Back to forum
rss 299 weeks ago
Check it out, this lady needs your help!

What we want from you is:
1. a tee shirt to auction off (please sign it)
2. your friends to also send us a tee
3. some NY folks to come to the event Nov. 19
4. Publicity
Sincerely,

Linda Stanley
Executive Director

Orphans International America
Cell: 708-609-7216 e-mail: [email protected]

540 Main Street, Suite #418, New York, N.Y. 10044
PH: 212/755-7285 F: 212/755-7302
EIN #43-1971411; NYS Charity #20-55-05
I.R.S. 501(c)(3) Not-for-Profit Corporation

Orphans International Worldwide
Associated with U.N. Dept. of Public Information
540 Main Street Suite #418 New York, N.Y. 10044
O: 212/755-7285 F: 212/755-7302
www.oiww.org; Wikipedia; LinkedIn; Facebook; Plaxo

38Comments
    299 weeks ago
    sweet man, ill start brainstorming... any guidelines for the tee itself?
    299 weeks ago
    Should we do another collab tee and donate on this?
    299 weeks ago
    YES! i mean, i don't have any say in this because i'm not an artist like yous guys so i couldn't contribute, but i think it's a novel idea. i'd totally buy whatever it turned out to be.
    299 weeks ago
    dude, that would be awesome
    299 weeks ago
    I spoke with Linda Stanley - and she said we have full reign - we would contribute the $1 per sale to her charity - then we would donate a print of the art to be auctioned off, along with some tees of the artwork. so now we just need a theme - this is to raise awareness for orphaned children around the world - think kids in Haiti who have lost parents to aids, hurricanes etc. super sad - ideas?
    299 weeks ago
    This is probably a horrible or maybe even inappropriate idea as I've never designed a t-shirt, or much of anything (I can draw, but not consistently), but what about a flat silhouette of a child (almost like a gingerbread man shape, for instance) filled in to match the flag of a country, and under that child you could have the known or approximated number of orphans for that country. So each artist would have one or more countries (there are a LOT of countries) and you could do all of the countries in the world. That at least should raise awareness if anything and you could do a lot of neat things with a child silhouette I think.
    299 weeks ago
    I like the idea of a collab :). But I'd go in a positive dirrection, it have to be a message of hope! And what about doing something about school, education etc...? I dunno, maybe another 1color theme like "made of paper" ? like paper plane, origami, fun stuff etc..
    299 weeks ago
    layne, that is great man! beautiful!

The first thing that popped into my head while talking to her about a design, was a child letting a butterfly out of a jar.
    Not sure what to do with that, but it is an idea.

You guys are awesome for getting on board with this! thanks alot!!
    299 weeks ago
    im not good on positives ;)
    but you guys need to think about the positive potential this charity money gives to the kids.
    in other words... this gift means WHAT to kids in defferent places.
    if every artist contributing gave something that could be made into a small and still understandable picture of their interpretation of what this gift could mean i think you have something of merit there.
    what hope do you hope to be giving here? show us
    299 weeks ago
    and layne? i really need an edit for this forum man. these typos make me look bad ;)
    299 weeks ago
    I suggest a BRC-esque "mash-up" type of design, where we get a pretty broad theme, choose a really nice 2 or 3 color palette, and we do what we just did only on a more massive scale!

Themes I would suggest are "Children's Dreams" or "Valuable Children's Belongings" or something, or if we wanted to go with something darker maybe "My old family" or something. A tad abstracted, you know?

Just my two cents, feel free to disagree.
    299 weeks ago
    Also, incorporating a teefury bolt into your piece would be encouraged, to kinda help the design become one in the end. That would help.
    299 weeks ago
    great ideas everyone - keep em coming! the childrens dreams could be really cool, so could the belongings, I can see cool little toys and items kids love - Tom - your idea is sick to because EVERYONE could do a butterly (Tom can do the kid and the jar) - and the whole shirt has butterflys - lets here some more!
    298 weeks ago
    It seems pretty settled we're doing a mash-up/collab, so I'm assuming you mean subject matter...

The butterflies would be a good symbolic piece.

Off the top of my head:

fireflies (GID ink??)
    diamonds in the sky
    cats (toooooooons of people will be willing to do several cats)
    clouds with words
    optical illusions
    the weird dollar pyramid with that eye
    people singing (notes running between them and junk)
    people with ice cream
    superheroes
    teefury lightningbolts

we can all be assigned a certain part of the evolutionary chart, draw that one doing something, then line them all up and around and stuff in the right order (about 5 or 6 people per stage?)

Maybe I'm getting too far ahead of myself...

>_>

298 weeks ago
    I am can almost picture in my mind a child with all kinds of ideas/dreams/aspirations/butterflies flying out of his/her head. I can't wait to see where this ends up going. Man, I love the Fury!
    298 weeks ago
    layne, i'd be happy to do the kid and the jar if that is the way you all want to go.

i like adding dreams/things/toys/ideas to the idea too. like there could be a sort of thought bubble/dream bubble kind of framing all the stuff in?

awesome, i will do a rough sketch and post it.
    298 weeks ago
    Yo!
    I went ahead and just did a design up for the kid and his jar!

Basically I did it in one color to keep the start of this simple, and the dotted line in the background would sort of be a rough indication of where all the butterflies/dreams/toys/ideas/etc would all be floating around!
    Does that make sense?
    What do you think layne? community peeps?

I can send over the original .ai file whenever or if you need it.
    WORD!
    2989374078_739288634a_o.jpg
    298 weeks ago
    I have a butterfly i'd sub for this.
    298 weeks ago
    I really like the idea of a jar and butterfly theme... Maybe instead of just sticking to butterflies it could be anything with wings... Use your imagination, like a kid does... so you could use butterflies, birds, teddy bears, angels, dogs, cats... but all with wings. *shrug*
    298 weeks ago
    yeah, i think it should be anything! butterflies/dreams/toys/ideas/et, you name it! anything hopeful, positive, and kid-oriented! :)
    298 weeks ago
    maybe someone with awesome line work skills could do the cool border that would eventually contain all the elements. (im looking at you, jimiyo!) haha! :)
    298 weeks ago
    I really like the idea of us each designing a butterfly or some sort of dream item that is being let out into the 'universe'.

I've worked in a few orphanages around the world, the last one being in Mali. I know we're running low on time, and it might not be feasible for this one, but now I'm thinking about the possibility of me getting some of the kids back there to draw something up separately as well, as some of the young artists I worked with were truly gifted. OK, my wheels are turning...

Anyway, keep us posted!

The vibe here is a really great thing.
    298 weeks ago
    Butterflies may be a bit too specific, but if that's what everyone wants, I suppose it will work.
    298 weeks ago
    yo layne, let me know if this collab is gonna happen for sure or not, because their event is coming up real soon, and if it isn't gonna happen here, i need to do a design for it to be able to send to them in time.
    thanks!!
    298 weeks ago
    bump
  • Load More Comments