Back to forum
rss 156 weeks ago
Carbon Chilled

G’day Teefurians,

Above is my revisited “Carbon Chilled” fantasy Star Wars beer label (after v1.0 didn’t make the grade and tbh really is better for having work done to it).

I’m now in need of an external sounding board and constructive feedback/review + would people actually buy it and is it okay in terms of copyright??? The beer exists in SW EU in name but I’ve never seen a “real label” for it ever, basically joking/pretending as if Mr Solo was promoting it.

In this latest version I’ve:

•• Removed majority of the way too fine dithering and "muddy" colour overlays (only 4 halftone bits now)
•• Clearer vector work with enlarged logos, outlines and block shapes
•• Additional and improved colour palette (neo 40’s/retro 50's style)
•• Bolded text and overall enhanced font readability

Lots of nods to Star Wars and Han Solo going on:

•• "Corellian Spiced Ale was the spicy version of Corellian Ale. It was a preferred alcoholic beverage of Han Solo." - starwars.wikia.com
•• Cheeky Aurebesh sentence needs to be decoded
•• "EST. 1977" ie "New Hope" released
•• Made by my fictional "Five Brothers Brewery" or "5BB" (the Corellian system contained five inhabited worlds collectively referred to as the Five Brothers)
•• "Aluminium Falcon" with it's six-pack on the back and open can in the centre (go Robot Chicken!)
•• "Brewed in Coronet City" the capital of Corellia (Where Han comes from)
•• "V% Alc/Vol" set on Han's belt buckle and a nod to Episode V when Han is frozen in carbonite *brrrrrr*
•• "Best Served Carbon Chilled" & tee title (see above)
•• Han's shirt and jacket making up the centre label backing with his trousers side red seam pattern on the outer ring (along with carbonite panel buttons)

Really looking forward to hearing what people think – there’s a stack of good artists, curators and tee fanatics here I’d happy listen to, to much improve my sub chances and tee designs.

Cheers all,

Barn aka HtCRU

PS “Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a cold pint at your side, kid.” - *Hic* Solo
79Comments
    156 weeks ago
    Looks fantastic! I would buy it as is. Well done.
    156 weeks ago
    Looks great! I can't see anything wrong with it, so goodluck with submission! :D
    156 weeks ago
    I love it....I think two of Han's blasters crossed somewhere would look cool...
    156 weeks ago
    MarshMan65 said: I love it....I think two of Han's blasters crossed somewhere would look cool...

Twin blasters sound cool, but I think a) I’m out of room lol and b) Han did only use one gun, so it’s not cannon (teehee-hee). Maybe up above and left and right of Brewery logo in the light grey? Hmmm, perhaps if others really push for this inclusion, else it might be too much crammed in one design tbh.

Thanks for fast feedback – great to hear ideas I didn’t think of or include.
    156 weeks ago
    I never fail to be impressed by the talent here. It looks very good.
    156 weeks ago
    Great idea! I think it looks awesome, my only suggestion would be to remove the circular indents on the top and bottom making it a complete oval shape like most beer labels. other than that, it's great
    156 weeks ago
    Like I said I love this design already. but maybe Instead of the design saying brewed in Coronet City maybe it should say brewed on the spice mines of Kessel? Just a suggestion...
    156 weeks ago
    Taking notes - good stuff all... :-)
    156 weeks ago
    This is pretty sweet. Even though I am embroiled in a bitter LOTR vs. Star Wars feud right now (pro-LOTR), this is still a really cool design.
    156 weeks ago
    Odinsravens said: This is pretty sweet. Even though I am embroiled in a bitter LOTR vs. Star Wars feud right now (pro-LOTR), this is still a really cool design.

Guess I have to do a LOTR design as well then ;-)
    156 weeks ago
    wow very cool
    156 weeks ago
    I woulda named it 12 ParSecs Corellian Spiced Ale, but still excellent work
    155 weeks ago
    Nice design! I thought that the Millenium Falcom + trail was some kind of phallic looking cricket stump... But a second look corrected it :P

+1UP :)
    155 weeks ago
    Carbon Chilled

I like the link with “Spiced ale” to the “Spice” in the Spice Mines of Kessel but the fact it’s know as a prison or slave camp doesn’t sit right with me when the labelling/branding seems very polished and official. I want it to be from somewhere on Corellia (to link with the origin of the ale and Han Solo). The capital makes sense to me – like Dublin is home to Guinness… smuuuuuurf, now I want a Guinness… ;-)

Had trouble adding in the crossed guns (but I was very curious to see how they’d look). I’ve made a revised version utilising them at the top and bottom within the curve indentations. I’ll keep updating this file if other changes are made.

Let me know if this is a good addition or not please peops. Thanks again all.
    155 weeks ago
    well the bottom crossed guns works well and actually you can try to make them slight bigger. And for the top, maybe it would be better with Rebellion logo or just a silhouette of Millenium Falcon. Btw maybe you can make the white stroke around the red ribbon thingy thinner.
    155 weeks ago
    MEKAZOO said: well the bottom crossed guns works well and actually you can try to make them slight bigger. And for the top, maybe it would be better with Rebellion logo or just a silhouette of Millenium Falcon. Btw maybe you can make the white stroke around the red ribbon thingy thinner.

File updated. Have enlarged the guns (flipped vert. as well) and reduced the centre white border. Having two different logos/icons top and bottom looks odd for a label and breaks the overall symmetry of the packaging. Besides, I don't want this to be a rebel beer or have the Falcon displayed again. It's either guns top and bottom (forming the crest like shape) or just the outer ring. Happy for either depending on what people say they like better - with or without.

Cheers MEKAZOO /salute
    155 weeks ago
    I had to look VERY hard to see what guns you guys were talking about, so yeah it needs to be bigger and clearer :)

Man I dig that colour scheme, gonna steal it for something :P

Nice one :)
    155 weeks ago
    I rather like this design being a fan of both Star Wars (especially Han related stuff) and Beer (especially....all of it).
    Im pretty sure this would be a buy if it was for sale.
    155 weeks ago
    I think that whole Coreallian bandoleer thing should be moved up quite a bit. it just sits too low for my taste ... pulling the whole weight down instead of centring it. other than that ... a definite buy
    155 weeks ago
    Tuism said: I had to look VERY hard to see what guns you guys were talking about, so yeah it needs to be bigger and clearer :)

Yeah, I'm tending to think that they are too small and clutter the design, plus I don't want them to be bigger coming even further off the top and bottom.

Hmmm, gut instinct is saying remove the indents and have a complete oval circle edge like mentioned, but we'll see... zzz for now... :-)
    155 weeks ago
    not sure i'm feeling the blasters on the top/bottom of the oval, otherwise, it's a solid design
    155 weeks ago
    and I do realize that 1977 is the year Star Wars came out, but isn't there a real date than can be referenced from the film? Est.1977 doesn't make sense if it's meant to be a spoof beer company.

"The chronology is maintained according to narrated time rather than real-world time and publishing chronology. For this purpose, a calendar based upon the Battle of Yavin in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope is used. In this dating system, BBY stands for Before the Battle of Yavin,[2] and ABY stands for After the Battle of Yavin,[3] so 50 BBY comes before 5 ABY, as with BC/AD in the Gregorian calendar. The defeat of the Empire at the Battle of Endor (four years after Yavin) has been used as an alternate starting year, but has been superseded by the current system. When Bantam Spectra held the license for Star Wars novels, they described their books as after Endor, but Del Rey, the current license-holder, exclusively uses ABY."
    155 weeks ago
    Why is "ale" left lower case? I don't know anything about beer label type setting because I'm honestly not a fan of alcohol at all, but "Spiced ale" just looks weird to me since it's supposed to be a subtitle. It could be a common trope of beer labels though, I have no idea. Great design either way!
    155 weeks ago
    I like how this design looks but holy hell am I sick of Star Wars.
    155 weeks ago
    HtCRU said:
    Odinsravens said: This is pretty sweet. Even though I am embroiled in a bitter LOTR vs. Star Wars feud right now (pro-LOTR), this is still a really cool design.

Guess I have to do a LOTR design as well then ;-)

Yes please, I would be anxious to see such a design.
  • Load More Comments