Back to forum
rss 201 weeks ago
So, I got this idea like in July and it's taken a bit to come to fruition but the awesome folks at Tee Fury have donated a bunch of shirts to me for making a tee shirt quilt.

My idea is in the lay-out stage (meaning I have washed all the tees (no shrinking/twisting will happen once you wash it) and have the designs all laid out on the pattern I want them to be in) but my main problem is rather a simple one:

What colour for the backing?

I cannot do pink because it's too girly and too light.

Black may not work either.

White? Forget it.

Navy blue?

Green?

Red?

See, once the whole thing is done, I plan on auctioning it off on eBay (I have an account with an excellent rating and high number) and donating the proceeds to the British Columbia Cancer Agency since they helped me beat colon cancer a year ago. Tee Fury is totally down with this but left it all up to me.

I want to get this done way sooner than later and am hoping it's a good idea... but not sure if I'm just a complete dork or would it really sell?

So I turn to you all to get your input.

I can submit a picture of the layout. I think the colour combo and the size is pretty good. I'll submit the size in a day or so but if you all think this is just a pipe dream or a waste of my time, I'll not blather on about it here any more.

I plan on posting the finished product with a link on my Facebook page as well as on here. I am looking to be done by Halloween so it can be auctioned off in November for Xmas.

Long ramble but needed some words to explain the idea.

.•º•. Stripey Is A Jedi ® .•º•.

(\----/) Chronic Organizer & Hair Dyer

(='.'=) Mother of Two Awesome Tweens

(")_(") 8x tattooed STAR WARS Geek
41Comments
    201 weeks ago
    Sounds like a fun project! I'm excited to see what the final quilt will look like :)
    201 weeks ago
    yeah sounds wicked,and i would love it but i dont no how well it will do on ebay ,ebay is a funny thing sometimes people go crazy for stuff and sometimes the opposite,just make sure you start it at a start price that you think is ok then go from there but i would always add an offers option so you can see what people are willing to offer for it.how many tees are there involved in it,
    and make sure you add a link when it is ready for auction.
    201 weeks ago
    oh green background sounds good as long as it is a dark/forest green, nut thats just my opinion,
    201 weeks ago
    I would go with something dark. Dark Green or Navy
    201 weeks ago
    dippycow_5 said: yeah sounds wicked,and i would love it but i dont no how well it will do on ebay ,ebay is a funny thing sometimes people go crazy for stuff and sometimes the opposite,just make sure you start it at a start price that you think is ok then go from there but i would always add an offers option so you can see what people are willing to offer for it.how many tees are there involved in it,

26 tees are involved. I'll have to get the links to correctly give credit to each artist and thus far it's about the size of a double bed mattress... not sure if it'll fit *over* the edges but this is just the shirts - nothing between or on the edges to make it look nicer. So it will be bigger.

I am thinking of this design (not the sports tees) since some designs are not full-front and others are.

http://tinyurl.com/364o5v5

Yes, navy or darker green - not grass green.

Thanks for the input and the reminder about eBay. It's the donation to the BCCA that I am hoping will encourage folks to bid higher but yes, putting up that "offer" thing is good too.

201 weeks ago
    i sell alot on ebay and always list with the offer option,you dont have to except any of the offers or you can make a counter offer but it just lets you no what people are interested in paying and often i sell items for just a couple of pound under its price just by getting an offer ,

26 tees thats alot of tees ,
    those quilts on that site are quite expensive but i guess there are alot of tee's involved.i no i cannot afford anything like that sorry.
    201 weeks ago
    I've made t-shirt quilts like this before, what an exciting idea! When it comes to backing, simple is obviously best, and the more neural the more cohesive it will be. I mean, it depends on the tshirts- but if it were me I'd probably go with a grey or a white/cream color
    201 weeks ago
    I don't know what color to suggest for the backing color as I don't know what shirts you're using for it.

As for Ebay, I've seen charity auctions get pretty high in price. You would probably do pretty good if you are advertising the auction to many places like neutral t-shirt sites/message boards, the organization site/message boards, and maybe even see if the artists whose shirts are involved will promote it on their sites and Facebooks as well.
    201 weeks ago
    StripeyMcD said:
    dippycow_5 said: yeah sounds wicked,and i would love it but i dont no how well it will do on ebay ,ebay is a funny thing sometimes people go crazy for stuff and sometimes the opposite,just make sure you start it at a start price that you think is ok then go from there but i would always add an offers option so you can see what people are willing to offer for it.how many tees are there involved in it,

26 tees are involved. I'll have to get the links to correctly give credit to each artist and thus far it's about the size of a double bed mattress... not sure if it'll fit *over* the edges but this is just the shirts - nothing between or on the edges to make it look nicer. So it will be bigger.

I am thinking of this design (not the sports tees) since some designs are not full-front and others are.

http://tinyurl.com/364o5v5

Yes, navy or darker green - not grass green.

Thanks for the input and the reminder about eBay. It's the donation to the BCCA that I am hoping will encourage folks to bid higher but yes, putting up that "offer" thing is good too.

Ebay has a thing about charity donations auctions. Special rules or something. I would look into that before you post your auction. There may be a special place to put it. They may not even allow it if you put it in the regular section. Since you've been a long time Ebay'er, you know how weird they can be sometimes. Make sure you are within the rules. Good luck!
    201 weeks ago

I agree
    201 weeks ago
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stripeymcdangerpants/4989522465/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stripeymcdangerpants/4990129000/

Let me know if those links do not work. That is the layout. I am planning to put a border in between each one so they stand out a bit more but need to decide on the colour. The backside will be different possibly. I have yet to decide.

I have Accounting homework + 2 kids to help with homework and a huge painting project for this weekend so I may not make much progress for a couple of weeks but it needs to get done sooner than later. Still thinking navy or forest for the back and a charcoal gray for the front.....

Thanks snarkygal for the reminder! I'll look into eBay and see what they say I need to do. And I'll contact the BCCA as well for their input.

201 weeks ago
    Hooray! All the wonderful things going on since I've been away. How amazing is this!?!?!

Some great shirts are gonna be on there. Not sure about the color of the backing either. I think you'll choose just fine. I can't wait to see this go up!
    201 weeks ago
    Wow, there are some great shirts in there!
    201 weeks ago
    I cannot wait to see the finished product. For color I think its best to go with a dark or neutral.

Wish I had a nice chunk of money laying around so I could snag this up.
    201 weeks ago
    oh dang, just noticed the collab shirt with my bird is gonna be used :D
    201 weeks ago
    EPIC
    201 weeks ago
    Wow, this is amazing!! I would so buy it if I could. I hope it sells well because it definitely deserves it.
    201 weeks ago
    Great project and awesome that you are doing it for charity. I also spy a wotto tee in the tee line up :)
    201 weeks ago
    I would do a dark grey, so it will go with all the shirts.
    201 weeks ago
    there are some wicked tee's in there its gonna look so cool,i dont think it matters to much about the backing colour as long as the dividing colour is ok,i guess a gray or cream may be to make the shirts stand out i guess the best thing is to find a colour that you dont have any shirts in to go between so every shirt stands out properly as you dont want the same colour as the shirts do you.i hope that makes sense
    200 weeks ago
    I'll throw my hat in with yellow my good man. Love the idea and support you 100%.
    200 weeks ago
    Go with grey or charcoal. Monochromes go with everything
    200 weeks ago
    hows it going have you had a chance to do much on the quilt this week?
    200 weeks ago
    UPDATE on Sept. 20th:

I've got all the tees cut out and have interfacing on their backs so they have some "weight" to them and lay flat.

The next step is making borders around each one to make them all look more uniform since they are not all the same size.

Example of what a border looks like surrounding something.href>

The borders will be tan and the background will be navy for the front. Not sure about the back side yet.... will decide that in a few days.

Maybe just tan again... :-)
    200 weeks ago
    D'OH! My tag didn't come out properly but the link works.
  • Load More Comments