Back to forum
rss 148 weeks ago
Hi, I was wondering first, if its even possible for someone who is not a professional designer to get their work on here (cause i noticed its mostly the same people getting printed over and over)..I submitted some work around a year ago and got no word back.
I drew this up not too long ago and with the Laural and hardy shirt yesterday I thought there might be a want for that era movie star on a shirt. http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/165574_1468704649000_1575096969_30969155_679825_n.jpg
so anything you see i can improve on it or anything like that would be appreciated..anything that can get it closer to print.
thanks, im just an art student who thinks it would be cool to have work on a shirt.
13Comments
    148 weeks ago
    Couple of things:

- It's not really "the same people" over and over again- we've printed literally hundreds of unique artists :) When we're looking at submitted designs, we only look at the design (not who created it) so everyone has an equal shot.

- You don't have to be a professional designer. In fact, I think most (or at least a lot) of our artists are not. Today's designer is 17 years old (I believe our youngest ever was 15), and many others pursue art as a hobby rather than a job.

- We get TONS of submissions, so we're not able to respond to each artist individually. We do contact each designer whose work is chosen for print though, typically within a few weeks of the original submission.

- The most successful artists at TeeFury tend to be the ones who make and submit many well-crafted designs, on many subjects. The more quality pieces you submit, the better your odds :) This is the method used by those folks that you see printed repeatedly here.

Hope that helps!
    148 weeks ago
    165574_1468704649000_1575096969_30969155_679825_n.jpg

I haven't been 'published' on a shirt. Mind you, I work in an office and use free open-source software. But I get comments of encouragement from people that have been published (and one of the staff even tweeted that one of my TIPS: threads was good advice). So even though I get around 30 minutes a day to work on my ideas, I'm just going to keep on plugging away.

I registered a RedBubble account. The next step is to submit some of my designs for fun, and if someone buys one then hey, kaching.

There are lots of sites online and in brick & mortar places that will make your dream of seeing your design put onto cotton. We're all here for the added incentive of having people from British Columbia to Britain and Colombia buy your design and the money you get for being the day's artist, let's be honest!

Your design looks nice. But it's a really easy thing to do: trace around a person's outline and blank it out, then add the white line. The later iPod ads had some nice subtle psychedelic patterns going on, a kind of Spirograph kaleidoscope. That would add something. And Charlie's ankles look broken.
    148 weeks ago
    Heh, nice and clever design. Bue the blue is hurting my eyes :p

@MJ. I have a suggestion. At the submit page put the text "required" below or above the portfolio link bar. Because i for one, actually submitted a design once without linking a portfolio because i don't have one and didn't know that submits without a portfolio link get deleted right away. But if i knew beforehand that i needed one, i would have made a choice early on. Start working on a portfolio or not bother at all. With that design i posted i basically wasted time.

Just an idea! ;D
    148 weeks ago
    dimidi said: Because i for one, actually submitted a design once without linking a portfolio because i don't have one and didn't know that submits without a portfolio link get deleted right away.

Oh, nothing gets deleted! We look at every single design. It really doesn't matter whether you have a portfolio or not. Just keep working and keep submitting cool things and you'll be in good shape to get a print :)
    148 weeks ago
    dimidi said: Heh, nice and clever design. Bue the blue is hurting my eyes :p

@MJ. I have a suggestion. At the submit page put the text "required" below or above the portfolio link bar. Because i for one, actually submitted a design once without linking a portfolio because i don't have one and didn't know that submits without a portfolio link get deleted right away. But if i knew beforehand that i needed one, i would have made a choice early on. Start working on a portfolio or not bother at all. With that design i posted i basically wasted time.

Just an idea! ;D

thanks for the support, Im kinda color blind so color isnt always the best with me, ill check out other colors that theyve used in their ads. thank you again.
    148 weeks ago
    Jackpot777 said: 165574_1468704649000_1575096969_30969155_679825_n.jpg

I haven't been 'published' on a shirt. Mind you, I work in an office and use free open-source software. But I get comments of encouragement from people that have been published (and one of the staff even tweeted that one of my TIPS: threads was good advice). So even though I get around 30 minutes a day to work on my ideas, I'm just going to keep on plugging away.

I registered a RedBubble account. The next step is to submit some of my designs for fun, and if someone buys one then hey, kaching.

There are lots of sites online and in brick & mortar places that will make your dream of seeing your design put onto cotton. We're all here for the added incentive of having people from British Columbia to Britain and Colombia buy your design and the money you get for being the day's artist, let's be honest!

Your design looks nice. But it's a really easy thing to do: trace around a person's outline and blank it out, then add the white line. The later iPod ads had some nice subtle psychedelic patterns going on, a kind of Spirograph kaleidoscope. That would add something. And Charlie's ankles look broken.

thanks for the advice, I did think it was too simple, since im used to working on more layered work..but i wanted to keep it close to their original ad. but ill gather more references that show the things you brought up and re work. thank you again for the advice.
    148 weeks ago
    MJ said: Couple of things:

- It's not really "the same people" over and over again- we've printed literally hundreds of unique artists :) When we're looking at submitted designs, we only look at the design (not who created it) so everyone has an equal shot.

- You don't have to be a professional designer. In fact, I think most (or at least a lot) of our artists are not. Today's designer is 17 years old (I believe our youngest ever was 15), and many others pursue art as a hobby rather than a job.

- We get TONS of submissions, so we're not able to respond to each artist individually. We do contact each designer whose work is chosen for print though, typically within a few weeks of the original submission.

- The most successful artists at TeeFury tend to be the ones who make and submit many well-crafted designs, on many subjects. The more quality pieces you submit, the better your odds :) This is the method used by those folks that you see printed repeatedly here.

Hope that helps!

I understand, im sorry, I didnt mean to imply that. I guess i just alot of the popular artists come back with their work often. thanks for the word of encouragement and advice.
    148 weeks ago
    MJ said:
    dimidi said: Because i for one, actually submitted a design once without linking a portfolio because i don't have one and didn't know that submits without a portfolio link get deleted right away.

Oh, nothing gets deleted! We look at every single design. It really doesn't matter whether you have a portfolio or not. Just keep working and keep submitting cool things and you'll be in good shape to get a print :)

I had another question and when i emailed i didnt get a real clear answer...on your site you have a maximum pixel count and size for the pieces we turn in (640 x 800 pixels); with a 100dpi thats only 6.4/8, that seems very small and the designs on the shirts look bigger, do you ask for a larger copy when/if you like it and decide to print?
    148 weeks ago
    Here's one of the later ads. Hot criminies, MORE Halftone shading.

ipodsixarmlady.jpg
    148 weeks ago
    MJ said:

Oh wow! I think i misread something then! Ups srry xD Good to hear it's not like that! :)
    148 weeks ago
    Jackpot777 said: Here's one of the later ads. Hot criminies, MORE Halftone shading.

ipodsixarmlady.jpg
    cool! thank you so much for showing me, i found one with tiedye and thought you may have ment that. thanks again.
    148 weeks ago
    deadenglish said: do you ask for a larger copy when/if you like it and decide to print?

Yes, we do :) Once a design is selected we send a special link so that the artist can upload the full size design. We use a smaller size for submissions because it makes it easier to see them quickly and keeps us from using too much bandwidth.
    147 weeks ago
    MJ said:
    deadenglish said: do you ask for a larger copy when/if you like it and decide to print?

Yes, we do :) Once a design is selected we send a special link so that the artist can upload the full size design. We use a smaller size for submissions because it makes it easier to see them quickly and keeps us from using too much bandwidth.
    cool, thank you for the clarification and the speedy and concise response :).