For those of you that have ever looked for inspiration in creating great-looking art with a limited number of colors, one of the legends is no more. Gene Colan has passed away.

He worked for nearly seventy years for Timely Comics in the 1940s, and was one of the cornerstones at Marvel. In 1969, Colan and Stan Lee created the Falcon, a frequent partner of Captain America and the first African-American superhero in mainstream comics.

"...in the late 1960s [when news of the] Vietnam War and civil rights protests were regular occurrences, and Stan, always wanting to be at the forefront of things, started bringing these headlines into the comics. ... One of the biggest steps we took in this direction came in Captain America. I enjoyed drawing people of every kind. I drew as many different types of people as I could into the scenes I illustrated, and I loved drawing black people. I always found their features interesting and so much of their strength, spirit and wisdom written on their faces. I approached Stan, as I remember, with the idea of introducing an African-American hero and he took to it right away. ... I looked at several African-American magazines, and used them as the basis of inspiration for bringing The Falcon to life."

-- Gene Colan, 2008 interview.

Gene Colan. He will be missed.
2Comments
    160 weeks ago
    (...just read what I wrote: he STARTED at Timely, then went to Marvel. He worked in comics for nearly 70 years. Sorry...)
    160 weeks ago
    I was going to say that I thought that the Black Panther was the first African-American super hero. Then I realized Panther is the first black super hero, but he's African, not African-American.

I wasn't familiar with Colan, but it looks like he did some pretty great work.