Back to forum
rss 165 weeks ago
I was actually surprised beyond belief, so many people complaining about the pop culture tees yet "Rolling Deep" didn't get any pancakes! I guess Jonah Block won't be "rolling" in dough!

*audience laughter*

Just kidding Jonah, I might buy one, maybe even two. I'm honestly looking into getting some other stuff, but the fact that it's more "limited" due to the relative low interest does appeal to the collector in me. I honestly feel bad because it really is a cool shirt and I thought it would be a hit. For all of the whiners, try putting your money where your mouth is next time. In the mean time I'll be rocking Peach Nouveau... 8]-~
8Comments
    165 weeks ago
    I went ahead and bought two. Personally, I dig the composition, it's definitely different from what I'm used to seeing. Hopefully Jonah and some other talented artists read my post and take a hint that there is an audience for both pop culture tees AND art tees.

Now if only someone would get cracking on a Yu Yu Hakusho shirt... Maybe something awesome for fans but ambiguous enough to be mistaken for an art tee by everyone else? Don't fail me TeeFury!
    165 weeks ago
    I'll admit, I am an avid art fan! I absolutely love art shirts and am always excited to see them get printed. Sometimes they are so bizarre I can't help but be amazed. That said, I do enjoy many of the pop culture designs (Most of them actually!). They are absolutely a relevant part of our culture as well as our history and will always have a loving audience.

With art we can relate to the emotion it brings about within us, the beauty that makes it appealing, or even the issues it seems to address. With pop we can laugh and reminisce and feel connected to others through our common interests from past and present. I love both and buy both, but Teebird is the one that got me hooked to Teefury way-back-when, so art shirts will always have that extra special place in my heart (whether I can afford them at the time or not!). :)
    165 weeks ago
    I bought it, even though I'm not quite a fan of art tees. I've been waiting for a teefury to pump out a shirt of that awesome turquoise color. The previous ones (that I remember) were line drawings of skulls, and they didn't interest me at all, but each time I looked at that shirt color and I WANTED IT. Lol. The quality of the design was great, and it was something I could definitely see myself wearing. But I could see how it wouldn't be for everyone.

I think the great thing about teefury is that it produces some things everyone can see themselves wearing. You might not like today's shirt, but that's okay because in a week you'll probably see a shirt that you absolutely can't live without. The variety is good because (for me anyways) it helps save money because you might not like a few of the shirts, but in the end you'll end up with more than enough awesome shirts. I mean come on - What if every single day the shirt was so awesome that you had to buy it? I know that I'd run out of money pretty smuuuuuurf fast.
    165 weeks ago
    It's nice to see this thread inspiring some insightful thoughts on the matter!

noiselessness, I share your sentiments for both pop culture tees and art tees. I personally love the fact that some of the shirts I've worn, shirts of both "genres" I guess you could say, have attracted friends I may have never even gotten to know intimately otherwise.

I agree with Mrichhh, TeeFury does a good job in general of selling wearable designs. For example, I'm not a fan of Doctor Who, a property that seems to have a huge presence on the site, and I'm even less a fan of Lord of the Rings, today's subject matter.

But going by Mrichhh's logic I guess I should be thankful that I never got into either! There's a big enough strain on my PayPal as it is... Luckily, there are plenty of others that enjoy one or both enough to make up for my lack of interest.
    165 weeks ago
    Don't look at me, I bought the shirt. I'll admit I whine constantly about mash-ups. After a few weeks of seeing shirts that I automatically do not want, it gets frustrating. And the fact that 90% of the designs are mash-ups of the same five things really doesn't help. But I do try to put my money where my mouth is. The thing that gets me about teefury though, is the fact that it stayed in business just fine during the early days when the shirts where mostly artsy. Now it seems like they're afraid that if they don't print a Star Wars-Ghostbusters-Mario mash-up every five seconds then the site will instantly go broke and universe will to explode. It's a love/hate kinda thang with me and teefury, but at the end of the day I still check for something good.
    165 weeks ago
    Since this site has conditioned it's customers to want a reference in every shirt, shirts like Rolling Deep won't get pancakes because that isn't where the money's at anymore.

I love TeeFury but they've done some irreparable branding changes. It's no longer an art-oriented site. Don't get me wrong, I buy every Lost shirt.
    165 weeks ago
    thanks guys, but yeah this was my lowest selling shirt on teefury. I'm surprised it was even picked over my other stuff but why should I complain about being given a chance to shine?
    I happen to like a well designed pop shirt and for everyone person that complains about it, 100 people buy a shirt and I get to make art I like and pay rent. thanks for all the support you guys
    165 weeks ago
    people will complain no matter what

but you can't blame artists for catering to what's CLEARLY selling (eg. today's tee)

I'm pretty sure MJ and Jimiyo have about 568,748 Dr Who submissions to sift through