Back to forum
rss 168 weeks ago
To catch you up: earlier today, a presumed-mod or admin, Cryptorchild99, was quick to point out to some poster that mentioning another site (presumably a competing clothing site, though that wasn't clearly indicated) was "clearly" prohibited in the site rules. Along with the modification, he posted an "Ohai Teevil" graphic, linking to TeeFury's site policy page... a page which, by the way, SAYS NOTHING WHATSOEVER in the official listed policies about mentioning other websites. Incidentally, the only mention of other sites comes much further down in a comment thread of the policy page, with various and conflicting viewpoints...

Here's the thing: TeeFury and the people representing TeeFury have every right to make up your own rules- no doubt about it, and no argument, either. But just as a helpful hint from a now-jaded customer, you may wish to familiarize YOURSELVES and those representing you about which policies are "clearly demonstrated" before throwing your weight around.

I wasn't even the person you were chiding with your post, but I found it insulting enough to post a new topic (my first!) about in the forum.. how do you imagine the person you were actually scolding feels about it?

This would be just a simple case of someone trying to be helpful in a way that perhaps was a bit too zealous, were it not for the MEANING of the "Ohai Teevil", which, according to the linked site (first and second comment by staff member), indicates that those people seeing the graphic are "on notice" that they could be put on probation. It's your shop, but it's also absurd to treat your customers with such disrespect for violating a policy that lacks any kind of clarity. EDIT- I am not entirely sure that the poster known as Cryptorchild99 is actually a staff member, but given the authority he/she posted with, as well as no official comment to the contrary, I have to assume that is the case.

Anyway, maybe you'll want to re-read the page you linked to and make some changes there...

8Comments
    168 weeks ago
    I believe that when a post is moderated it doesn't show you who moderated it. Cryptorchild99 is most likely a normal poster who has had their original text removed and replaced with the text you mentioned.
    168 weeks ago
    Matt_Dearden said: I believe that when a post is moderated it doesn't show you who moderated it. Cryptorchild99 is most likely a normal poster who has had their original text removed and replaced with the text you mentioned.

Thank you for the explanation :) If that is the case, I owe Cryptorchild99 an apology, and it begs the question of who DID modify his post, and for what reason or justification?

Staff, if you're listening, I'd appreciate a response.
    168 weeks ago
    dporter6- there are a lot of rules on that page, the ones at the top are just the most common ones.

At any rate, those moderated posts were falling afoul of the constructive criticism rule AND the promotion rule. Saying that people shouldn't buy this shirt because ____ has a better one is not even remotely acceptable behavior, and is a serious disservice to our artists. I would be very surprised if ANY site allowed that sort of behavior.

You do have a good point that the rules post is becoming too long to be as useful as it could be, though. We may have to revise that for clarity and conciseness in the future :)
    168 weeks ago
    MJ,

First, thank you for the response.

I do believe that it would be wise to structure your site policies in a clearly discernible format- this way, what is or isn't considered acceptable is easily understood by all.

If I could make another suggestion, it would be that when a moderator edits a post, it would be helpful if that moderator left a signature in the modified post, so that the person being edited or warned can have a dialogue with the moderator if any part of their actions were unclear. By that I mean, if one of my posts were edited and a warning was left in place, I may not understand exactly what I did to deserve the warning, and may wish to seek come clarification from the person that found fault with it. Anyway, I do thank you again for the response and openness to suggestion.
    168 weeks ago
    Oh, and by leaving a signature, OTHER moderators would know a bit more about who edited what, and could more easily communicate with each other about the reasons for the action taken, as well as "problem users" or trolls to be on the look out for.
    168 weeks ago
    dporter6 said: Oh, and by leaving a signature, OTHER moderators would know a bit more about who edited what, and could more easily communicate with each other about the reasons for the action taken, as well as "problem users" or trolls to be on the look out for.
    dporter6 said: MJ,

First, thank you for the response.

I do believe that it would be wise to structure your site policies in a clearly discernible format- this way, what is or isn't considered acceptable is easily understood by all.

If I could make another suggestion, it would be that when a moderator edits a post, it would be helpful if that moderator left a signature in the modified post, so that the person being edited or warned can have a dialogue with the moderator if any part of their actions were unclear. By that I mean, if one of my posts were edited and a warning was left in place, I may not understand exactly what I did to deserve the warning, and may wish to seek come clarification from the person that found fault with it. Anyway, I do thank you again for the response and openness to suggestion.

I think MJ would appreciate it more and.. have more chance to read this comment if u post it in Policy thread he made.
    168 weeks ago
    or suggestion thread. as he have specified on policy thread.
    167 weeks ago
    dporter6 said: do believe that it would be wise to structure your site policies in a clearly discernible format- this way, what is or isn't considered acceptable is easily understood by all.

We updated the rules to be more easy to read, and you can check out the result here: TeeFury Posting Guidelines

One of our goals is to keep all discussion of the rules in that thread. This is beneficial for a couple of reasons- it keeps everything public, and it leaves a record for other people who might have the same questions or concerns later on. So we're asking that if any users don't understand the moderation, they ask there and we'll do our best to clarify. Hopefully that helps! :)