Back to forum
rss 166 weeks ago
this might end up getting removed but i'm trying it.

First and formost I want to say I mean no disrespect to the artists that have done dr who art and had it printed, good job all around to all the hard work and dedication to your fandom and to your craft.

I, like many check this site daily. I have made many purchases as well. One thing I've noticed though is how whenever a Dr Who design pops up, and there are many, you have the millions of people that love it and the millions of people that hate it but the number one complaint i see is how often dr who designs get printed. I chose tonight to try and start this discussion since what do you know its dr who again.

this is not to say that other series aren't ran into the ground, like star wars or mario. but its gotten to the point of alienating people from the site, its like how we had lost shirts every tuesday for a while.

I am not a Dr Who fan, I'm not a lost fan, It seems to me that its more greed on teefury's part than actually supporting the artists, meaning hey lets print dr who cause it'll sell more than anything and we all make more money that way.

I've also seen, and had my own comments, removed or edited whenever i mentioned this trend before. just doesn't seem fair we saw alot of great designs by talented artists get pushed aside and ignored because there wasnt a police box in it. Its not the way.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is maybe do a Dr Who shirt the first tuesday of every month or something similar instead of flooding us, your loyal teefurians with so many of the same thing, and give other artists a shot.

go ahead, flame, maim chim in and discuss... or remove, whatever no sweat off my back
55Comments
    166 weeks ago
    I agree that series like Doctor Who or Lost get the limelight more often than others and it's definitely a concern but first and foremost you have to remember TeeFury is a business. They have to make the money they need to keep their doors open so that one day they will be able to take a risk with a certain design. All you can do is visit the site often and buy the shirts you like.
    166 weeks ago
    You'e right, there are way too many Dr. Who shirts (torchwood counts too), it's frequent enough to feel like it's all they sell. Maybe it's just because i'm not a who fan myself, but i'd like to see more variety.
    166 weeks ago
    It is discouraging to see so many dr who shirts, but like bearcounty said, its a business and they have to make the money. We cant blame teefury, but the fans of Dr. Who that will buy anything that has to do with the show in general. I wouldnt be any different, if I saw dr who selling, Id put out alot of dr who as well
    166 weeks ago
    Unless you buy 365.4 shirts a year, this is not an issue.
    166 weeks ago
    popcorn.gif
    166 weeks ago
    tenth-and-his-3d-o.gif
    166 weeks ago
    Honestly, I'm not trying to be rude here, but I don't understand how this is a "debacle" or even a problem. They put up a new shirt every day. Of course there are going to be things that aren't to your taste. When I see another design for Star Wars or zombies or something else I'm not into, I shrug and check back again the next day.

Also, like is said above, this is a business. Doctor Who shirts sell. Why shouldn't they sell t-shirts they know to be popular. And, you can call it greed and say they are alienating people, but the fact they these shirts sell show that they are also obviously pleasing a great number of people.

And not for nothing, because there have been quite a few Who designs (I've gotten five of them) but I also think if it's something you don't like you're more likely to notice it and think that it's happening more than it actually is. I used to feel that it was all Star Wars all the time, but then I actually looked back at the archive and that was just my negative confirmation bias shining though.
    166 weeks ago
    Ooh, popcorn.

Photobucket

OM NOM NOM.
    166 weeks ago
    Read the comments, even Dr. Who fans realize there's an excessive amount of who shirts. But hey, if you want to buy a new shirt every week why not

I dont have a problem with the greed aspect, they sell what sells, but i'd still like to see them mix it up more.
    166 weeks ago
    Here's my two penny's worth.

I only found out about this site not two weeks ago. My nephew pointed me here for the Federation United shirt. I bought it primarily for the Man United angle (and also, I'm a bit of a Trekker). So I submitted a variation of the Three Lions shirt (with three irons on it. Laundry's coming home) on what I thought were the same lines. But looking at the gallery, I see the sporting designs that were accepted weren't because of the sporting aspect of the design. It was the science fiction aspect. I was trying to give the people what I thought they'd want, before I'd fully ascertained WHAT people here actually wanted. So I'm more than happy with the idea that my first submission will not be accepted (maybe I should hawk it at one of the unofficial footie t-shirt companies, naming no names).

People are here to buy what they like (and frequently do). The website owners are here to pay their bills, meaning they'll take a design that moves 1,000 units over one that will move 10. So we designers have two choices: we can either stick by our artistic guns, complain how shows we don't watch or games we don't play take up an inordinate amount of the patterns offered. Or we can understand what the market is, and adapt accordingly. The second way may mean our designs are never chosen... but the first way guarantees it.

I've been rich and I've been poor. Believe me, honey, rich is better." -- Sophie Tucker; also ascribed to Gertrude Stein, Mae West, W.C. Fields, &c.
    165 weeks ago
    I guess one of the reasons I like seeing a lot of Doctor Who shirts, is that I *don't* buy every one. If it's something that comes along rarely like Arrested Development or LoTR I'm tempted to buy even if I'm not wild about the design, just because I like the reference. Whereas with Who it's easier for me to be more discerning, because I know another design will come along sooner or later.
    165 weeks ago
    AMEN, optimusjimbo. this place used to be about actual original, creative and artistic designs; now it's devolved into a bunch of pop-culture references and mash ups, because they know that's what will sell. yes, it's a business and i understand their need to move merchandise, but there's got to be a better compromise; when four or five out of seven days are now devoted to brainless references and mash ups, you alienate a large portion of your native userbase (the ones who made this place what it is [or formerly was, at least]), who come to see the great original, thought-provoking designs that were formerly the basis and foundation of this community.

but let's don't complain too loudly, else they start editing and deleting our posts. ::rolleyes::
    165 weeks ago
    rockasaurus said: AMEN, optimusjimbo. this place used to be about actual original, creative and artistic designs; now it's devolved into a bunch of pop-culture references and mash ups, because they know that's what will sell. yes, it's a business and i understand their need to move merchandise, but there's got to be a better compromise; when four or five out of seven days are now devoted to brainless references and mash ups, you alienate a large portion of your native userbase (the ones who made this place what it is [or formerly was, at least]), who come to see the great original, thought-provoking designs that were formerly the basis and foundation of this community.

but let's don't complain too loudly, else they start editing and deleting our posts. ::rolleyes::

It never pays to insult your potential customer pool. It also pays to underestimate the intelligence of the great unwashed. Some people may be dumb*, but nobody likes being thought of as being the opposite of original and thought-provoking.

*nobody here fits that description, by the way. YOU people are discerning fashionistas and it's a privilege submitting designs for your gorgeously shaped torsos. Every last one of you. And you know it too.
    165 weeks ago
    I called this threat the debacle because as stated above yes even dr who fans are getting sick of it and teefury is removing or editing posts with complains about it.

from the business aspect go look back in the gallery, this dr who craze started after the lost craze, teefury did just fine without doing the same design over and over.

i would dare to say that teefury's number one design was the zombie obama, it was funny, controversial, well done and made to be just that, it wasn't made to get hot pancakes in less than ten minutes.
    165 weeks ago
    rockasaurus said: AMEN, optimusjimbo. this place used to be about actual original, creative and artistic designs; now it's devolved into a bunch of pop-culture references and mash ups, because they know that's what will sell. yes, it's a business and i understand their need to move merchandise, but there's got to be a better compromise; when four or five out of seven days are now devoted to brainless references and mash ups, you alienate a large portion of your native userbase (the ones who made this place what it is [or formerly was, at least]), who come to see the great original, thought-provoking designs that were formerly the basis and foundation of this community.

Amen rockasaurus, they do too many red shirts. I've had occasions where I didn't get a design that I liked because they printed it on red. I'm not much for random swirls on a shirt so I, like most people, didn't start coming here since a few months ago but they printed a lot less red a few months ago. Clearly I am upset and they should never print on red.

Although I am glad they have thoughtful, funny pop culture references most times and leave the art tee's to their sister site somewhereelse.com. They do a better job with them.
    165 weeks ago
    optimusjimbo said: teefury is removing or editing posts with complains about it.

That's not really the intention. Posts on the front page are supposed to be about the shirt of the day, the artist, and/or the sideart. They are not supposed to be rants about TeeFury as a whole or the subject matter.

We ask that people respect the artists we're featuring by using the front page to actually discuss their work. That's it.

-

As far as Doctor Who goes, we average about two shirts a month, which does not feel excessive to me (especially since they are often best sellers, and it's one of the biggest sci-fi franchises on the planet). We get TONS of Who submissions (seriously, it's insane), so what you see printed on the site is the cream of a pretty massive crop. There are a lot of other subjects we'd love to tackle (including a lot of things mentioned in the suggestion box), but are waiting for designs that hit the right level of quality and appeal. Firefly is one we looked for designs about for a long time before finding a couple that were completely amazing and perfect for the site.

Hope that helps explain where we're coming from on this :) Remember to let us know what you'd like to see more of, and encourage the artists you know to submit their work!
    165 weeks ago
    I feel this would be an appropriate place to display my latest submission...

Photobucket
    165 weeks ago
    joebot said:

Ha! I like it. A good palette cleanser for this conversation.
    165 weeks ago
    Knock knock.

Who's there?

To.

To who.

To WHOM! To WHOM!
    165 weeks ago
    Doctor Who isnt my favorite I would count Firefly, Star Wars, and Stargate amongst those but I love Doctor Who and will continue to buy the ones I like, which isnt every one. I see no reason to stop putting them out if people buy them. The artists arent being hurt because they choose to make them and are getting paid for it. Twenty-eight days a month are of "other things" So I dont see how anyone can complain until The Doctor stops selling.
    165 weeks ago
    I think it's strange how people are making a big deal about it.
    I don't like Star Wars, I know other people love it. When I see a SW shirt I go on to the next "of the day" site.
    165 weeks ago
    Went into McDonald's yesterday. I was appalled that they didn't have sushi. So appalled I went back and was even double-ly appalled that they still didn't have sushi.

They did however have the McRib, but woe, only til next week. I want McRib to be available at all times, even though I don't go eat there everyday.
    165 weeks ago
    Internet users feel entitled to things because they have belonged to a site for any arbitrary length of time. The people who came after them are ruining it. More at 11.
    165 weeks ago
    jimiyo said: Went into McDonald's yesterday. I was appalled that they didn't have sushi. So appalled I went back and was even double-ly appalled that they still didn't have sushi.

They did however have the McRib, but woe, only til next week. I want McRib to be available at all times, even though I don't go eat there everyday.

slow clap
    165 weeks ago
    A good portion of my wardrobe is TeeFury shirts.

None of which are Dr. Who shirts. I among those who are intensely annoyed at the amount of Who recently.

However... I'm annoyed for say... 2 minutes. Go to a different site, and check back the next night at midnight. It doesn't ruin my day or cause me any mental breakdown.... I just don't give TF my business on that particular day.

I actually like the idea that someone else mentioned earlier in this thread. Devote 1 day a month to Who. Or possibly even a full week once every quarter. But... that "average" of 2 a month seems a little off, especially in recent months.
  • Load More Comments