Back to forum
rss 163 weeks ago
I've been purchasing from TeeFury for quite a bit now and would LOVE to submit some designs. I'm currently working towards my Bachelor's in Graphic Design (just received my Associates) and think this would be a great way to showcase my abilities to employers (considering we keep rights to our art, which is awesome by the way) as well as gain a little extra money for college!

I have a couple questions about submitting though. Of course, if anyone knows answers to these please feel free to let me know, but I'd think these would be directed to staff.

1. What resolution should these be in? I would assuming 300 ppi for anything printed, but the shirt printing process is unfamiliar to me.

2. Is it better/preferred to submit a .jpeg with the proposed shirt color as the background or a .png with transparency?

3. (IF #2 is answered with .jpeg submition preference) Because shirt color can make or break a design, are we able to submit the same design with different color backgrounds, or is it preferred that only one version is submitted and shirt color can be determined later when tweaks are being made?

Finally: 4. I see there is a portfolio link section when submitting. I had a great portfolio site but literally just canceled it. The site was part of a class final and we were told we could cancel the year-long submission fee for our domain and get a refund for the time we didn't use. Naturally, being a college student, I would rather have the money at this time, especially considering I'm continuing my degree and not entering the workforce yet.

Basically, what I'm asking with #4 is: how required is it that submitting artists have a portfolio site? Am I basically out of luck from canceling my domain, or are we able to leave it blank when submitting? If we can't leave it blank, am I able to just enter my old domain address even though it's offline without any penalty?...
11Comments
    163 weeks ago
    When submitting just upload it with the background with the shirt color.I just asked about the portfolio and you don't need one.
    163 weeks ago
    Just a little advice, having a web portfolio is totally worth the cost. I just bought my first website and its literally $25 a year (17 for the site and 8 to keep my info private). That is a very small price to pay for the world to view you more professionally. Just my two cents :)
    163 weeks ago
    When in college every dollar counts. I loved my portfolio site, and will update and re-upload it after a while, but right now I need every cent I can get.
    163 weeks ago
    to answer some of your questions:

yes, 300ppi is nornally where it's at. the submission itself (what you upload right from the submission box here on teefury) is just a jpeg to showcase your design, NOT the design itself. TPTB will contact you if they're interested in you design. as far as I know they prefer either layered Photoshop images (or Gimp or whatever you use) or Vector based files (which, I guess, makes the ppi question obsolete). It's pretty useful to seperate colours (therefore, the background too) in different layers, makes it easier for teefury to get the design print-ready.

And I believe deviantArt offers a neat portfolio service as well ... and I think it's for free. but you better check that, I'm not sure about it ...

163 weeks ago
    arlight, I checked devianArt's portfolio service myself (and put my portfolio up there as well) and there's a (pretty basic, but fully functional) free version and a Premium version for $30 a year or something ...

guess that's not too shabby ...
    163 weeks ago
    I provide a link to my redbubble page - which is 100% free and you can sell t-shirts while your at it. Can't be better than that eh ?

http://www.redbubble.com/people/geekchic
    163 weeks ago
    Thanks a lot for the info kgull, and GeekChic- there's just one problem with redbubble: I don't have any shirts designed yet. This would be my entry. Well, technically I've made shirt designs for my graphic design services, but that doesn't really count considering no one is interested in wearing those!

Hopefully I have enough good ideas and can crack them out easily enough to sign up with redbubble. I have checked it out before to purchase a shirt I missed here on TeeFury and think it's great.
    163 weeks ago
    To me, having a facebook page is pretty awesome for the purpose of Portfolio if you do it right :)
    163 weeks ago
    You can take a look at this for example - it can do with some (lots) of improvements but I think it's a very good option.
    163 weeks ago
    1. 300 dpi.

2. Preferred in order, psd with design separated from BG with proposed BG color, png with transparent bg, vector and lastly flattened jpeg.

3. If we accept your design, we'll choose the shirt color based on our shirt blank availability, marketing, etc.

4. Any portfolio link is acceptable. Sometimes the lack of one indicated that it's a fake artists trying to submit someone else's work. Portfolio eases our apprehension with an unknown. Also you might have better designs in the port.
    163 weeks ago
    Thank you so much for getting back to me! Now I am really regretting the cancellation of my portfolio domain. I will look around and find a good free portfolio service. I already know of LinkedIn having a fairly good one. Now I just need to get started on shirt designs, as I'm sure if I submit one without others in my portfolio it won't look too good.