Back to forum
rss 171 weeks ago
I don't really get all the buzz about Dr Who...maybe it's because I haven't watched it since I was a kid

ok so where's the best place to start season wise?

I just downloaded all 4 seasons of Torchwood which I'm told is a spinoff series

any suggestions?
43Comments
    171 weeks ago
    I've seen episodes with the tenth Doctor Who and I honestly thought it was god awful, sorry guys. For me it was tantamount to watching that cheesy ass Hitchhiker's movie spanned across numerous episodes (I've never liked Hitchhiker's much either, novels included).

I've also witnessed people in real life debate about Doctor Who for hours and it frightens me beyond belief. I've been turned off to watching anything Who related ever since. It seems like the most unaccessible media franchise ever made.
    171 weeks ago
    I put off watching it, never thought I would like it then I decided to watch it and I love it. Start with the new seasons thats what I did Series one with Christopher Eccleston as the 9th doctor.
    171 weeks ago
    I caught an episode once a few years ago with Tennant and thought it was the stupidest thing in the world.

Then I started watching the recent incarnation of the show- starting with Eccleston. Starting from that point, and not just jumping in the middle of a season because I caught it on TV made the show make a little more sense.

Now that I'm caught up on the recent series, and Torchwood, I really like it. Yeah, it's more than a little campy at times, but it's so entertaining!
    171 weeks ago
    I have to agree with everyone here. Start with Series 1 with Eccleston. Watch that and the second series of Doctor Who and then watch series one of Torchwood before going onto series 3 of Doctor Who. You'll understand and enjoy it better that way.
    171 weeks ago
    I watched torchwood first then doctor who now that I have watched doctor who I understand more in torchwood.
    171 weeks ago
    Dude! I'm with you....

Until a few years ago my only knowledge of Who was from a Simpsons joke, comic book guy had a wheelbarrow full of tacos for the Dr. Who marathon. Then it started popping up here like crazy!

I want to check it out, but it's daunting–there's a lot of seasons, and I think continuity goes through all of them, but I may be wrong about that...
    171 weeks ago
    I still haven't watched any of the classic doctor who I don't think you need to watch them to enjoy the new series.
    171 weeks ago
    Start with 2005's First Series. A lot of things will be explained from then on. There still might be a few things you'll need to look up though.
    171 weeks ago
    word to the mother
    171 weeks ago
    cool! thanks for the help guys!

I'll start with the 2005 series
    171 weeks ago
    well, If you don't like Tennant, I don't know what to tell you. I started with the first season of Eccleston but I hated it and didn't watch it for a whole year but then my sister made me watch one with Tennant and I completely fell in love. I think that the best one to start with would be episode 2 of season 3 but that is just my opinion. Torchwood is also great but its hard to understand without having a background knowledge of Doctor Who. I would compare Doctor Who and Torchwood to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel.
    171 weeks ago
    Yeah, definitely start with the 2005 series with Chris Eccleston. It pretty well establishes the Doctor's history without giving too much away or leaving new viewers out of the loop from watching the old series.

As for Torchwood, the first 2 seasons are ok, but the Children of Earth miniseries for their third season is probably the best chunk of TV I've seen in a while.
    171 weeks ago
    Chris Eccleston is fantastic. Tennant is alright, but if you don't like him, get for three whole seasons with him. He was there for way too long.

Matt Smith's alright, too.

If you have Netflix, watch some of the old episodes with Tom Baker and others on there as well. The old series did not have as much of a storyline throughout the season as the new series does, so you can just watch one-offs.

Hope that helps, and hope you enjoy! :)
    171 weeks ago
    Thanks again...hopefully I'll be up to speed in no time
    171 weeks ago
    I would say start with season 3's "Blink," its kind of a random choice but it really gets your feet wet with the idea of Doctor Who. I've got a few people hooked with that episode. After that, if you still want to watch, start with Ecceleston's Season 1 and work your way chronologically through to Matt Smith.
    I watched Torchwood, after watching Doctor Who and found it more satisfying knowing the background.
    I really love Doctor Who, but can understand that its not for everyone. But if you give it a chance...
    171 weeks ago
    i've never seen it either. X_X
    171 weeks ago
    ArmaNarma said: Chris Eccleston is fantastic. Tennant is alright, but if you don't like him, get for three whole seasons with him. He was there for way too long.

Matt Smith's alright, too.

If you have Netflix, watch some of the old episodes with Tom Baker and others on there as well. The old series did not have as much of a storyline throughout the season as the new series does, so you can just watch one-offs.

Hope that helps, and hope you enjoy! :)

Actually, Tom Baker's first season was technically one long voyage, he had the Key of Time season and his last season linked with the next Doctor's first season which linked with the season after.

The popular Doctors are 4, 10 and 11. Watch them. If you like them, check out the others.
    171 weeks ago
    dont call doctor who stupid.
    just cuz u dont like it
    i would start at David tennant personally
    some say he was the best doctor of all time but some of the shows were really bad so dont judge straight away, like the one about Agatha Christi.
    You could start at Chris Eccleston as well.
    he was brilliant
    hope that helped
    171 weeks ago
    Start with series 1. It's a bit dryer than the 10th doctor but still good. And like someone said earlier, it sets you up for the rest of them.

I hated torchwood so I can't really say anthing about that.
    171 weeks ago
    Star off with the 2005 series then to the ones that came after that.

It's going to seem incredibly cheesy at first, but it gets much, MUCH better later.
    170 weeks ago
    with most things british its a bit of a hit or miss with the american populace.
    170 weeks ago
    Just start with 2005. Remember that it's supposed to be a bit cheesy and give it some time. Rose will bug the smurf out of you, but you'll grow to tolerate her. You'll be pissed for all of 10 seconds with Tennant takes over. You'll cry when he leaves. You'll grudgingly give Matt Smith a chance and immediately love him. You'll always count the shadows. You'll forever associate gas masks with your Mummy. You'll never look at stone angels the same.

But more importantly, you'll learn to enjoy life and treat everything like an adventure. You'll find yourself taking a moment to breathe and think, "What would the Doctor do?"

You'll love it. Just give it a chance.
    170 weeks ago
    Torchwood mostly blows but I love the Who universe so much I watched every single episode.
    169 weeks ago
    I see a Weeping Angels tshirt in our future...
    169 weeks ago
    Ive seen them all and a huge fan start at the beginning or you won't get it.
  • Load More Comments