Back to forum
rss 216 weeks ago
I can't play at all but I'm really very serious about learning. There's this girl I'd really love to sing for, and I'd love to be able to write her songs and stuff but ANYWAYS that's a story for another time.

So I'm just wondering, some of you must play as well right? Please do give me some beginner pointers if you can, helpful little tips for some one starting out would be GREAT, it's much appreciated. Or even little things that are easy to forget really, just guitar general.
7Comments
    216 weeks ago
    I am self learned so I tend to go that direction. Play what you like. Play what sounds good to you. Other than that...

Elephants and Dogs Grow Beards Easily (standard tuning, the strings are EADGBE).

Eddie and Freddie, Beatrice and Ceatrice (on the guitar every note is 2 frets apart other than E and F, B and C (they are one fret apart).

Play songs you know really well to start, it will make it easier to learn them since you will know if it sounds "right" or not, rather than random melodies or songs in a intro guitar book that you have no idea if you are playing right. (google guitar tab for a song you like).

216 weeks ago
    Also, don't worry about missing notes at first, or hitting them in order... timing... get timing and your hand/finger posture and form first, the rest will fall into place.
    216 weeks ago
    ALl good advice. I taught myself how to play as well, but another great tip is get yourself a Chord Chart. Once you learn the names of chords it'll make learning songs ALOT easier. Also, learn power chords! They aren't quite as melodic as regular chords, but they'll do in a pinch. ESPECIALLY depending on what kind of music you're trying to play. Good luck man!
    216 weeks ago
    Cool, cool, thanks alot you guys, I'm sure I'll need that.
    216 weeks ago
    I for one love a good serenade so go for it chihu, were rootin for ya man.
    216 weeks ago
    Appreciate it :D I think I'll even wear my favorite teefury shirt there too.
    216 weeks ago
    So it went very well, my teacher was super nice and more laid back then I thought he'd be. At first I thought he was going at quite a slow pace but as I left the class and summed up what I had learned it was actually a lot. How to read the strings, good posture, how to tune it, how to read the music charts, what the treble, bar lines, time signatures meant and how long the beats lasted. I'm practicing some chords now and having a lot of fun with it :) I think I found a really fun new hobby, hurray for me.