Back to forum
rss 157 weeks ago
Hey TF artists and staff,

When converting gradients in 300 DPI Photoshop files to get halftones via Mode -> Greyscale -> Bitmap using Halftone Screen, what Frequency is the best quality setting I should look to pick (to maintain image detail) whilst realistically still being able to be printed onto a tee without blur or colour merging problems etc?

I know a lot can depend on the machine/process being used by the printer but what would other artists and TeeFury staff recommend for TeeFury subs? I have been using Round 75 lpi at 45 degrees which is lovely detailed, raster/pixel “dither” but I’m thinking that I may have enthusiastically picked a too higher setting and actually between 45 to 65 Frequency lines/inch would be a better bet for t-shirts (trying 55 atm to see results on screen but don't know how it prints irl ofc).

Let me know any tips or experiences you can provided on the matter.

Many thanks all,

HtCRU
4Comments
    156 weeks ago
    Does anyone have an answer for this? I'd like to know myself. Thanks!
    156 weeks ago
    Any regular/well printed artists have thoughts on this or examples of the dither range they work with (or rules of thumb on halftone sizes)???
    156 weeks ago
    When submitting it would be good if you kept a copy of the raster non-halftone version just in case the lpi isn't suitable for our printer. If you leave it raster/nonhalftoned, we'll typically convert for you.

75 would be too small. Most printers with automatics operate at "45 to 65 Frequency lines/inch."
    156 weeks ago
    jimiyo said: When submitting it would be good if you kept a copy of the raster non-halftone version just in case the lpi isn't suitable for our printer. If you leave it raster/nonhalftoned, we'll typically convert for you.

75 would be too small. Most printers with automatics operate at "45 to 65 Frequency lines/inch."

Cheers J. Oddly, I was just watching http://www.vimeo.com/2811225 which has your work as the example :-)

Good idea about the non halftone "copy" though. I think I'm going to try some gradient test at 45 and 55 to see the difference and shading effects I can get on the same design (perhaps stick with a lower value if poss).