Back to forum
rss 148 weeks ago
I was wondering if two of the six allowed colors could possibly be mixed for a t-shirt; Y'know for shading and stuff. Thanks.
6Comments
    148 weeks ago
    When two colors overlap on a screenprint they can produce a third color variation but im guessing teefury doesn't do that. It would be next to impossible to determine exactly the hue and shade of the third color
    148 weeks ago
    There are a few threads on a technique known as Halftone shading. Some of them are 'how to' threads by myself and Tuism (6-18-2011's featured artist who used the technique on his piece). 

One of them which contains info from Jimiyo on keeping a non-Halftone version of your art. And I've spent hours doing one piece without considering keeping a version without the shading. 

Bugger!

Halftone shading is the ability to create intermediate shades or colors by using very fine dots. Just as a TV picture or a JPEG on a computer monitor looks like a seamless image at a distance, you can get gradients like this...

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

...with just two colors. 

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    147 weeks ago
    Thank you, that's very helpful.
    147 weeks ago
    I have also found the halftone shading technique in the link below pretty helpful. If shows how to do the halftone shading with lines instead of dots. Just one of a million ways to tackle shading. Hope this helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjun0CnnoUo
    147 weeks ago
    TheBensanity said: I have also found the halftone shading technique in the link below pretty helpful. If shows how to do the halftone shading with lines instead of dots. Just one of a million ways to tackle shading. Hope this helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjun0CnnoUo

Ooh, I was thinking of looking for a technique this wekend, as I was manually adding lines to an air cowling on a helicopter by manually drawing a few spaced lines, then copypasting them down the page and merging the levels.

What I want to do is something in a technique called Intaglio.

Counterfeit-Intaglio.jpg

It's a way of adding shadow in the way an engraver would do it. Using a series of very fine repeated lines.

102814.jpg

M.C.Escher was the king of this.

relativity.jpg

And if anyone can point me to a website that details how to shade like this using GIMP (or any other software), I'd be a happy camper. I can do it manually, but I'd love for their to be a way to duplicate the effect in software to give a whole piece that particular look (without needing 50+ hours to manually add the lines!).
    147 weeks ago
    I guess there is a reason why actual etchings are still done the old fashioned way. the lines follow a suggestive pattern that on one hand shades the object, but it also gives it certain structure and depth effect. a computer can't do this by itself, because it cannot tell the depth or way the structure is supposed to flow to look good ... not from a 2 dimensional input that is.

you could try and come up with a clever custom brush to reduce the work load ... but that's all I can think of, really

bottom line: I haven't seen any convincing "digital etchings" that didn't involve a lot of manual wrist fraying detail work ...