Back to forum
rss 152 weeks ago
Hi guys.
In this design i've got cowboy mario riding bullet bill as a buffalo.
6 Colors including background. I got 3 different colours for the bg using a halftone.

These are the things i'm not sure what to choose:

Eyes open or closed?
Castle or Hill?
Buffalo fur or no fur?
And of course any combination of 3.

What do you guys think? I can never gauge what people will actually prefer so i need you guys to tell me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

24Comments
    152 weeks ago
    When I read the title, I was completely expecting a mario/silence of the lambs crossover XD

I can't see the pictures, but going on imagination, I'd say closed, and hill. I'd have to see the fur and no fur, but I'm inclined to say no fur.

Mario is recognizable enough on his own. Putting in western elements instead of mario elements will make the bill reference more noticeable.
    152 weeks ago
    Eyes open, with fur, with the hill. If you weren't at the 6 color maximum, I'd say add a desert themed Mario baddie but I like the design and concept.
    152 weeks ago
    Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback.
    Primus, your choices are what i hoped people would prefer, thank you!

I may still be able to stretch that color limit using another halftone. I could probably achieve a green using the blue and yellow.

What type of baddie would you guys like to see featured?
    The obvious being bowser, but maybe a koopa or piranha plant?
    152 weeks ago
    You could put in the angry sun from mario 3.
    152 weeks ago
    wqreytiupolk said: You could put in the angry sun from mario 3.
    Or you could put in a pokey. (one of the yellow cactus things)
    152 weeks ago
    Thanks, nice idea.
    I tried adding them more inside the background, but they didn't look too good up against the halftones, so i put them more towards the horizon.

Does it add anything? Or is a bit unnecessary?
    152 weeks ago
    I think they're a bit hard to see.
    152 weeks ago
    Also, i couldn't get a green by halftoning blue and yellow.
    It would just turn into a lightbrowny blue color.
    Any tips on that?
    152 weeks ago
    yruFeeT said: I think they're a bit hard to see.

Here's a fix. Though i feel like the composition has been compromised. He looks slower. And the pokies have such an odd shape themselves, they feel out of place now. Thoughts?

151 weeks ago
    I would take the focus completely away from the background and make mario and bullet bull bigger and more detailed, that's the money shot :)

great concept, love it :)
    151 weeks ago
    Tuism said: I would take the focus completely away from the background and make mario and bullet bull bigger and more detailed, that's the money shot :)

great concept, love it :)

Thanks man, i'll try that out.
    It means i'll probably have to redo the halftone, but i'll take that opportunity to add a shadow underneath him, like i had in the original sketch. I also had luigi who i scrapped once i realized i didn't have room for green.

151 weeks ago
    i'd simplify that bg. Bg is too powerful, it takes away attention from the main element. The colors in the background needs to be less attractive. Maybe you can try to just use yellow/orange tone on the background and just add some simple shading with red halftones.
    151 weeks ago
    MEKAZOO said: i'd simplify that bg. Bg is too powerful, it takes away attention from the main element. The colors in the background needs to be less attractive. Maybe you can try to just use yellow/orange tone on the background and just add some simple shading with red halftones.

I agree the background may be too strong.
    Though i don't understand what you mean by adding shading with red halftones? Do you mean reduce it to one tone of orange rather than 2, and add red shading to bring out the shapes?
    151 weeks ago
    Red on blue creates a huge contrast, i say that just use skin color and yellow for the bg and just add some shading by using some red, but not as flat colors but by halftoning.
    151 weeks ago
    Okay, i didn't ditch the red completely, but i did redo the halftone and decided to tone it down a bit. Now it's more of a middle orange than a red orange. I also added a shadow. And i was able to achieve the same skin color just by half-toning the yellow and white together. Spiffy! Unless someone has any game changing feedback, i think i'll submit this.

151 weeks ago
    It looks like everyone wants to critique you and not enough compliments. So here you go. AWSOME!!! There is never too many mario shirts. Keep 'em comin.
    151 weeks ago
    I would make the background physically smaller... Further in the distance maybe. Plus it'll have the bonus effect of making the design portrait, which will fit a tee better :)
    151 weeks ago
    Tuism said: I would make the background physically smaller... Further in the distance maybe. Plus it'll have the bonus effect of making the design portrait, which will fit a tee better :)

okay, i did try this when you first suggested it, but didn't like the change in composition. The background didn't seem to wrap around him so nicely. Is this what you had in mind?

151 weeks ago
    That looks cooler.... But you'd have to rework it a bit to put the focus back on mario... I do like that it's more vertical than horizontal now!! Maybe a few more elements? Us the sky!

Good job man
    151 weeks ago
    aaa
    you're really nice.
    but i thought the whole point of reducing the landscape was to put the focus more on mario, how has the focus been lost?
    151 weeks ago
    I think its pretty much perfect you just need to scale Mario down a tiny bit. Like maybe 10 or 15%
    151 weeks ago
    IMHO, the clouds and the mountain is looking down instead of up at Mario, and there's not enough supporting elements in the environment to be a background to mario...

So if you give him a world to live in, he might live happier :)

I think, perhaps.
    151 weeks ago
    Aww I was sooo looking forward to seeing Mario gazing creepily through a Peach-face skin mask with a tuckunder..
    150 weeks ago
    Dude I would totally wear this, it's great!