out-of-place. (Poor Boh!)
    145 weeks ago
    solcanis said: omg if teefury never prints this put it on redbubble and i will definately buy it as a kids shirt for my niece. she is a major miyazaki fan and i just got her a Totoro and Friends shirt off of there.

Will do, for sure!
  • Load More Comments