Back to forum
rss 190 weeks ago
So I'm a beginner and I would really appreciate some tips from some of the experienced designers here. I have a handful of ideas drawn out in crude sketches. Now I don't have Photoshop installed just yet, but I will soon hopefully. So what's the best way to go about designing a shirt? Should I draw it first then scan it into Photoshop or just do all of it on Photoshop? Also could someone direct me to some good Photoshop tutorials that would help me start off designing? Also if you have any other general designing tips I would love to hear them. Thanks Guys! I look forward to submitting and contributing!
5Comments
    190 weeks ago
    I basically self taught myself how to use photoshop and make designs, what I can offer is that create an image that speaks for itself, it should be simple and straight forward if its a pop culture reference, or a well intricate artistic based design. be open to criticism and give it your best!
    189 weeks ago
    It's generally easier to work out your layout with pencil and eraser and use a scanned copy as a guide for the digital version. A vector program, such as Illustrator or Inkscape, is probably better than a raster program, such as Photoshop or Gimp. If you do use Photoshop, use a large canvas and many layers.
    189 weeks ago
    I usually sketch until I have a rough idea what I'm going to do, and then create the actual art in Illustrator, relying mainly on the "blob brush" w/ a wacom tablet and the pen tool. I might scan a sketch in and draw over it on a separate layer, or I might use google image search to find reference photos and trace over parts of them if I'm going for exact details.

One pro-tip that helps both you and whoever prints your art a lot is to make sure you draw each color on a separate layer and clearly label each layer.
    189 weeks ago
    What's the difference between Photoshop and Illustrator?
    189 weeks ago
    >TheDoctor1: Photoshop is a raster based image editor, meaning images are based on pixel size and they cannot be easily scaled up or down, and is generally used for website design, layouts, image editing, and just about anything that will actually be viewed on a computer screen. Illustration is a vector based image editor, meaning that the images can be scaled up or down almost infinitely without any loss quality, and is generally used for things such as fliers or print work creation.