Back to forum
rss 190 weeks ago

I don't expect many people to recognise the name 'Twilfitt and Tatting.' Reference is made to it in the sixth Harry Potter book; it's an upmarket clothes shop visited by Draco Malfoy. I imagine they cater for somewhat darker wizards and would frown upon those that aren't 'pure blood.'

This is my first attempt at creating a design so I thought I'd keep things simple. This is still a work in progress whilst I get to grips with my software but I'm happy with it so far. Any feedback, positive or negative, is welcomed. Thanks for looking.
12Comments
    189 weeks ago
    not bad, can't say a sure buy for me but i know potter fans a plenty, might be a lil too obscure, i would love to see your take on other diagon alley shops, like the wand shop which might be a bit more obvious. plus i know that too much tet is not a good think, most people choose design over text, so try and combine with some tasteful and topical art post PHEW!>
    169 weeks ago
    I'm a Potter fan but I didn't recognise the reference. Also, I'm not really into the way this design is structured. It's just basically three lines of text structured in a simple top-to-bottom style. Potter shirts are popular on here so I would recommend sticking with the Potter references and playing around with the structure of the design.
    169 weeks ago
    I think you may have too much of a "wall o' text" on this shirt. Playing with size and stuff may help it feel more like a "branded" t-shirt and less like a bunch of text on a t-shirt. I agree with the first poster, though -- a less obscure store or "brand" within the HP universe might make the shirt much more accessible to the average HP fan, having the "a-ha, that's from HP!" feeling. Keep at it! :)
    169 weeks ago
    I think this is a really good idea, but it seems to be missing something. I can say just what it's missing, and I would be afraid to add anything to it because I think one of the best things it has going for it is its subtlety. You wouldn't want to add, for example, a wand or a snake, that would make it a little kitschy.

Cool idea though, I hope you develop it a little more. Even if you don't I might still buy it.
    169 weeks ago
    too many different fonts in design. At first glance I thought it was 3 different logos/designs you were working on not that its a singular design. Limit the font styles to 2 maybe 3 anything more than that becomes tack and amateurish. And either lose some of the text or create a more cohesive design that brings all the text and elements together to form a singular design. You should look at some logo design books, typography books just books that focus design with text to get some inspiration. I'm sure with a good design concept this would look good. As it is it look like 3 different unrelated logos that don't work together.
    169 weeks ago
    Ah! I got this reference instantly, very cool!

Is Diagon Alley just a bolded font of Pure Blood? It rather looks like it, and if so, perhaps de-bolding it will help it look slightly smoother. But I think it definitely needs other non-textual design elements in it to help bring it together and make it more appealing.

Definitely looking forward to see where you take this though!
    169 weeks ago
    I see a frog :(
    169 weeks ago
    Are you sure this shop isn't on Knockturn Alley? If they cater to pure bloods, you'd think they would be.
    169 weeks ago
    I like this because it is for the AVID harry potter fan. The reference is sublte.

For those who read the sixth book and are looking for a memory refresher, This name comes about when Draco and his mother, Narcissa, are in Madam Malkins' robe shop and Draco is getting fitted for new robes. Hermione, Harry, and Ron come in and Narcissa and Draco decide to take their business to Twilfit and Tattings for two reasons: First, Madam Malkin tries to roll up Draco's left sleeve and that's where his dark mark is; he doesnt want her to see it. Second, Narcissa and Draco don't want to do business with a store that caters to "mudbloods" (i.e. Hermione Granger).

However, there is no mention (to my memory) of whether the shop is said to be in diagon alley or elsewhere.

All the best.
    169 weeks ago
    Yes, I remember. I figure it is a safe assumption that it is on knockturn alley, though.

Plus, I think Knockturn Alley is less obvious than Diagon Alley, and therefore makes the reference even more subtle.
    168 weeks ago
    Hmmm...I like the idea of it, but I think I'd rather a different shop. Problem with a pureblood store is that Harry Potter fans are fanatic and you will only be catering to one ouse. As a Gryffindor, I wouldn't wear it. But I'd wear another shop. Ollivander's maybe. Everyone gets their wand there so you are catering to all four houses.
    168 weeks ago
    Great font, btw. Looks like the Twinings font.