Back to forum
rss 203 weeks ago
I made this a few months ago on a blank wall in my apartment. I am about to move out... so I am going to have to take it down. Thought I would share it with you guys. Most of my apartment is decked out in various types of trees.

You can see most of the process in the pictures. I used exactly 700 tacks, about 100yrds of yarn, and never cut the string until the end.

If the pictures do not appear immediately, come back in about 30 minutes. Photobucket typically has a grace period. Sorry for the huge post :)

31Comments
    203 weeks ago
    Wow, what a neat project!
    203 weeks ago
    That looks so "artsy" i guess is the word im lookin for.
    I just painted my bedroom and now im seriously considering doing something like that.
    Do you have any tips for how to do it/get it it to look right?
    203 weeks ago
    Well, first either draw or find a tree on the internet you like. Tape it up to the wall as you begin for reference.

At first, I was just placing tacks in the shape of the tree without drawing. But after a while, I was forgetting why I placed certain tacks where they were. So start by making small portions of the tree and lightly drawing lines between tacks - essentially drawing the tree on the wall little by little. As you begin wrapping the yarn, you will get better and better and be able to envision what it is you are doing. If you mess up, simply unwind.

For example, looping the yarn in long linear loops to tacks far away will give the tree a more fairy-tale look. Looping the yarn on all adjacent tacks gives it a more rugged/real look (like mine).

Be sure to get something to press the tacks into the wall. That was the worst part and about exploded my fingers.
    203 weeks ago
    You are awesome.
    203 weeks ago
    Haha that's awesome. I think your landlords gonna be pissed bout all them tack holes though.
    203 weeks ago
    I heard toothpaste is great for filling tack holes... :)
    203 weeks ago
    can you come to my house and do that? I love trees. especially ones with no leaves.
    203 weeks ago
    VERY cool!!!
    203 weeks ago
    wow
    203 weeks ago
    wow, that's neat.
    203 weeks ago
    Holy Spock hahah that's amazing
    203 weeks ago
    this is awesome. love it.
    203 weeks ago
    Very cool!
    203 weeks ago
    Wow that looks really neat!
    202 weeks ago
    Its awesome. What a great idea. You should do a whole forest in your new place =]
    202 weeks ago
    this is so cool
    202 weeks ago
    Oh wow that's absolutely brilliant. Makes me wanna go out and buy a place so I can do crazy things like this!!
    201 weeks ago
    This is simply amazing... especially the fact that it was made with everyday and inexpensive materials, too! I would never thought of making something like this.
    201 weeks ago
    TREE!
    201 weeks ago
    Wow, I really would love to try this, thanks BDParmer! ^_^

alunamoth said: Very cool!

Hehe, I knew my sister would love this too!
    Hi Jayme! /WAVE
    201 weeks ago
    that's pretty f#%king amazing!
    201 weeks ago
    0_o Wow!
    201 weeks ago
    Before I forget... Did you coat the yarn with anything to prevent dustbunnies clinging? or cover? quickest would be a plastic laid over the piece.
    200 weeks ago
    1,163 Stumble upon views and 28 likes since may 26th
    200 weeks ago
    Dude, that is Spocking amazing. I am very impressed. If it weren't for my cats, who would inevitably end up destroying it, I would try something like this.
  • Load More Comments