Back to forum
rss 282 weeks ago
Not to sound like I'm prying (don't know if this is a trade secret or whatever), but is there an average number of tees sold in 24 hours? I don't feel like I'm getting the big picture on how well-known this site is, how it compares with others in terms of sales, etc.
Just curious.
24Comments
    281 weeks ago
    i've been wondering too. maybe we aren't supposed to know...

but i've always wondered "how many others own this shirt too?"
    281 weeks ago
    im intrested too.
    anyone know?
    281 weeks ago
    The last time it was ever mentioned they wanted to keep it Secretz.
    281 weeks ago
    I would like to know.. I know the artists get $1 per tee sold...

but how many tees do they really sell?

How much do they really make?

281 weeks ago
    it was talked about recently in another thread. someone find it, unless it was deleted...
    281 weeks ago
    we could just find several artist and do an average if they will tell us how much they made! hmm..
    281 weeks ago
    The most sold shirt sold 205 and that was 3 months ago or so. But things might of changed.
    281 weeks ago
    I thought it would be more than that.
    281 weeks ago
    The artists were asked not to share the amount sold.
    So to respect that, all I am going to say that my tee was on sale here in August, and it sold more than 205. :)
    281 weeks ago
    jimiyo -- In a way I can see why -- but on the other hand, why should it be?

Vo1ture -- If that number is correct, it's pretty much in the ballpark of what I was thinking. Since this is a pretty new site and everything. But I bet it will go up as it becomes more popular (shirt.woot for example is way more well-known, but in my opinion the shirts here ate Teefury tend to be better).
    281 weeks ago
    AlexW: You are certainly the inquisitive type. I can appreciate that.

I am not at liberty to say, rather, it would just be my opinion as why it should or should not be, since they have not really expressed why we should maintain secrecy.

If it were my personal opinion, why should the data be privileged to the public? Beyond shirt.woot.com, is there any other outlet that specifically states the quantity of the product it sells?

What benefit would it provide to the consumer?

I suppose one of the rebuttals would be that you want to know how many people own the shirt, but seriously, for a $11 shirt, are you really discriminating and paying for the privilege to own a limited run shirt? (Though... know that relative to woot, any shirt you buy is quite exclusive unless the artist sells the design to another company.)

Anyways, I agree with you. The site is new, the sales arent as impressive as shirt.woot, but I feel in the long run, Teefury has the potential to be printing a hella shirts, and it's been a long time since I have been willing to sacrifice my time for a cause that is speculative.

I personally will bring Teefury the good stuff as far as the designs I submit in hopes that in the future, they will rake in the dough.

I believe in this site. The majority of Woot's shirts have a certain aesthetic which I feel is somewhat amateurish. Teefury I hope antes up on woot and differentiate itself from the low cost leader in shirt sales with high end designs.

Then all the mommas and poppas can continue buying woot shirts, and then those who are a little more discriminating in their tastes will purchase from Teefury.

Blah blah blah.
    281 weeks ago
    Olechka, by the way your shirt was pretty awesome.
    281 weeks ago
    jimiyo -- I couldn't have said it better myself. I know woot is really the only place that states it, but that's what made me curious about this site... because as I said, Teefuy seems to be obviously (to me, at least) better. But I also know that it's new, so it's a peculiar situation.

About whether or not the data should be made public, I think there are equal arguments on either side there. But whether or not it should, it isn't, but it's really not that important anyway. I think you can get a pretty good sense just from the number of comments/the activity of the forums/the all-around small-business feel (which I like!).

So that's really my rebuttal. It's not really a rebuttal at all, since we're all agreeing with each other here.
    Yay, Teefury. Haha.
    281 weeks ago
    I am not an artist, but I can think of a reason why some would want to know. From an artist's point of view, one might want to know if it was worth their while to submit their design here or not. Just my 2 cents.
    281 weeks ago
    I seem to remember Layne saying that Furious Omnibus had passed 400 sold with about an hour left in the sale so the numbers are definitely on the rise.
    281 weeks ago
    The short answer - unless you are JamesCho, do not expect to get rich selling shirts. The amount of shirts you sell has to do somewhat with your network; how many people do you know who will fwd your upcoming design to those THEY know, and are in the demographic of those who wear artsy shirts? I'm pretty happy with the numbers on my last week debut - they were in the "goldilocks zone". The numbers aren't stellar, and there is no upfront bonus ala woot, anothersite, etc, but then again it's an easier process and you still own the work afterwords. Bottom line: If your shirt prints, you will likely get enough to have a nice meal, or perhaps a very nice meal, or a cheap hooker.

For most of us, the t-shirt biz is an expression of creativity, and a fun way to mass-market art. I'd say if that interests you, then it's certainly worth subbing since (unlike other sites) they don't lay claim to your stuff for 60-90 days (which is frankly ridiculous). I'd say that once they decide NOT to print, then rights should revert. But hey, what do I know?
    281 weeks ago
    Yeah, I would basically agree with what has been said; having a shirt printed at teefury will never make you rich- even if it ends up being a comparatively big seller (mine wasn't, I don't think!), it will probably pay less than most freelance art projects. BUT, on the other hand, it gives you a great bit of exposure for the day, bolsters your portfolio, will doubtless garner a few more followers for your artwork and gives you an opportunity to get involved in a great fledgling business.

Also, as Aegis says, you are then free to do whatever you like with the artwork after the day; mine has since been sold on for use on band merchandise.

So my advice to artists would be to submit and see what comes of it. If you have something that you think stands a reasonable chance at a competition site like anothersite, you might want to hold out for the chance at a massive payout (you're very unlikely to get a previously printed design picked up by any of those companies), but definitely give the fury a go too.
    281 weeks ago
    You don't really have anything to lose by submitting art to teefury. You get the license back, so it's kind of a good test run.

I, personally, have made around 1.85 million dollars from teefury sales this year, so I can't complain.

that's not entirely true.
    281 weeks ago
    jecrt, i like you entirely non-true statement. it made me smile.
    281 weeks ago
    almost 500 peoples saw my website and my portfolio today due to Teefury
    i got a lot of freelancing and full time jobs offers in my email so with such an exposure who cares about the money :)
    281 weeks ago
    okay.. so I'm getting mixed messages as far as the future of teefury.

It seems like people want the site to grow, but then they pride the fact that it feels like a small business.

Does teefury want to be as big as anothersite, or dbh? I know teefury definitely makes a point to differentiate itself from other sites; but how much does it want to grow?

What marketing efforts are currently being made?
    (word of mouth seems to be doing some good.)
    281 weeks ago
    crowface63 - Since I was sort of one of those people, I'll respond. I do think this site is awesome, and therefore I naturally want it to grow and succeed. But even if that happens I don't think it necessarily means the community feel goes down the drain. The physical number of people will go up, sure, but the attitude and culture of the whole site could stay the same I'm sure.
    281 weeks ago
    Marketing efforts like the inclusion in Design By Humans's email newsletters appear to be doing the trick and bringing in new visitors :)

I think TeeFury's goal is to get bigger because it means that the artists we feature get more cash. As this happens, customers get access to more artists and more variety in what we can offer. Sounds like a win-win situation to me!
    280 weeks ago
    I'm enjoying this intelligent discussion.

*bump*