Back to forum
rss 180 weeks ago
Beloved Teefurians,

Many of you are probably wondering what happened with today's shirt. There's been speculation that the TeeFury offices were taken over by alien life forms that hacked into the site and removed today's design, but alas, no.

Here's the real explanation:

It was brought to our attention that this design is still contractually owned by our friends over at Shirt.Woot. The fact that it was submitted here in spite of the contract with Shirt.Woot was due to a misunderstanding on the artist's part.

TeeFury does it's best to ensure that every design offered for sale on our site is rightfully owned by the person submitting it and that it is free and clear of any third party ownership or rights. Unfortunately, misunderstandings do happen.

In light of this discovery, we've decided it best to remove the design and cancel all orders that were placed for it.

Yes, the contract is between the artist and Shirt.Woot, but as a friend in the online t-shirt world, we completely respect Shirt.Woot's position and know that they would do the same if the tables were turned.

So.....here's a huge apology to all of you who bought this shirt. Thanks for understanding. :)

Don't worry, another great design will grab you by your collar soon!

Love,

Teefury Staff
57Comments
    180 weeks ago
    Understanding, yes. Bummed out, though? Yes. Blaghhh contracts no fun.

I know I asked this already, but when will refunds be issued? Also, another suggestion that would be great is if you didn't wanna do refunds, that instead you could just refund us the shipping and handling costs, and whoever purchased the shirt could get a discount coupon code that would be worth 1 future free shirt on TeeFury? I dunno, just a suggestion. I still love TeeFury, just not this situation.
    180 weeks ago
    Understanding: No.

And no, I will not take a "Coupon for another shirt" you know. Just in case I see one I like. I'm sorry but money is tight, and I'm pretty sure whatever legal contracts are going on with the shirt companies are not as serious as the legal implications of taking people's money and not giving it right back if services aren't rendered as promised.

And yes. I do still love teefury, but this is bad guys. Very VERY bad.
    180 weeks ago
    Refunds usually take 3-5 days to come through. It's the best course for this situation.

Maybe we can ask Missmonster to do a NEW KRAMPUS!?

180 weeks ago
    jimiyo said: Refunds usually take 3-5 days to come through. It's the best course for this situation.

Yea, I guess it's the easiest course to take too

hahah yes! New and improved and awesom-er Krampus!

>:{D
    180 weeks ago
    As long as it's done on the SAME color shirt, the SAME exact art style, the SAME exact character design, and still has german at the bottom, my life's joy will be renewed and I will buy it :)

180 weeks ago
    jimiyo said: Refunds usually take 3-5 days to come through. It's the best course for this situation.

How about never deal with her again, she got you guys in some bad doody today. Made this site look shady. She should have known.
    180 weeks ago
    Ben Yes Schwartz said:
    How about never deal with her again, she got you guys in some bad doody today. Made this site look shady. She should have known.

You are entitled to your opinion, yet, everyone makes mistakes, and she is sincerely apologetic. Punishment is reserved for those who purposely cause harm.

We will take this situation and turn it into an opportunity.
    180 weeks ago
    smurf.... smurf. While I'm not mad at TeeFury or MissMonster, I have to admit that I'm disappointed beyond words, as I was looking forward to this shirt more than any shirt I've ordered in the past. Not sure when I'll be able to bring myself to place another order. I hope someone figures out a way to have MM create another Krampus shirt, and if so, please keep the German. Now I'm off to go drink some Pussers and try to feel a little better. :'(
    180 weeks ago
    Seriously? Why is everyone being so over dramatic? I understand it's a great shirt and I want it too but how does Missmonster make this site look shady? It could've easily been a misunderstanding. Its seems like an honest mistake.

I bet we will see this shirt again. Or at least something close.
    180 weeks ago

Now that's a great idea! I confess, I almost cried when I saw what happened today.....I really, really wanted that shirt. But....my nephew just married a lovely girl from Germany and maybe she can get me one on her next trip home. I know, stuff happens and I still love you TeeFury......can I get a hug? :o)
    180 weeks ago
    I vote that if something like this happens again (aka where a shirt can no longer be sold), Teefury prints and sells a shirt with Teevil or T-Bird on it (or better yet, let the buyer choose between Teevil or T-Bird). I would love to own a shirt like that. =D
    180 weeks ago
    I agree with the idea of a New Krampus shirt! I want one sooo bad I bought this shirt within seconds of it posting last night! I'd like to see something done along those lines, hopefully in time to have for the christmas season!
    180 weeks ago
    Yes... Let's get missmonster to make a new krampus, exactly the same style, just like, posed differently or something.
    180 weeks ago
    This is only kinda related and I apologize, but I didn't want to create a whole new thread for something kinda related.

I stumbled upon some issues at woot with a design that turned out to break copyright, and it had been in the side art here at TF on October 12th (the day the drama at Woot was occurring) and several people apparently tried to point it out in the comments here (that the side art was violating copyright). Unfortunately, all that happened was that the comments were scrubbed out of existence (not even acknowledged). The resulting impression of TF in that particular forum ended up being negative - the TF didn't care about the copyright violating images.

As I wholeheartedly believe that TF is something very, very different than that, I wanted to bring it to the attention of the staff here. I know that referencing a competitor in the comments is understandably not allowed, I think that in the future a better response would be to acknowledge them in some fashion - since these are people who are attempting to be helpful in some way. By appearing to ignore these attempts, people just think TF doesn't have integrity (I think this thread proves it does) and turns people off from TF (something I know I don't want).

Thanks.
    180 weeks ago
    Karyn2002 said: I think that in the future a better response would be to acknowledge them in some fashion

This site is never going to be the appropriate place to discuss issues people have with other sites, and this is especially the case when those other sites are our direct competition. If you have a problem there, it should be discussed there. (There was a post on the front page stating this policy as well.)

TeeFury's primary mission is to support artists. For that reason, we cannot allow attacks on our artists' character (particularly when they are not yet proven- as the Woot design was a collab, it was unclear who in the partnership had been aware of the source material).

We do not insist that side art be copyright free, by the way. We've had previous artists include fan art, designs that have sold to other sites, and even things in different mediums like sculpture. No purpose is served by attacking that work as being inappropriate to print.
    180 weeks ago
    Must be an omen, after buying 100 shirts from shirt.woot/teefury combined, I stopped buying for a year because I wanted to only buy shirts that really, really stood out, as I have plenty of shirts now. So after waiting an entire, very long year, I finally find one that I instantly knew I wanted and thought was extremely awesome for a variety of different reasons. Then my money is taken, and 15 hours later the shirt is gone and cancelled.

How is it that the one shirt out of 365 I buy has to get cancelled? You know how ridiculous that is? I just beat some serious odds for that to occur.

You knew you were printing this shirt, people said they saw it in the email a month ago, so how is it that you take orders for it for 15 straight hours before deciding to pull it? You knew for so long you were printing this I don't understand how it is possible that it took you over 15 hours into the sale of the shirt to figure this out and make that decision. Seems awfully fishy to me!
    180 weeks ago
    thejakeyl88 said: Must be an omen, after buying 100 shirts from shirt.woot/teefury combined, I stopped buying for a year because I wanted to only buy shirts that really, really stood out, as I have plenty of shirts now. So after waiting an entire, very long year, I finally find one that I instantly knew I wanted and thought was extremely awesome for a variety of different reasons. Then my money is taken, and 15 hours later the shirt is gone and cancelled.

How is it that the one shirt out of 365 I buy has to get cancelled? You know how ridiculous that is? I just beat some serious odds for that to occur.

You knew you were printing this shirt, people said they saw it in the email a month ago, so how is it that you take orders for it for 15 straight hours before deciding to pull it? You knew for so long you were printing this I don't understand how it is possible that it took you over 15 hours into the sale of the shirt to figure this out and make that decision. Seems awfully fishy to me!

fishy? just seems like misunderstanding the contracts, honest mistake.
    180 weeks ago
    Wow people take it easy.....its just a t-shirt.

Things like this happens constantly in business, contracts can get misread, facts can be misconstrued. There is very little reason for people to get up in arms about it.

Relax guys, lets enjoy the shirts and let the companies and artists worry about any legal issues.
    180 weeks ago
    i totally understand the situation and i am sure teefury did everything they could to act in the correct way,i am also so very sorry for missmonster for having her tee removed i bet she is totally gutted, she is a very respected artist here and we all love her stuff,i hope we see a new version of this very soon, and i hope teefury dont get to much of a headache from all the refunds questions etc,
    180 weeks ago
    This is why I love TeeFury, you guys ROCK! Keep on coming with those amazing designs (to the artits) and keep on doing what you already have been doing (to the awesome peeps at TeeFury). Got nothing but love for you guys.
    Peace!
    180 weeks ago
    Shmarrr said: Seriously? Why is everyone being so over dramatic? I understand it's a great shirt and I want it too but how does Missmonster make this site look shady? It could've easily been a misunderstanding. Its seems like an honest mistake.

I bet we will see this shirt again. Or at least something close.

No doubt. There are far more things in the world to be upset about. People are causing themselves undue stress in times when more things deserve more attention with such enthusiasm.

Things happen. Shrug your shoulders and move on. Nobody kicked your dog..... :o)
    180 weeks ago
    I agree...these things happen and neither TeeFury nor MissMonster should take heat for it. TeeFury is amazing and always looking out for its customers! I mean...$9 shirts and $5 grab bags...how can you think they're trying to swindle you because of one little misunderstanding? They love us! :P

Honestly, I'm surprised things like this don't happen more often what with the anonymity of online art submissions and art theft everywhere.
    180 weeks ago
    I don't think they're trying to swindle us... I just think it utterly smurfs. It's rare that I see a shirt on here that I actually want, that isn't like super cartoony pop-out colorful or just kinda... not at all something i'd want to be seen in in public.

And I also just couldn't see why it was an issue seeing that it's appearently being sold at other locations currently, but not by the people who there was a contract infraction with. I'm just kind of curious if the reason it became an issue and we had to take it down was because: (and I'm going to quote this so I don't run any risk of saying anything to get me banned) this is especially the case when those other sites are our direct competition.
    180 weeks ago
    Aaron.Sullivan said: And I also just couldn't see why it was an issue seeing that it's appearently being sold at other locations currently, but not by the people who there was a contract infraction with.

I believe the design was eventually removed for sale from all sites besides the contract holders. We were just a bit quicker ;)
    180 weeks ago
    MJ- or another staffer :)

i'd love, instead of a refund, today's shirt (Don't be in a hurry). is that at all possible, instead of going through the whole refund/re-purchase issue ('specially as it is done through Paypal)? please let me know yes or no, and if yes, what i need to do :D

ang
  • Load More Comments