Back to forum
rss 166 weeks ago
So, this is my first design that I am planning on submitting, but since I dont feel like it's completely there, I thought I would put it up here for critique first. If you didnt get the reference, its Gob from arrested development, and a shirt advertising his "magic show" ;)

Have at it, kids. Let me know what to fix/change.
(and thanks in advance for the feedback)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
26Comments
    166 weeks ago
    this is a great start for the design, but it's a little naked right now. I think it needs a 3rd level of highlighting, along the nose and on the shoulder/chest of the shirt for example. I think it would also look great with a warm color starburst in the back, kind of a visual representation of his theme song, but looking like a comic book explosion. Like take this design and push it over the cliff it's sitting on, make it as ridiculous and over the top as it's name-sake.

I think this one could en up being really popular :)
    166 weeks ago
    I agree that it looks a little bare, maybe something about the Magicians' Alliance?
    166 weeks ago
    Needs at the very least a seal in a bow tie.
    166 weeks ago
    I also agree that it needs a little something more. Maybe just some more color or something in the background, or perhaps a couple nods to his failed illusions.

Another thing you could think about would be the tricks vs. illusions debate that seems to always go on with Gob. That always cracks me up.
    166 weeks ago
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I plan on implementing some of your feedback today (hopefully), and will re-post later.

Thanks again, its much appreciated :)
    166 weeks ago
    Loving this so far!
    166 weeks ago
    BTW i really hope that you pull this off! I have been waiting for an arrested development shirt and Gob is easily my favorite character, so if you get even remotely close, it is an instant buy for me. Good luck!
    165 weeks ago
    Ok, did some work on it, and it is looking a lot different now to say the least. I am still working on his face, but I think i am going to take a break on it for today.

As always, feedback is much appreciated.

165 weeks ago
    Just kidding, here is the most up to date

165 weeks ago
    Man! I can't delete/edit old comments, so excuse me while I
    seemingly spam my own post.

This is the most updated version, and hopefully the last one I post before i get some comments to break up these images ;)

As you can see, this can work on multiple colors. (the gradient isn't apart of the design, just an aesthetic), and i bulked up some of his facial features.

165 weeks ago
    Love the red, warmer colors will catch the eye faster than cooler colors, so the sunburst boosts that even more. So it's good, but I like the original face and design better, like buying wise, I wouldn't get this one cause it's not as obvious where it's from. Again, in no way being discouraging, I think most of us didn't expect you to ssmurf the other one and start over.

Just my opinion, keep up the good work
    165 weeks ago
    no, thank you so much for the feedback! I've been getting similar comments from other people as well, so that just further confirms that i need to revisit my original concept.

Again, thank you :) Hopefully i get this nailed down!
    165 weeks ago
    I LOVE the blue one!
    165 weeks ago
    I absolutely love the new design. I would instantly buy either of those colors but I like the blue one better. Hell, I'd probably buy 2-3 of these shirts for friends that I am trying to get into AD. Awesome updates though, keep them coming.
    165 weeks ago
    I also think you should revisit your first design. I like it much better, but I do like them both! Nice work!
    165 weeks ago
    I did some polls, ya know around my apartment. Results are unanimous people who don't laugh at this lack a funny bone/soul
    165 weeks ago
    the first design looks more like gob then the second
    165 weeks ago
    Some people are saying its hard to recognize but I think that's the plus of it. Its not hitting me over the head with the concept but any ad fan would see the face, illusions and alliance references and make the connection. I think it looks great
    165 weeks ago
    Alright, so taking all feedback into consideration, I just kind of melted the 2 concepts together. Still feel like it needs some work, but def hitting a roadblock :/

Thanks for the feedback thus far! :)

165 weeks ago
    Is there only one magician in The Magician's Alliance?

If there's more than one, the apostrophe needs to be shifted over one place.
    165 weeks ago
    nice catch!
    165 weeks ago
    165 weeks ago
    I love it, but I think it is missing the dead bird reference from the first one. I wish there was a way to work that in because it is a nice, subtle touch on easily his funniest scene (for me at least). I'd buy any of those three!
    165 weeks ago
    I think add a thin shadow line on the left neck and you got it
    164 weeks ago
    It's coming together very nice!
  • Load More Comments