Back to forum
rss 154 weeks ago
A Firefly/Doctor Who themed shirt with River Tam and River Song.

So far, I only have the River Tam part used...

Used Halftones for the shading. Only 5 colors used (including shirt color.)

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Also, if any staff see this, how small can I make the halftone dots?
47Comments
    153 weeks ago
    cant wait to see this finished...Tam and Song...epic win.
    153 weeks ago
    This is pretty sweet. I'm imagining them standing back to back, pistols drawn, with the caption "there's no power in the 'verse can stop us."
    153 weeks ago
    @TheSaint08D Thanks, and to be honest, I can't wait either!

@Odinsravens Thank you. I was actually thinking of having them facing each other, but I think I might make them back to back!
    153 weeks ago
    I don't know if it would be too much cluttler, but what about maybe having the tardis behind river song or near her and have the ship near River Tam?
    153 weeks ago
    @marine3228 I'm not sure about clutter-wise, but I'm out of colors... I will try it though. thanks for the suggestion!
    153 weeks ago
    Say Hello to Ms. River Song!

5713991793_1ac11d368f_z.jpg

6 Colors, including Background All shading is done in Halftones. Any thoughts, Ideas, suggestions?
    153 weeks ago
    I think they should be back to back with the same stance. Other than that it's a great idea and brilliant art.
    153 weeks ago
    it's a cool concept but I do agree it would better if the Rivers were either doing the same pose or back to back in maybe a gun duel stance getting ready. I would buy it if it was picked. Simple but creative
    153 weeks ago
    love this idea but i agree with the above people about a charlie's angels pose or something
    153 weeks ago
    I think an advantage to having them stand in profile is more facial definition.
    153 weeks ago
    @Odinsravens Yeah, I'm still trying to find some reference material of River song in profile. I tried doing it 100% freehand, but it ended up not looking like her at all. I was thinking of possibly using some shading or even a line or two to give more definition.

This is my latest draft. I'm not sure about the text...

5714690691_c819c55e03_z.jpg
    153 weeks ago
    Submitted! Thanks everyone for your suggestions and feedback! Here is the "final" design.

5715523512_2f8e37fe04_b.jpg
    153 weeks ago
    Also, I did a mock-up of the image on a teeshirt for fun!

226361_10150592378880150_903680149_18793368_3511400_n.jpg
    153 weeks ago
    No chance of seeing River Song in profile? This would be such a sweet design if they were back to back...
    153 weeks ago
    sadly this doesn't do much for me without some facial features...

anyways its a nice design and a good idea that will probably sell tons anyway :)
    153 weeks ago
    @drwyrick I submitted it like this, and if it doesn't get accepted, I'm going to do it back to back. I've been looking for some reference material of River Song in profile, and I can't find anything that would work on here as well as suit her character. Most of the time when she holds her gun it's at arm's length, and that would make her too wide to have on the shirt without making her incredibly tiny. (I hope that made sense.)

@PureInvasion If this doesn't get printed as it is, I'm going to try and draw River Song in profile, and give them both more facial features.

Thanks for the input!
    153 weeks ago
    Love the design, but as you have it on that shirt in picture it would wrap around the sides and youd lose the image under your arms it would need to be much smaller and facial features would improve it I think.
    149 weeks ago
    Due to suggestions here, and on Facebook, as well as the design not getting picked up, I re-drew River Song in profile. I still need to do some shading, but here's where I'm at now.

5827158697_077cf49d1a_z.jpg

6 colors on Dark Chocolate Tee
    149 weeks ago
    Great idea, basic outlines dont cut it though
    149 weeks ago
    love the idea but it's not something i'd buy at the moment. I preferred River (DH) with the white shirt. She looks like a Charlie's Angel in the new one. sorrY!
    149 weeks ago
    lgb52 said: Great idea, basic outlines dont cut it though

I am still adding shading to River song.

Also, as for outlines... 1294752401_BOTTOM__011105h23m17.jpg Sold on February 14th.
    149 weeks ago
    beckashell said: love the idea but it's not something i'd buy at the moment. I preferred River (DH) with the white shirt. She looks like a Charlie's Angel in the new one. sorrY!

Now, is it the pose, or is it the color? because the color is based on the costume from Season 6 episode 1.
    River-Song-from-Series-6-river-song-17938821-800-453.jpg

The main reasons I changed the pose, is because:

1: It was not chosen as is...
    2: I also felt Song did not have enough facial definition.
    3: Look above at @DoctorWhy, @Gir15, @Ridinggirl, @Odinsravens, @drwyrick, and @PureInvasion's comments.
    149 weeks ago
    I would consider Matt's outline alot more distinctive than River Song's. The River Tam image seems to be from a Sarah Connor Chronicles promotional image but at least its recognisable as Glau.
    149 weeks ago
    I think that if you are using basic outlines, you might consider taking out the halftone/gradients. Just like the picture you referenced.
    149 weeks ago
    @lgb52 Yes, it is more distinctive. Also, Glau's is from SCC, but the most badass pictures of her in Firefly/Serenity, involved her crouching with an axe and a sword :D

@IG_HateyHate That's something I was thinking, too. I want to add the shading to River Song first, then see how it looks with and without. But as it is, it does provide a nice side-by-side comparison.
  • Load More Comments