Back to forum
rss 215 weeks ago
A breed is a race created by humans. As far as dog attack statistics, they are inherently flawed. Anyone reporting on these statistics can say that any dog is any breed. It's really just their best guess. Unless they have papers on that dog, or have done a DNA test, it's a guess that most people are not really qualified to make--news reporters being the least qualified. I have seen many other breeds mistaken for American pit bull terriers--boxers, American bulldogs, different mastiff breeds, Presa Canarios, even a black Lab.
Pit bulls were bred for hundreds of years to fight other dogs. This is not their fault, it is the fault of the breeders. Because of this, some pit bulls are dog aggressive. Being dog aggressive is completely different from being aggressive towards humans, and from being aggressive towards small animals (prey drive). All three traits stem from separate genes. I do not advocate pit bull type dogs being off leash in areas such as a dog park because of the dog aggression trait that some of them have. Some dogs never develop this trait, some develop it to a certain degree--my dog only has a problem with dogs who show aggression to her first.
Because of the nature of dog fighting, pit bulls are also the ONLY breed that was ever bred specifically to be non human aggressive. Before modern times, when the dogs got into the hands of bad breeders just trying to make a buck and people actually cared about genetics, if the dog showed any human aggression he was put down. Owners were expected to be down in the pit with their dogs to referee the fight, and if they could not put their hands on the dogs or get in between them reliably, there was a problem. The same dogs were used to babysit, guard the house, watch and herd livestock, and as a family pet.
One place that many people run into a problem nowadays is that these dogs are very intelligent and very headstrong. They NEED direction, and they NEED an alpha. If the human allows the dog to be alpha, it is a recipe for disaster. This can be true for all dogs. I have seen it for everything from small terriers and chihuahuas to cocker spaniels to labs. And before you say anything about small dogs not being able to do harm--I've read reports about papillons and Pomeranians killing infants.
18Comments
    215 weeks ago
    From the Dog Bite Law Center: http://www.dog-bite-law-center.com/pgs/stats.htmlhref>

"This breed is variously cited as being responsible for nearly a third of all fatal dog attacks in the United States, in part due to its tenacity in a fight. Pit bulls cause one-third of dog-bite related fatalities while only make up less than 2% of the dog population. Because of the deaths, maulings and serious injuries inflicted by Pit Bulls, many countries worldwide ban these dogs altogether or require licenses for ownership of them. In response to many high profile maulings and fatal attacks by Pit Bulls, many US cities and towns have specifically targeted the breed with legislation restricting ownership and increasing penalties on owners for attacks made by their Pit Bulls."

It is not media bull. Of course, with proper training, they can be sweet, but their nature is agressive. They are agressive, period. Don't matter if it is another dog or a person.

I personally, don't agree that they should never be pets, but many people don't give them the training they need to be sweet, loving pets, or the proper fencing to keep them in their yards. I've read or seen too many news reports of children or even adults being mauled by pits.
    215 weeks ago
    Oh, and calling somebody racist for not liking a breed of dog is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
    215 weeks ago
    Where does the Dog Bite Law Center get its statistics? Every statistic I have ever seen on dog bites is flawed, for the reason I stated above: "Anyone reporting on these statistics can say that any dog is any breed. It's really just their best guess." Any dog can be anything with training. I have seen more cocker spaniels willing to take a chunk out of you than any other breed, but I will still give each individual the benefit of the doubt, because that is what they deserve. I don't believe in judging a group based on the actions of a few.
    215 weeks ago
    Most of y'all know I do a lot of work with a no-kill animal shelter here in Dallas. We always have a large number of Pits. I've been bit three times, and I've never been bitten by a Pit. I have been bitten by a Chihuahua, a Benji-looking mixed mutt, and a weenie dog. I had much rather been in a run with two Pits and with one Chihuahua.
    Pits are probably the (based on my opinion on what I've seen) one of the most abused dogs in the Dallas area. Our volunteers who start off scared to death of the Pits after a while all end up loving the big goofy dogs.
    Just my two cents...
    215 weeks ago
    I so wish we had an edit function here. Noticing some errors now in my post. "I had much rather be in a run with two Pits than with one Chihuahua." Arghhh. Too early for serious discussion.
    215 weeks ago
    Okay, here's a goofy pit with a gushy face named Becky we had at the shelter. She was my pit education dog. Total sweetheart, well-behaved, and a lap dog. She ended up getting adopted by a nice senior couple who originally came in to look at some Beagles we had. They saw her, spent time with her, and fell in love with her.

legacybandopkindness010.jpg

By agrant311 at 2009-08-18
    215 weeks ago
    Grant, thank you so much for the work you do. I wish I could do that kind of work, but my knees and back are all busted from previous jobs, so the most I can do right now is transport for a local rescue group. I LOVE doing the transports though, I get to play with puppies and my husband can't get mad because I'm not bringing any home. When we get a house I will be able to foster too.
    215 weeks ago
    Becky is precious, love her smile!
    215 weeks ago
    gaiapriestess, I can appreciate your openness and willingness to defend your dog but you can't change how some people will perceive Pitbulls, or any dog for that matter. and I never said I disliked your dog personally. agrant311 pointed out he was bitten by a daschund and a chihauhua - I also dislike these dogs because I know they're known to bite and i've also had similar experiences where these breeds tried taking a chunk out of me. I also dislike weimeriners and poodles. conversely, my neighbors use to have a large brindle Boxer whom I thought was the sweetest dog ever, but their dog was almost tazered by the cops because some guy saw their dog, started running and was then chased. this was a case of someone provoking the dog by running, even though it didn't bite him.

I'm aware that a lot of people find my dog intimidating, especially children, because he's stocky and old, but I don't fault them for it. my wife's friend brought her two infants sons to our house a couple months ago and as soon as they saw our dog they screamed bloody murder. but I also understood why they did it. if I was a toddler and saw a barking dog twice my size i'd probably freak out too. I know my brother in-law doesn't like our dog because he's old, he's a mixed breed and he's covered in fatty lumps - I see the way he reacts toward him but the truth is, it doesn't bother me. as long as he doesn't do anything stupid like hit my dog i'm fine with it.
    215 weeks ago
    I may not be able to change everyone's mind, but if I can get some people to think more openly about it, that's good with me. The truth is that change does not come about by sitting idly by and hoping for it. You seemed willing to talk about it civilly (which honestly, is hard to find), so I figured we'd talk. I appreciate the chance for open, civil conversation.

Quite honestly, from looking at the picture of Gus, and depending on where he is from, it is very possible that Gus is mixed with a pit bull. Pit/lab mixes are VERY common, being that they are the two most common breeds in the country. I could tell you more definitely with a better picture. Also, I'd get those lipomas aspirated and sent to a lab just in case. My dad had a lab who died from "harmless" fatty tumors.
    215 weeks ago
    One of my dogs, Katie, is, of all things, a Pit-Russell (Pit Bull-Jack Russell mix). I'm not fond of the whole designer dog thing, but when getting rescues... Wiley, the dog in my profile pic, I did the DNA test on. Parents not pure, grandparents not pure, but 12% poodle, 12% Min Pin, rest unknow. So he's a PooPin Spaniel, as I call him.
    215 weeks ago
    I had Alee DNA tested too, since we knew she was a mix but couldn't tell what with. Ears are such a big clue in that, and unfortunately, someone saw fit to deprive her of hers. She's half AmStaff, the rest Bull Terrier and Australian Terrier. All I can figure is the Aus. Terrier accounts for her small size and narrower chest and face. We just call her a Woofer Beast (my husband's word).
    215 weeks ago
    Alright, i think i should finally throw my two cents into this conversation.

I work as a delivery driver in tallahassee and i have to say that the breed of dog i see most common is the majestic pit. I've been greeted with more happiness than i have teeth, so i for one believe that the aggressive nature somewhat lies in the trainer. That being said, i also believe that this nature also lies in the natural personality of the breed. Pits were first breed to fight bulls, so they are in essence a fighting dog, so it really shouldn't be so surprising that some fear the idea of the dreaded pitbull. I know im kinda working both sides of the fence, but the point im trying to make is that REGARDLESS OF HOW MUCH YOU SAY SOMETHING, PEOPLE WILL NEVER CHANGE UNLESS THEY DEAL WITH THINGS FIRST HAND. so in my honest opinion, this ENTIRE thread is void of any real reason for existing. Even my comments are just firsthand knowledge and cant be proven to be a real statistic within this ever-to-be ignorant topic
    215 weeks ago
    I own a 4 Year old pit bull, and have a 7 Year old daughter, Our pit bull is by far one of the nicest dogs anyone I know has ever met. My Best friend and her son were both afraid of dog, especially pit bulls and larger breed dogs because of a previous incident, They Adore Roxy, she live with 5 cats, and plays with them, we did have another older dog, that was Australian Ridgeback and Dingo, and she was more aggressive than Roxy as she started to age. I have been bit by Numerous animals in my life, as I used to work in a pet store, and, not once have I ever been bit, in a menacing way, by a pit bull. Cocker Spaniels and Chihuahuas seem to be the ones I have had the most problems with. have quite a few friends that also have pit bulls and not a sinlge one of them is the "Ferocious" Pit Bull Stereotype. Its not the dog, its how the dog is raised. I previously owned a Shepperd Lab Rot Mix, It was the meanest dog you would have ever met, and it honestly was just the dog, we did not train him to be mean, he just was. Some dogs might have it in their nature, but I don't think a specific breed should be shunned like the pit bull has.
    215 weeks ago
    I could never think bad things about Pit Bulls as a breed purely because Petey from Little Rascals was one :)
    215 weeks ago
    Yep, Petey was a pit. There was a celebrated war hero named Stumpy during WW2 who was a pit, I think he was even awarded a medal. Lots of famous figures from history had pits as well, a couple of our presidents (can't think of names off hand) & Helen Keller. In the 50s they were beloved as the all-American dog and a family dog, even though they were still used for dog fighting back then.
    215 weeks ago
    Just to emphasize what I was saying at the top of the page, about dog bite statistics being balogna.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/nutritioninformation/f/FAQ_string.htm

http://www.mprgroup.net/misc/findpit.html
    215 weeks ago
    MJ said: I could never think bad things about Pit Bulls as a breed purely because Petey from Little Rascals was one :)

oh mj. I
    also... my best friend growing up had a doberman and a pit... one bit me... one liked to give me so many kisses and i was drowing in his drool.

the doberman was the biter.

ive never met a mean pit. i see them and just want to snuggle the smurf out of em.