Back to forum
rss 147 weeks ago
Newest Design illustration, i think i'm ready for submission, but you tell me.
Comments, Suggestions, Opinions?

Justice League Band

JLB

Headlining at Metropolis this weekend... Superman on Guitar, Batman on Bass, Flash on Keyboard, and Green Lantern on drums. They are the Justice Leauge! Bringing music and justice to the world.
25Comments
    147 weeks ago
    Bump
    147 weeks ago
    Nice. Very nice.
    147 weeks ago
    Nice work.
    I was also thinking about submitting an idea, however I dont know the in's and out's of what's OK as far as using other peoples charaters and such (IE: like your use of the JL and the four characters above). How do you know if its 'legal' or when its not?
    thanks guys\gals...
    147 weeks ago
    @Jackpot777

Thanks!!! :) Submit worthy?

@dly725:

I tried another DCcomics based idea not too long ago, but it wasn't "Parody" enough. From what they told me, if you can call it a parody you can sell it.
    147 weeks ago
    Wonder Woman on tambourine or as a giggling groupie and maybe Hawkman on vocals.
    147 weeks ago
    Needs Aqua Man on the triangle/cow bell.
    147 weeks ago
    Love it!

Can Robin be a groupie?
    147 weeks ago
    haha thanks guys! I actually had a plan for Aquaman on Triangle, Robin on Tamborine, and Wonder Woman as a backup dancer with Supergirl and Batgirl
    147 weeks ago
    submitted the design

I didnt want to add in the other characters, for fear it would get too crowded
    147 weeks ago
    I don't think you get it....these are drawings of copyrighted characters with their copyrighted logos in full view....you even have the name JUSTICE LEAGUE! bad idea IMO

try to be a bit more subtle like this --> http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2008/09/medium_supermandinner.jpg

147 weeks ago
    Technically the Superman logo is obscured/incompletely depicted both times. i used Justice Leauge and not Justice League of America, and i didnt use the official logo. idk i was trying.

Last time, i was told that as long as it was a parody it was ok. other characters are depicted all the time. can you explain how its different to depict Dr. Who than Superman or Batman?
    147 weeks ago
    Nonetez said: Needs Aqua Man on the triangle/cow bell.

Haha yes! Put Aquaman on the most useless instrument....it'll suit him well.
    147 weeks ago
    mbecks114 said: Technically the Superman logo is obscured/incompletely depicted both times. i used Justice Leauge and not Justice League of America, and i didnt use the official logo. idk i was trying.

Last time, i was told that as long as it was a parody it was ok. other characters are depicted all the time. can you explain how its different to depict Dr. Who than Superman or Batman?

I would LOVE a basic guide to what is considered stepping over the line when it comes to copyright infringement. When does a homage or a pastiche become an outright step over the line?

For example, we've had a real life dinosaur named Dracorex hogwartsia (Hogwarts Dragon King) by paleontologists Bob Bakker and Victor Porter. When they discovered the fossil, they thought it looked like a dragon.

dracorex_2.gif

These guys make a lot of money by being interviewed by the Science or Discovery Channel when it comes to dinosaurs, and they'd be the go-to guys to talk about this dinosaur (which they named after a place specifically in the Harry Potter world).

Today's design (June 27) is Calvinball, with the score "still Q to 12". There's a bipedal tiger wearing a bandit's mask. He's carrying a triangular flag on a pole. There's a mish-mash of sports equipment.

41578_2200231469_7023_n.jpgcalvinball.gif

And I'm not just singling out today's design. I've done designs that, although they are by my own hand, can be recognized as being Tiny Wings on the iPod / iPhone...

Photobucket

...or the Xenomorph from the Alien franchise...

Photobucket

...or a very specific company name that only exists in two recent episodes of Doctor Who.

SMALL MJ LOGO

So: where's the line? Even though there is no Island 16 (or a helicopter) in the Tiny Wings game, is the bird enough of a likeness? Are the words underneath, in the free Pusab font seen in the game, too much to trigger a suit from Andreas Illiger (or Tom Petty for song lyrics!)? Is 'Xenomorph' and 'It's a Bug Hunt' in Japanese, with the look of the alien drawn, enough or not to make a lawyer itchy? Or is the Weyland-Yutani Corporation logo a definite no-no (because the logo can be easily dropped if it were)? Is Morpeth Jetsan too unique... or does the town of Morpeth in England, and the fact that Jetsan is a Tibertan boy's name (meaning 'King'), mean it's fair game? Because Calvinball is as near or far from that line as each of these pieces.
    147 weeks ago
    As I understand it, Teefury have had problems with DC/Marvel in the past and they tend to stay away from designs featuring those characters.
    147 weeks ago
    The problem with your design is that it's something you would find at Target and not Teefury... Go watch that terrible Justice League pilot from 15 years ago and use those character designs to make the TV movie Justice League into bathroom attendents and then maybe you've got a t-shirt worthy of Teefury.
    147 weeks ago
    I know nothing about copyrights, but Jackpot I LOVE your Morpeth Jetsan design!
    147 weeks ago
    Matt_Dearden said: As I understand it, Teefury have had problems with DC/Marvel in the past and they tend to stay away from designs featuring those characters.

I can understand that. Marvel actually sells shirts...

Marvel_2DComics_2DMarv_2DSquad_2DT_2DShirt_2DComics.jpg

...so they could legally claim that a sale of a shirt from a third-party company is depriving them a sale from someone that could have bought licensed apparel.

I'm guessing that BBC Cymru (Doctor Who) and J.K Rowling (Harry Potter) understand that the third party t-shirt sales and likeness of their characters on a small number of clothing items aren't the money-makers for them ...or that having fan clothing actually grows the fan base and gets people interested in the actual DVDs-and-downloads / books-and-movies that are the primary source of income.
    147 weeks ago
    I know I watch too much television when I look at that graphic and go: "Ooh, Sheldon as the Flash and Conan as the Green Lantern... for some reason!"
    147 weeks ago
    @Jackpot777 yeah i would like to find that line. And i have this design on sale at Redbubble now.

@Jasonfever, i'm just going to take offense to whatever you said. idk exactly what you were going for.
    147 weeks ago
    mbecks114 said: @Jackpot777 yeah i would like to find that line. And i have this design on sale at Redbubble now.

@Jasonfever, i'm just going to take offense to whatever you said. idk exactly what you were going for.

Sorry you were offended but all you did was draw Superman holding a guitar...now if you had Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince bowling and you called it "The Bowling League of America" then you'd have something good. The best Teefury designs challenge the pop-consciousness and whatnot...just sayin is all.
    147 weeks ago
    mbecks114 said: @Jackpot777 yeah i would like to find that line. And i have this design on sale at Redbubble now.

Also if Superman, Batman, Green Lantern and Flash were to form a band I think they'd call it something like "Cosmic Treadmill" or "Miracle Machine" or "Boxing Glove Arrow" or "Jason Todd" instead of after the place they work at.
    147 weeks ago
    jasonfever said:

Sorry you were offended but all you did was draw Superman holding a guitar...now if you had Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince bowling and you called it "The Bowling League of America" then you'd have something good. The best Teefury designs challenge the pop-consciousness and whatnot...just sayin is all.

Sorry it's so boring. :/ I mean i know that Superman playing guitar is such an over done idea and all. And a bowling league is clever, but its no more "pop conscious" than a band.

jasonfever said:
    Also if Superman, Batman, Green Lantern and Flash were to form a band I think they'd call it something like "Cosmic Treadmill" or "Miracle Machine" or "Boxing Glove Arrow" or "Jason Todd" instead of after the place they work at.

I think if Superman Batman Green Lantern and Flash were to form a band, they'd call it the justice league. Because they kinda already did. Maybe a sticker on Flash's Keyboard like "Cosmic Treadmill" or something. Those suggestions were too specific to each character, not them as a group.

I mean i'm still happy with the design myself, i'm glad some of you liked it. I'm not expecting it to be used here at Teefury, but i wanted to get a reaction
    147 weeks ago
    Rules reminder: Please don't link to designs available for sale on other sites. We're trying to prevent the forums being a marketplace for things we haven't printed.
    147 weeks ago
    MJ said: Rules reminder: Please don't link to designs available for sale on other sites. We're trying to prevent the forums being a marketplace for things we haven't printed.

That was my bad.

HolyGrail135-733856.jpg

Sorry, got a bit carried away. Sorry!

147 weeks ago
    woops!