Back to forum
rss 207 weeks ago
So I have two tattoos:

Photobucket

(It's really hard to take good pictures of your own feet.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also have this problem. I'm really twitchy while getting tattooed, whether they hurt or not. The first tattoo didn't hurt, but my abs kept tightening and loosening. Not a real big deal, the artist said he felt like he was tattooing on a ship. The second one was a major problem though. I had my hands pressed into my tendons (for over an hour!) so that I wouldn't jerk, and it still didn't help. I was still kicking all over the place. And yeh, the foot hurt a lot more than the hip, but still. So I'm wondering if I can take something for future tattoos to avoid the twitches, so that my art doesn't end up looking like smurf. Painkillers, muscle relaxers? I know that certain painkillers will thin the blood too much, and are not recommended. I usually prefer Advil. I have no experience with muscle relaxers. Halp!
34Comments
    207 weeks ago
    Vicodin? Whiskey?-(not too much, don't want to thin the blood)
    Maybe try some breathing exercises?

My tattoo is on my back and it took 4 2 hour sessions. I basically either tried to maintain steady, deep breaths and focus on exhaling the discomfort and giddiness (sounds cheesy but when you focus on all the negative aspects of the situation just being exhaled right out of your body, it helps - in with the good, out with the bad), or (when he was on my extensors, near my spine) gritted my teeth, told him I couldn't talk for that portion of the tattoo, and just toughed it out.
    207 weeks ago
    http://www.drnumb.com/
    207 weeks ago
    Hmmm, that Dr. Numb stuff looks like an interesting product, if it works. I can't help feeling that all of their forum posts are by their employees though. Have you used it?
    207 weeks ago
    Nope but i know a few people who have. They all say it's helps a lot. Doesn't make it pain free exactly, but it's very helpful.
    207 weeks ago
    Muscle relaxants would be your best bet. I'm not sure how you would go about getting them though. It sounds like it's more of your nerves than the pain. Drinking could help as well to settle you. Also, and I know this sounds weird, yoga would help. Anything to train you to control your muscles
    207 weeks ago
    It is a very common thing, and an experienced artist will be able to work around your twitching. An experienced and professional artist will also not work on you if you drink, take painkillers, or take muscle relaxers. You should also be signing a form before your tattoo that says you are not under the influence of any alcohol or drugs.

My suggestion: Find a better artist.
    207 weeks ago
    ^Exactly. Lots of shops will never touch a needle to anyone who has been drinking.
    207 weeks ago
    Wasn't planning on drinking anyway--I'm on too many medications to touch alcohol. CNS depression? No ty.

I'm hoping that the new artist I want to go to will be ok with the twitching then. Admittedly, the guy who did the first two was a novice.
    207 weeks ago
    It's also a great idea to ask the actual artist ahead of time what they prefer when dealing with someone who twitches. They may have a suggestion or maybe they don't even mind.
    207 weeks ago
    I was gonna say bring a bottle of Crown to the shop and share it with your artist.
    207 weeks ago
    Find a better artist.
    The line-weights are inconsistent.

With the amount of brilliant artists out there, there's no reason to settle for just anyone that has a shop in a building somewhere.
    And do NOT get tattooed in someone's home by a KITCHEN MAGICIAN.

This advice goes farther than what you're asking for, I just get really passionate about the tattoo industry having been involved in it for almost 13 years.

P.S. That numbing agent is useless. As difficult as it may seem, mind over matter is your best bet. Having sat for several 5 hour sessions, on the ribs no less, it does take a bit of mental power to get thru with some of the pain and uncomfortable positioning.

My Anteater king Done by Chris May of ProtonTattoos.
    I traveled 3 hours to get this done.
    Click on it to see full size pic.
    207 weeks ago
    Oh. Good. Don't click on it.
    TeeFury's filters phucked with the link.
    Gotta love that.

l_b9068cc13d9e4605888a33f996d7b374.jpg

Let's see if *THIS* works.
    207 weeks ago
    Note the cherry blossom. A very good friend who is a brilliant tattoo artist, let me try to tattoo myself many years ago. Wow. I coulda been a tattoo artists in one of those mall shops! *lol*
    207 weeks ago
    Fuzzy, I don't suppose you know of any good artists in Vermont. And that anteater king is spectacular, just the idea for it is pretty amazing.
    207 weeks ago
    FuzzyLogic said: Find a better artist.
    The line-weights are inconsistent.

With the amount of brilliant artists out there, there's no reason to settle for just anyone that has a shop in a building somewhere.
    And do NOT get tattooed in someone's home by a KITCHEN MAGICIAN.

This advice goes farther than what you're asking for, I just get really passionate about the tattoo industry having been involved in it for almost 13 years.

P.S. That numbing agent is useless. As difficult as it may seem, mind over matter is your best bet. Having sat for several 5 hour sessions, on the ribs no less, it does take a bit of mental power to get thru with some of the pain and uncomfortable positioning.

My Anteater king Done by Chris May of ProtonTattoos.
    I traveled 3 hours to get this done.
    Click on it to see full size pic.

kitchen magician
    hiiiiiiiighlarious.
    i got a tattoo when i was 15 on my ribs with some dudes gun that was made out of guitar strings and pen ink
    so id have to agree with fuzzy
    theres too many bush league artists out there that can offer cheap prices for shitastic tattoos
    207 weeks ago
    gaiaspriestess said: Fuzzy, I don't suppose you know of any good artists in Vermont. And that anteater king is spectacular, just the idea for it is pretty amazing.

I do this kind of thing quite often actually.
    Have pointed out some very good shops and artists to other people either by me knowing them, hearing of them or searching a city to find what I find to be professional artists who happen to tattoo :)

Whhiitt. I'm so glad you agree with this mentality. Tattooing has come so far in the last decade in a good way, but it also produces things in a bad way as people think that all they have to do is trace lines on someone's body put on there by a stencil and they're good.
    If you want to see some seriously crazy sh]t, check out these guys. I got a kick ass Rooster done by Brandon Bond from All Or Nothing Tattoos
    Seriously. LOOK at this!

Brandon_new_sleeve_8x10_cropped_-1.jpg

I actually WON the Anteater King Tattoo from
    Chris May of Proton Tattoos in Illinois
    19573_389012330642_382782765642_10204328_7441782_s.jpg

after he had a contest to kick up some creative juices in his already amazing brain. I came up with An Anteater King in a Throne. He did all the rest.

You can click on Eddy to see his Facebook Portfolio.
    You can also click on the Sleeve (first pic) to see the folks page at All Or Nothing.
    207 weeks ago
    gaiaspriestess said: Fuzzy, I don't suppose you know of any good artists in Vermont. And that anteater king is spectacular, just the idea for it is pretty amazing.

I forgot to ask. What part of Vermont?
    How far are you willing to drive for a new, new, permanent body mod?
    207 weeks ago
    I'm in Randolph, it's right smack in the center. I'd probably drive up to 2-3 hours for a good tattoo, especially because the next ones I want to get are of my animals, and if those were even the slightest Spocked up I'd be PIIIIIIIISSSSSSSED.

Another question, as I've heard conflicting answers on this. My back is covered in moles, some are big and raised, most are small and flush with my skin (more like freckles). I've heard that some artists will not tattoo over them because of the chance of developing melanomas, and I respect that. Considering how much they bleed and hurt when I accidentally scratch one thinking it's a bug bite, I wouldn't want a tattoo gun over one of the raised ones anyway. To your knowledge, do artists usually have a problem tattooing over the small frecklish ones as well?
    207 weeks ago
    NO artist should be tattooing over moles. Period. Any good artist will just tattoo around them. It'll be ok and not ruin your tattoo outcome.

Having a tattoo _machine_ go over a raised mole would sock, fo sho!
    BTW, I LOVE the pics you posted in teh TeeFury Show ya face pics! :D

I'm off to go look myself for artists around Randolph. That's SO cool you'd drive that far. To me, that just makes sense if you're going to permanently modify your body! Always remember and never forget:

Good Tattoos aren't cheap and cheap Tattoos aren't Good. :)
    Be Right Back! :D
    207 weeks ago
    Wow. This is over an hour away, and you'd have to be able to get into Canada. If I lived that close to THIS shop... I'd be honored to get tattooed by ANY of the SEVEN artists at the TM1 list of artists at
    StudioTattooMania. Dang. Amazing stuff. Go check them out.

DSC_2263.jpg
    Just click on the above AMAZING piece of art. Wow. I'm blown away. This specific one is done by the artist Pierre C.

P.S. It looks like you live in a beautiful part of our Country!

One cool thing to remember is you can do tattoos in sessions. Therefore, making it easier to heal AND easier on your wallet for a visit. Depending on how big you want to go.
    I'd recommend checking out all the portfolios online and then emailing the one you like best, or if you like them all, just a general email about what you'd like to get done and where.
    Let me know if getting there would be a problem.
    Tried finding some websites of shops near you, but they don't seem to have any online web pages. Weird. :(
    Will go check out *cough* myfinalfrontier for a few more local, but wow. This place is amazing.
    207 weeks ago
    Yeh, Vermont is really gorgeous. Very different from where I grew up (Va. Beach). I don't think getting to Canada would be a problem. Apparently you can pay a little extra and have your license turned into a passport up here (only good for Canada). We didn't do it because we didn't know, but it's cheaper than the $200 for a regular passport, so I figure why not. That and a lot of good concerts go to Montreal.

Tonight I will see if I can rig up my camera somehow to take pics of my back and shoulders and show you what I mean... it would literally be in the tens of thousands if I were to get my moles removed enough to get a full back piece. I look like a damned Appaloosa.
    207 weeks ago
    LOL
    Appaloosa. You're so funny. Maybe you could get a tiny leopard and use the moles as the spots. *chuckle*

That's so cool to be able to do that with your license, I live in Michigan, I'm gonna find out if that's possible to do as well since Canada is so darned close.
    207 weeks ago
    This thread makes me want to get tattooed even more. Need money and a design. =.=
    207 weeks ago
    weed
    206 weeks ago
    TeeBoneShirts said: weed

You SPAMMIN' Foo! :)
  • Load More Comments