Back to forum
rss 149 weeks ago
Recent idea/Design is a boxing match between the world's finest! Superman vs Batman! Inspired by my love for DC Comics and the vintage boxing posters from the Fracas and the Caracas (http://psdtuts.s3.amazonaws.com/271_Retro_Boxing/final_large.jpg)

here is the World's Finest Championship Fight:

Photobucket
Thoughts?
19Comments
    149 weeks ago
    Comments? Suggestions?
    148 weeks ago
    Clark Kent, 'Superman'? No way! He's clumsy and awkward. And besides, he wears glasses (Superman has x-ray vision). I thought that beat it all ...but the boss of Wayne Enterprises as the Batman? HA!! Sure, next thing you'll be telling us that Perry White moonlights as Spiderman when he's not too busy as the editor of the Daily Planet and that's why they always seem to get the exclusive pictures of him!

The stories some people tell...
    148 weeks ago
    As for the art: it's great. I just don't think anyone would print it big scale without prior DC Comics approval.

Which means it has to be as good as this...

batman-vs-superman-locked-in-million-dollar-comic-battle-545x355.jpg
    148 weeks ago
    haha well i'm no jim lee, but i went for a more simplistic look for a t-shirt. i actually wasnt sure if i was able to use dc characters or not. people use star wars, dr who, etc all the time here, and i've seen a batman shirt before.

Thanks for the feedback!
    148 weeks ago
    lawsuit in 5.....4....3....2.....
    148 weeks ago
    Ok so i actually can't submit this at all?

What determines which characters/series we can and can't use? Why are we allowed to sell firefly, dr. who, chuck, etc designs and not DC or Superhero designs? I'm just curious as to which is off limits and what is not
    148 weeks ago
    You can sell it as long as it can be considered parody. So if it were like Superman Vs. Doctor Who it might be OK. But this design is probably too similar to the source material.
    148 weeks ago
    oh ok! So this isn't parody enough? is there anything i could add/change to make it sellable or could i argue that it already is?
    148 weeks ago
    Probably shouldnt have "DC Comics Present" at the top of the design...Wiggen's idea is genius though..do that
    148 weeks ago
    I hate Dr. Who so i'm gonna pass. The DC Comics presents seemed appropriate at the time. i'll see how it looks without it
    148 weeks ago
    Photobucket

Here it is without the "DC Comics presents..."
    I was also thinking about adding Boxing gloves to them? I have hope that it could still be viewed as a parody since for superheroes who are supposed to be such great friends, they do fight a LOT
    148 weeks ago
    Because there has already been a Superman versus Batman in comic form, having that wouldn't be seen as parody.

This would be parody; Hulk is in the dentist's chair, squeezed in really tight. Superman is doing the x-rays with his eyes. Batman is the dentist, pulling a dentist tool (mirror, scraper) from his utility belt. The Joker is meant to be administering the gas but he's too busy huffing the nitrous himself. Harley Quinn is on standby in her nurse outfit as the hygienist.

That would be a parody. Each character recognizable for what they can do or how they are. But in a completely different situation.
    148 weeks ago
    So is it a visual thing? Like Superman and Batman fighting is a no-no, even with the "World's Finest Championship Fight" joke?
    148 weeks ago
    Simple test. If it looks like it could have been made by the original IP (intellectual property) holders, then it's probably not doable.

This can VERY easily sell on DC's own store.
    148 weeks ago
    Well i guess that's kind of a compliment even if it is disappointing news
    148 weeks ago
    is there anything i can do to save this?
    148 weeks ago
    mbecks114 said: is there anything i can do to save this?

There's a saying in the world of writing. It's heartless, but is probably the best advice anyone wanting to submit a creative idea for money can hear, whether it's creative writing or creative design or creativity in any other field.

Murder. Your. Darlings.

It's advice from Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch, best remembered for the monumental Oxford Book Of English Verse 1250–1900 (later extended to 1918).

Your darlings are your babies, your ideas. You gave birth to them. You've poured hours of work into them. They’re yours. And sometimes it’s extremely difficult to let go of those fun, fresh, and fantastic thoughts that have taken so long to reach the form they're at. But if there are good reasons why your project won't be accepted in its current form, sometimes it's best to let them die at your hands.

And you must be vicious. You must be lethal. You must have no mercy. If the pen is truly mightier than the sword, use it to snuff out any idea that you’re keeping around for the wrong reasons or forcing into the piece just because you like it.

Because every minute you pursue an idea that can't be accepted for legal reasons is 60 seconds that you could be working on a variation, or a new idea, that could be accepted.
    148 weeks ago
    Hadnt realised 'Worlds Finest' was also a DC comics trademarked name lol...the only way I can see to save it is to do something obvious like throwing in a Fight Club reference...though I imagine that would work better with a Superman vs Clark Kent or Batman vs Bruce Wayne design. Failing that you could use something like Smash Brothers/Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat.

Be a shame if it cant go through as is or with a more vintage fight poster look (saw your post on Comic Vine).
    148 weeks ago
    Aww man