Back to forum
rss 158 weeks ago
Lately, I am pretty dissatisfied with the amount of Dr. Who / Star Wars tees. It is no longer funny, it is no longer original. If this trend is to continue, I am sorry, but I'll lose my interest in teefury. Yeah, I know my 10 bucks won't make you guys rich, but come on!
14Comments
    158 weeks ago
    First off, if Star Wars and Doctor Who shirts didn't sell then they wouldn't print so many designs.

Second off, there is a contingent of Teefurians who are here because of and mostly for Doctor Who wear. Believe it or not, merch is rare in America for a decidedly British TV show. Usually you end up going on-line and paying exorbitant shipping fees. Luckily TF has me and so many other Whovians covered in that regard.

Thirdly, if you don't like the shirt one day then wait for the next one. There's a reason it's called a "shirtaday" and not a "shirtamonth."

Fourth, what would you rather see instead? An answer of "anything" will get a reply of "bullsmurf."
    158 weeks ago
    While I do agree with the above... I also agree with OP. I would like to see more variety. Star Wars and Dr. Who are both awesome, and I have bought my share of those... but over and over again is a bit much. I know they've heard it before and they will probably not change anything about it because it DOES make them money (Just look at all of those pancakes), it would be cool to see other fandoms pop up more often as well as some more original concepts. But I guess you have to shell out the big bucks for those. Oh well. No biggie.
    158 weeks ago
    Hey folks, I agree that there seem to have been more of them lately BUT that said, it doesn't bother me. I love getting to see 30 new designs a month! So if a bunch of those are the same themes, then that is ok by me - it's popular culture. I would lose interest if Teefury just made 30 art prints a month as one of the reasons I was attracted to the site was because of the popular film/tv/game refs. There are so few places to buy ladies sci fi/movie tees, even here in the UK where Doc Who is made, so although I don't always like the tees (for example, I'm a massive Star Wars fan but don't like today's tee), I am thrilled that there is somewhere I can buy tees that reference my fandom :) That said, I also would like to see a wider variety - maybe more current games (I'd like to see a Fallout tee, a Borderlands tee and a Fable tee) and more books, and wider film/tv refs. I think there IS a good range on here and you can tell by the grab bag forum posts that someone's favourite is someone else's pet hate, so it does work well in that sense.
    158 weeks ago
    I hate to say it, but I am mostly here for the Dr Who, Torchwood, Ghostbusters, and any other sci fi shirts. If it sells, then why not. the most popular items that sell are the Star Wars, Dr Who, or video game shirts. If you run a business, you would want to sell your most popular items to make money. 3-4 of these shirts in every 30 days isn't too bad. If you don't like the shirt, don't worry. THere will be something different in 24 hours
    158 weeks ago
    I am here mainly for the Doctor Who and Star Wars shirts. It's hard to get good Doctor Who Tees in Australia without paying $30 to ship them from overseas.

But I do agree that sometimes TeeFury goes a bit overboard with the DW and SW. I think they should reduce the amount of doctor who and star wars shirts by a bit, as some of the designs aren't very good. I've been on TeeFury since the start of February, and even though I love DW, the only doctor who shirts I've bought out of the many that have been on here are The Whos and Gallifrey Road. This is mainly because some of the designs aren't up to scratch

But at least it means I don't have to spend all my money!
    158 weeks ago
    CaitlinNerd said: I am here mainly for the Doctor Who and Star Wars shirts. It's hard to get good Doctor Who Tees in Australia without paying $30 to ship them from overseas.

I've been on TeeFury since the start of February, and even though I love DW, the only doctor who shirts I've bought out of the many that have been on here are The Whos and Gallifrey Road. This is mainly because some of the designs aren't up to scratch

But at least it means I don't have to spend all my money!

Yea I live in the US and it's hard to find a Dr Who or Torchwood shirt under 15 bucks. Most of the time I could spend about 25-30 for a single shirt, but on here I can get a nice design and original for 12 bucks. And yes I have been here since Feb and I have only bought the Who's and Gallifrey road. If I was around here for The Doctor Has been here, I would of gotten that shirt too
    158 weeks ago
    There are t-shirt sites dedicate to artsy shirts and others dedicated to pop cultures ones. The problem with these kind of one tee a day sites is that there really isn't a clear line between the two,its a mix bag.

So when they showcase pop-culture shirts those who enjoy that sort of thing are satisfied but the ones hopping for artsy ones arnt. And vise versa on days they show artsy shirts.

I appreciate the people who come here for the pop culture stuff, but I am an artsy person.So I too long for original designs ;different strokes for different folks I guess .

When I looked back in the archives I have noticed that this sites roots seemed to be more dedicated to artsy stuff or at least back then they had a more even alteration of creative original idea shirts verses creative pop culture shirts .If you look over the years and into the current months this site stopped that even alteration and now almost seems to entirely given into the demand of pop culture references more often .

I am not saying that is necessarily a bad thing, its just I think this site should alternate days or weeks between pop culture and original art,that way both sides are happy.
    158 weeks ago
    My argument is simple... I think it could be very easily debated that the contingent of Firefly fans are just as numerous as Dr. Who, yet we never see any solid Firefly art. (aside from Serenity Sake)

I think that could be said for several other shows / fandomes as well. It just seems odd that the site caters A LOT more to the Dr. Who crowd than any other fans.
    158 weeks ago
    That being said, my favorite shirts come from this site. It just smurfs only finding one shirt every 2-3 weeks you like and seeing Dr. Who sooooo much.
    158 weeks ago
    Both sides of the argument have good points, but it can go a little overboard.

Seeing one Dr. Who/Star Wars a week would be totally fine, but it does tend to get a little overboard.
    158 weeks ago
    I know a lot of people have already commented, but I just feel the need to add my two cents - The Who and Star Wars stuff is okay (on rare occasions really good), but honestly I would like to see much more Torchwood, Firefly and Star Trek inspired tees. Or how about this for an idea; anyone remember Babylon 5? I am a fan of these other main-stream sci fi shows but rarely see tee shirts that have anything to do with them. And if we DO go with some of these other shows of fandom, how about we don't do anymore MashedPotatoes for a while? It can get really tiresome explaining to people what the shirt means over and over again. Just my thoughts on the selection process.
    158 weeks ago
    drwyrick said: My argument is simple... I think it could be very easily debated that the contingent of Firefly fans are just as numerous as Dr. Who, yet we never see any solid Firefly art. (aside from Serenity Sake)

I think that could be said for several other shows / fandomes as well. It just seems odd that the site caters A LOT more to the Dr. Who crowd than any other fans.

Judging by how fast I traded my Serenity Sake tee from the last grab bag, I think you may be on to something. I'd also love a nice looking HGTTG shirt because that Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster tee was ugly as hell.

I came here for the Who's and bought Gallifrey Road and Scooby Who thereafter(in fact, I also got a Scooby Who for a friend of mine I've nicknamed "Tin Dog" after K-9) and I traded to get Count the Shadows. I would have gotten the shirt yesterday but I was disappointed they didn't use the Captain Ribman version so I didn't. I think I'm ready for something a tad new although if TeeFury turned its back on Whovian designs altogether, I'd be rightfully angered.

And while I like the art shirts, I am the kind of guy that will wait for a grab bag and hope to get one as opposed to just buying one outright. I might just be part of the problem...
    158 weeks ago
    I love Dr. Who and own quite a few Who-themed shirts, but I wouldn't object to a little more variety. I don't think people would complain as loudly about it if they were spread out a little more, but 2+ designs in a single week is kinda pushing it. Yes, they're popular and yes, they'll sell, but they'll sell WHENEVER you put them up so I don't see the point of flooding them. Also, putting two Who (or SW or whatever) shirts in one week may mean someone on a budget can only buy ONE of them, but if you spread them out more they may be able to get BOTH.

I also agree with the above comments about how some fandoms could be just as popular if only we could see more designs for them. It's all well and good to say "Doctor Who shirts sell like hotcakes," but how do you know that Firefly and Fringe and things like that wouldn't be just as- or even MORE- popular? If you sell them, we will buy. ;)

Personally I still hold onto the hope that some day there will be a Doctor Horrible shirt on here. *wistful, dreamy sigh*
    158 weeks ago
    CaitlinNerd said:

I've been on TeeFury since the start of February, and even though I love DW, the only doctor who shirts I've bought out of the many that have been on here are The Whos and Gallifrey Road. This is mainly because some of the designs aren't up to scratch

I totally agree with this :) I love DW, SW and other big scifi franchises but won't buy all the designs as alot of them are missing that x factor, or just aren't quite good enough. And then sometimes one comes along (Like the Doctor Has Been Here) that is just awesome :) Actually I am getting a little fed up with constant double-franchise tees. Sometimes it can be good (like the aforementioned tee) but a lot of the time it just isn't. I think it has to be really well thought out and smart for it to work, rather than just shoving two franchises together because people might like the cross-franchising. That said, it does at least stop me from buying a tee nearly every day! (Which would send me bankrupt!!) :-D