Back to forum
rss 152 weeks ago
Discuss: Denim is supposed to be a rugged hard-wearing fabric that moved up from the working-class.

Then why the heck do only my denim pants have holes in them?
7Comments
    152 weeks ago
    The fabric they use for jeans now is not in the same league as the fabric 'de Nimes' that Levi Strauss imported from France in the 19th century.
    151 weeks ago
    Oh? So original denim wouldn't go all holey like the ones we have now? Interesting fact. I wonder if that calibur of denim still exist somewhere, and if they wouldn't get worn like my jeans.
    151 weeks ago
    (seriously, this is the kind of stuff I think about)
    151 weeks ago
    It wouldn't wear out as quickly, but you would be making serious concessions in comfort. The original denim fabric was very stiff, probably more akin to heavy canvas then any clothing fabric that we are familiar with today. When people started wearing denim for aesthetic, rather than practical, purposes they would often times run the jeans through a drier filled with something abrasive in order to soften up the fabric.
    151 weeks ago
    My jeans still hold up pretty good after close to 2 years. And they arent even branded ones like Dickies or Levis or what not.
    151 weeks ago
    I wore Silver Tab Levi's in the early 1990s, and 501s and 551s either side of that. Twenty years ago, they were really something. You know that fashion 'look' where the legs are frayed? That's because those parts of the jeans WERE the first to go.

Now? The bottom of the legs fray after a few weeks. And it's not as though I'm wrecking them through excessive use of clothing as a brake when skateboarding. I'm in my forties. They've sold out their name for the sake of maximum profits.

RAAAAAAAAGE!!!
    151 weeks ago
    Odinsravens said: It wouldn't wear out as quickly, but you would be making serious concessions in comfort. The original denim fabric was very stiff, probably more akin to heavy canvas then any clothing fabric that we are familiar with today. When people started wearing denim for aesthetic, rather than practical, purposes they would often times run the jeans through a drier filled with something abrasive in order to soften up the fabric.

Hence the term "stone washed jeans"...