Back to forum
rss 146 weeks ago
UH hi, Julian Wilbury here. I admit I am one of those people who found this site mostly thanks to Doctor Who-- DON'T HIT! Luckily, though, this has nothing to do with Doctor Who, but I have no idea if this would be something people would be interested in.

A long, long, LONG LONG time ago (read: three years ago) I did this image based on my pet peeve about people going ON and ON about the superficial similarities between Johnny Five and WALL-E. I love both robots equally, f'serious, and as someone who can spit out a drawing of WALL-E in about ten minutes but would need a couple hours for Johnny Five, I think that's reason enough not to see them as "OMG ALIKE," at least from an artist's perspective.

Sorry it's large, but this is the old old original web-sized image. I know I'd have to re-do it and vector and limited-colour-it-up for a submission, don't worry, it's just that even though most if it would be traced, it would still be a lot of work, so I don't want to jump into anything that isn't viable. I've also had ideas for more MST3k shirts with the actual characters and maybe some HTTYD shirt ideas floating around (I love doing heraldic-style critters, and Toothless would be awesome on a coat of arms, or maybe Stitch as a Night Fury) but when I saw that I MISSED the "Here's Johnny" shirt a few weeks ago I wondered if this was actually a viable option-- people still seem to love this image when I pull it out, even if they do miss the point I was trying to make when I originally drew it. They still enjoy it, and at this point I've mellowed out about the subject enough to let people ignore my tired old rants.

Thoughts, whatever? It's always been one of my more popular pictures online; and I still having a grudging fondness for it, myself. Just dunno if I should go ahead and try to make it Tee Fury material.
19Comments
    146 weeks ago
    I think you should. We need more of this on the forum (it's incentive to me to try harder!).
    146 weeks ago
    I love both robots too! And good lord that is a fantastic design! Amazing detail and color.

I personally don't think they are THAT similar. Yes they are somewhat similar but not as much as some people say they are.

I am very happy I got the Here's Johnny shirt a few weeks ago and I would JUMP at the opportunity to get a shirt like this design.
    146 weeks ago
    ha!! i love those two robots :D I keep telling everybody about johny 5 when i was watching wall-e :D
    145 weeks ago
    Stuff is happening! I've been busy at the end of the month trying to finish all the paid work I could and also setting up new equipment.

001pefzt

(Again, before anyone asks: This is my work. I am tracing off the hi-res file because I flattened the PSD long ago. That and I want to fix some of the lineart anyway. So I am not stealing anything.)

I may fudge around with the colours when I get it all down, but I sort of wanted to test some of it with what little lineart I had already. I dunno how "detailed" or just how small hatching can get before it won't really print honestly. (For graphic design geeks who get these specs, this is a 300DPI file sized down for display at 75DPI. The thinnest lineart used in the hatching I'm using is four pixels [again, in 300DPI.] For reference most of the main outlines are 7-12 pixels.)

The version of Photoshop I use would make it a pain to use halftones and I'm not really sure how halftones would work with this anyway.

Thoughts? Advice? Jeers at me to stop posting my smurf?
    145 weeks ago
    I'm sorry but I'm going to have to amuse myself for a bit with the auto-censor.

Most excellent shirts! May I have these, Craphead?

(This is actually relevant in a small way to the design! ...A very small way.)
    145 weeks ago
    Love the design, can't wait until it's finished, so bump!
    145 weeks ago
    I adore this design. But I can't see how you're going to be able to get both robotsin there within the color limit. Good Luck with it! As I'd definitely buy one.

Oh and not to start a fight but didn't pixar artists actually say that Johnnie five was the inspiration for wall-e's design?
    145 weeks ago
    This comparison is new to me and seems unfounded, Johnny 5 is way bigger and the only vague similarity are their two tracks for movement.
    144 weeks ago
    Shoot, I just lost a whole huge comment. Well, maybe I can condense it now.

As for the colours, I think I'm past the hardest part which is actually J5's head and neck area. I'm gonna be simplifying a lot of the tiny fiddly details that a) won't show up well and b) people don't really notice anyway-- a lot of these pics were done trying to get them as super-screen-accurate as possible right down to tons of details...silly me.

As for WALL-E, it's actually pretty easy if I go for the colour scheme that's on the majority of the toys. I have one right in front of me right now...he's gray, yellow, black, white, with some touches of red I dunno if I'll bother with because his name will end up pretty tiny, but all those colours are already planned for. Also taking some inspiration from the retro-futuristic vector art they did for the movie... if you like that sort of retro-futuristic lineless vector stuff and haven't seen it (yeah, unlikely, I know) you should look it up, that stuff drove the vector artist in me crazy (with love.)

Also, for me, painting rust is very hit and miss no matter what medium or how many colours I'm working in, PERIOD. (The fake rust on some of the toys look pretty silly.)

RE: Similarities. Again, this pic was done years back when this subject irritated me, because as someone who drew both regularly and one took much longer than the other (guess which one!) I could see the differences easily. That, and a lot of the design traits that are similar are common solutions for making cute, relatable, but still somewhat functional looking fictional robots, and while yeah, they both have treads, they're both for pretty darn logical reasons. (One trundles around in trash, the other is supposed to be able to trundle around in all terrains and it's also a nice echo of military tanks which can come in handy when trying to design a military robot.)

That and it was also sort of a response to all these silly, silly pictures I was seeing of the two lasering/cubing the smurf outta each other, which was just ridiculous to me, considering they're both "lovers not fighters."

(Sorry I'm a huge character design and animation nerd so I can ramble about this stuff...a lot.)
    144 weeks ago
    Loving it.
    144 weeks ago
    001pgqp5

(If the image is stupidly large I will change it to a link.)
    So basically the past couple days have been spent with me Fussing and Grumping over screentones. Long story short I realised I couldn't get away with one shade of gray on WALL-E despite the fact it seemed to work on the toys well enough. So...basically trying to find a tasteful balance of screentones especially since I couldn't get it to look right on the majority of J5. I've been spamming my friends with pictures asking "THIS DOESN'T LOOK TOO TACKY, DOES IT?!" (J5's treads, when I get to them, should fill the screentone quota to balance out the image, but I'll have to see how it all turns out.)

Basically I've hit the point where I can't procrastinate on fixing/doing art re-construction on the errors I made on J5 years back by working on WALL-E, I think I hit a similar point the first time around. Also gotta totally fool around with the highlights on the various black tubing. (Tried using the gray, didn't exactly work.)

And no, I have no idea if TeeFury still does military green shirts, but I'm liking that swatch better than a lot of the others I've tried. :P
    144 weeks ago
    wow! I really like it so far.
    144 weeks ago
    Great work, exceptional detail. You have a lot to do to vectorise it all, but the result will be worth it in my opinion.
    136 weeks ago
    Other art projects (especially considering again, art is my only income at the moment) and the fact that I'm starting school again has gotten in the way. But this was never forgotten, and now I just have my fingers and toes crossed.

001q8z4s

Just submitted it after an artistic all-nighter. Here's hoping!
    136 weeks ago
    HA! well done!
    136 weeks ago
    dorkjulian said: Just submitted it after an artistic all-nighter. Here's hoping!

You must have some seriously red eyes after putting in all that detail. Good job :)
    135 weeks ago
    Oh man this is awesome!!
    135 weeks ago
    WOW that's so cool I like it a lot
    134 weeks ago
    Hey guys? Can I get a quick question in? I'm hearing waaay too many conflicting responses on how long to wait before you know your design has been rejected...I think going into this I remember hearing the email came within 2 weeks, someone else told me they heard it could take MONTHS, and I've also read between 2-4 weeks.

I understand there's probably hard and fast rules about this but if you can tell me of any of the above are waaay off the mark that would be super-awesome in itself.
    Thanks!