Back to forum
rss 149 weeks ago
The reason is: I'm working on an old design, the Xenomorph. And I'm adding text in Japanese so I need to make sure it's a good translation.

The phrase in English is "some days, you get the bug. Some days, the bug gets you." I know: the actual saying mentions "bear", not "bug / insect". It's a reference to the line spoken by Private Hudson: is this a straight-up fight, or just another bug hunt.

I understand that some idioms in one language do not translate directly (for example: the French words for 'everybody' literally translates as 'all the world'), so I have replaced 'some days' with 'occasionally'. And 'get' with 'capture', because 'get' can mean understand, or acquire, or even to travel (get the bus into town).

折々、昆虫は捕獲される。 折々、昆虫は捕獲する。

"Occasionally, a bug is captured. Occasionally, a bug captures."

Is this an acceptable use of Nihonjin to convey the sentiment of "some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you", but with an insect instead of a bear?

(And apologies for the vast majority using Windows that don't have the Japanese language pack installed, and can only see squares where the Japanese hiragana and katakana characters are. If you're viewing this on an iPhone or a Mac, it will display the text.) If you're using IE8 on Windows, for example, click here to install the MUI Pack that allows you to see Japanese text.
3Comments
    143 weeks ago
    I'm learning japanese and I'd say your text is accurate.
    however nihonjin means japanese person, nihongo means japanese language.
    143 weeks ago
    Walrus said: I'm learning japanese and I'd say your text is accurate.

however nihonjin means japanese person, nihongo means japanese language.

Sumimasen (I keep doing that (Watashi wa, Nihongo no seito desu)).
    143 weeks ago
    And why exactly is Japanese in the design? I wondered the same thing about the Blade Runner design from a while back...