Back to forum
rss 184 weeks ago
In the most recent grab bag, one of my shirts was Call Forth the Strange and Embrace, which has an amazing design, but the shirt is white (which is the reason I didn't buy it even though it is gorgeous).

Call Forth the Strange and Embrace

I decided to dye it to match one of my favorite pairs of PJ pants, so I went and picked up some dye. After filling the sink with hot water, I spent the next 40 minutes constantly stirring and sinking the shirt into the dye.

Hot dye

The finished shirt is just gorgeous! I can now enjoy this grab bag shirt completely!

(Dyed) Call Forth the Strange and Embrace

And if anyone is curious, I used violet RIT dye. The picture below is the closest to the color of the shirt, and it's almost exactly the same color on the bottle.

The shirt and the dye

In the future I won't hesitate buying awesome white shirts, because now I know how easy they are to dye.
134Comments
    184 weeks ago
    That's pretty cool. Did the dye affect the ink at all?
    184 weeks ago
    Nope. It looks slightly different, but it was a dark gray so it looked black on he white shirt, and now looks more gray.

The most amusing thing is that the thread did change at all, so all of the seams are super white.
    184 weeks ago
    This is awesome! Good work :)
    184 weeks ago
    Silly me....I never thought of that! I hate white shirts, but sometimes the design is too cool to pass up. I'm going to try that with my Chouette Fresaie one.
    184 weeks ago
    Oooh, what color were you thinking of dying it? I can imagine almost any color would look good with that design.
    184 weeks ago
    Whoa, this is rad!
    184 weeks ago
    This is awesome! Thanks for the idea. I'm not a fan of white shirts either, but this is a good solution.
    184 weeks ago
    That's awesome! I'm going to have to do that now with my evil white shirts.
    184 weeks ago
    This is really cool. Thanks for sharing with everyone!
    184 weeks ago
    shaebay said: Oooh, what color were you thinking of dying it? I can imagine almost any color would look good with that design.

I haven't decided....suggestions?
    184 weeks ago
    for this reason- i think white t's can be the awesomest! i double-dipped my Evil Monkey's T ( elephant grey & a deep teal) and now it's one of my best and most complimented shirts, both for the kick-ass image & the colours :)

184 weeks ago
    Ohcomeonnow said:

I haven't decided....suggestions?

I think brown, blue or green would look fantastic, but you could easily take it to the hilariously absurd with orange, purple, or yelow.
    184 weeks ago
    I haven't purchased a white shirt for that very reason...it's white!? But this changes everything! Brilliant! Crafty!
    184 weeks ago
    I'm leaning towards a green. I can't wait to go shopping tomorrow and will post pics when I'm done.
    184 weeks ago
    Ohcomeonnow said: I'm leaning towards a green. I can't wait to go shopping tomorrow and will post pics when I'm done.

Update: My husband just got a shirt in an unusual burnt orange color and I think I want to try to match that.
    184 weeks ago
    Wow that came out excellent! Great job!
    184 weeks ago
    by monday i won't have any white shirts left in my closet.
    184 weeks ago
    it appears that you, like myself, have a stainless steel sink (though i find the "stainless" part to be a misnomer sometimes...)
    did the dye stain it at all?
    184 weeks ago
    Brilliant. While I don't mind white shirts I may try this just the same. Cheers you!
    184 weeks ago
    Awesome job!
    Love that violet =)
    Wondering if I should try that with my Happy/Grim - hmm...
    184 weeks ago
    Nice dye job
    183 weeks ago
    I should do this with my Van Gogh punk t-shirt.
    183 weeks ago
    godzilla said: it appears that you, like myself, have a stainless steel sink (though i find the "stainless" part to be a misnomer sometimes...)

did the dye stain it at all?

Nope, not at all. There was a rim around the water level, but after I just followed the directions and cleaned up with bleach it was back to normal.
    183 weeks ago
    Nice idea! It looks great.
    183 weeks ago
    Awesome results, Shaebay!

If you want to try it again, I really suggest giving fiber reactive procion dyes a try. There are a number of brands available - google it. These dyes are made for natural fibers, like 100% cotton, and dye more easily, more quickly, more vividly, and last longer than RIT. RIT is an all purpose dye - good in a pinch, but pales next to fiber reactive dyes.

Try it out! Beware that these dyes wont take to polyester or nylon - so you may wind up with lighter stitching if the thread is synthetic.

... And I learned the hard way - you can't dye anything black with RIT. It'll turn out as some version of grey.
  • Load More Comments