Back to forum
rss 284 weeks ago
Hey guys, just started on this design. What do you guys think of it? Should I keep working on it (and if so, what do i need to add/change) or should i ssmurf it?

"Astronaut Shenanigans"

(those are halftones btw... not some weird pattern)

thanks
17Comments
    284 weeks ago
    I'd do more astronauts, drawing on more faces, in different colors, and spread them in the background like a mash-up of different characters.
    284 weeks ago
    great idea link2dpast! ill work with that. thanks! anyone else?
    284 weeks ago
    I didn't get that it was an astronaut until I read the title. I don't know what you can add but its not bad so far. Keep working.
    284 weeks ago
    I didn't know it was an astronaut either :) I personally would work more detail into what would be the shoulder area of the figure to make it a little clearer.
    284 weeks ago
    I could tell what it was supposed to be, but if others can't you have a problem. Instead of a simple halftone, just add some mildly detailed linework and it should become a lot clearer what it's supposed to be.
    284 weeks ago
    I like the concept but i think your going to need to redraw it differently to make it work
    284 weeks ago
    here is an update, thanks for all the suggestions! keep them coming!

3020275064_c21cd30bef_o.jpg

Thanks to LINK2DPAST, hkward001, sheyrakelley, and biotwist for the suggestions.
    284 weeks ago
    it weird to tearits head off. you need a more natural way to not have to draw the whole body. you could likely just draw the helmet, but the details you have on that helmet do not look like the usual apollo or shuttle helmet details. if it did you could likely just draw the helmet and a gloved hand.
    284 weeks ago
    thanks for the comment chopshop ... my girl friend actually said the same thing so im going to try a different way of presenting the body.

in the mean time, here are some different faces that you guys can choose from possibly:

1. 3020010765_fb8a6aae34.jpg

2. 3020010731_4e6ed16641.jpg

3. 3020010709_d300b4d39a.jpg

4. 3020010691_bd64d7d11a.jpg

5. 3020841742_f28a9ec486.jpg

more suggestions/criticism welcome! thanks!
    284 weeks ago
    I like # 1 the best. Great job!
    284 weeks ago
    All of them! Just put several of them in a group doing it, with different hands and details.
    284 weeks ago
    thanks for the comments guys! i still cant figure out how to better handle the problem with the shoulders chopshop was talking about earlier. anybody have any suggestions on that?

someone asked if i would make the blue darker so here is an update (just of #1)

3021593982_62a5a54282.jpg

thanks for the help!

also, anyone know if this would be "teefury" worthy?
    284 weeks ago
    Possibly you could try some sort of halftone gradient to fix your head problem.
    284 weeks ago
    This is looking a lot better. I like the first one with "Take me to your leader." I think it's the most clear punchline for the shirt.
    284 weeks ago
    thanks for the comments guys! yeah, brycedriesenga, ive been trying to work with halftone gradients but it seems to be coming out very choppy. ill keep working with it.

also ill post a placement as well as some closeups on the halftones.
    284 weeks ago
    I'm not crazy about the scissor cut edges. Maybe a halftone there would help? The darker blue marker is better too.
    284 weeks ago
    Def take me to your leader is the funniest one, but it kinda looks like someone ripped the head and shoulders off the astronaut and they are just floating out in space.. I'm expecting a torso to bob by any time now. Also cant tell who it is supposed to be drawing on his face. Is that his own hand? someone elses? maybe a halftone might work, possibly draw the body, foreshortened in the background with a forced perspective? Its a great concept, but needs some oomph to make it read well