So this Dr. Who comes to America thing has me intrigued. I watched the first episode of the series that starred Christopher Eccleston and thought he was awesome and that it was an interesting concept.

That being said I never watched more and don't really understand how the show works. I'm about to watch the season 6 premiere that aired yesterday, but don't really get where I'll be in it. The show restarts all the time? Am I in the middle of a doctor or am I starting fresh?
10Comments
    156 weeks ago
    Kinda in the middle I would watch the 10th doctor david tennant
    156 weeks ago
    The best places to start are probably either at the beginning of the Ninth Doctor (season 1 of the rebooted series) or at the beginning of the Eleventh Doctor (season 5 of the rebooted series). Personally, I would say start with the Ninth Doctor and work your way through Ten and to Eleven. It's worth it!
    156 weeks ago
    Just watched the episode and was confused at first (it really was right in the middle) but that didn't really matter eventually. Not really sure how to just start with certain doctors without the DVDs. Nothing after 2007 is on netflix instant.
    156 weeks ago
    If you're just wanting to get into New Who and not Classic Who, then I suggest starting at the beginning of the R.T. Davies reboot with Doctor 9 (Eccleston- year 2005) and moving forward. The writing and plot gets a lot thicker with Doctor 10 (Tennant). So I wouldn't say starting in the middle of 10's portrayal as the doctor is wise, you'll miss a lot of juicy plot twists and build up with villains and 9 & 10's companion. But most especially, you'd end up watching Freema Agyeman instead of Billie Piper.

If you want to continue watching the new season that just started and watch the rest of what you've missed when you have more time, just start at the beginning of season 5 and you'll understand the new characters: http://www.sidereel.com/Doctor_Who_(2005)/season-5/episode-1/search

Also, just as a heads up, Doctor Who is mostly a toss up between great and bad episodes. It's become a lot better since Steven Moffat (was an occasional writer since the reboot) took over after R.T. Davies moved on. He's written a lot of really witty and gritty episodes, so Doctor Who is more hits than misses now.

So, there ya go. :)
    156 weeks ago
    CrashKas said: If you're just wanting to get into New Who and not Classic Who, then I suggest starting at the beginning of the R.T. Davies reboot with Doctor 9 (Eccleston- year 2005) and moving forward. The writing and plot gets a lot thicker with Doctor 10 (Tennant). So I wouldn't say starting in the middle of 10's portrayal as the doctor is wise, you'll miss a lot of juicy plot twists and build up with villains and 9 & 10's companion. But most especially, you'd end up watching Freema Agyeman instead of Billie Piper.

If you want to continue watching the new season that just started and watch the rest of what you've missed when you have more time, just start at the beginning of season 5 and you'll understand the new characters: http://www.sidereel.com/Doctor_Who_(2005)/season-5/episode-1/search

Also, just as a heads up, Doctor Who is mostly a toss up between great and bad episodes. It's become a lot better since Steven Moffat (was an occasional writer since the reboot) took over after R.T. Davies moved on. He's written a lot of really witty and gritty episodes, so Doctor Who is more hits than misses now.

So, there ya go. :)

Thank you Kas! I followed the link (nice link, didn't want to have to pay lol) and watched the first ep of Season 5. So awesome! Definitely gonna be watch through that and then catch up with season 6. Once that's done, I'll go back and watch the stuff on Netflix instant stream.
    155 weeks ago
    Am seven episodes through S5 (and one ep through S6 lol), loving this doctor!! I wish Chris Eccleston was the most recent doctor though, because I love the higher quality graphics and picture - and since he's an awesome actor I would have liked seeing him now better.
    155 weeks ago
    Ben Yes Schwartz said: Am seven episodes through S5 (and one ep through S6 lol), loving this doctor!! I wish Chris Eccleston was the most recent doctor though, because I love the higher quality graphics and picture - and since he's an awesome actor I would have liked seeing him now better.

Yeah, personally I think both the writing and the special effects improve a lot as the show goes on, so Eccleston doesn't really get as much of a chance to shine, unfortunately. At least David Tennant and Matt Smith both do a great job, though. =)
    155 weeks ago
    i actually started watching this show because of teefury. i'm barely at the beginning of Tennant's run though. I loved Eccleston but Tennant has been pretty good so far. I'm liking the series for what it is. Can't wait to catch up to the current season.

Do you guys think the Dr. Who movies are worth watching? or are those just extra storylines?
    155 weeks ago
    robeebort said:
    Do you guys think the Dr. Who movies are worth watching? or are those just extra storylines?

I suggest running through the separate episodes that tennant did. I am not exactly sure what you mean by "the movies". They are all episodes that came out between seasons as specials. I enjoyed the specials. If you must choose between choose the last few specials of David Tennant because they all kinda come into the reason Tennant's doctor must regenerate.
    155 weeks ago
    robeebort said: i actually started watching this show because of teefury. i'm barely at the beginning of Tennant's run though. I loved Eccleston but Tennant has been pretty good so far. I'm liking the series for what it is. Can't wait to catch up to the current season.

If you mean the specials that come in between the seasons, I think they are worth watching. Mostly they're extra storylines but sometimes they introduce important things. For example, the Christmas special in between season 1 and season 2 is the first time that the Tenth Doctor gets to do anything and you get introduced to his character. Some of the specials also introduce people or ideas that get come back later.