Back to forum
rss 208 weeks ago
So I'm watching on how the people at south park make episodes( pretty awesome actually) and I see they have little pads that they draw on, im guessing there are programs like that out there where you plug that screen into your usb port and it'll draw onto your computer. Also heard an artist recently mention something like that, some kind of Illustrator. Anyone have any suggestions to programs like that? I wanna see!

If your interested, this is the south park/xbox vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtwR3INQCWU&feature=related
22Comments
    208 weeks ago
    like a tablet, right?
    208 weeks ago
    yup! some kind of tablet
    208 weeks ago
    They just look like touch screen monitors.

I think you'll find the big animation studios will use highly modified off the shelf programs. Or in some cases custom built software (I'm looking at your Pixar)

But you can use stuff like Photoshop with these touch screen monitors. Fun stuff especially with touch/pressure sensitive brushes.

If you can't afford a touch screen, like Niku said a graphics tablet does the same thing (just is a drastically diminished way)
    208 weeks ago
    Do those come seperate with different drawing programs? or do they all have their own little tablet thing
    208 weeks ago
    codenamerocky said: They just look like touch screen monitors.

I think you'll find the big animation studios will use highly modified off the shelf programs. Or in some cases custom built software (I'm looking at your Pixar)

But you can use stuff like Photoshop with these touch screen monitors. Fun stuff especially with touch/pressure sensitive brushes.

If you can't afford a touch screen, like Niku said a graphics tablet does the same thing (just is a drastically diminished way)

Oh, you can use it with photoshop? nicee. I've actually never used that cause i dont own a camera haha but I mean making little sketches, filling in colour. Making stuff like in the current featured artist's portfolio.
    208 weeks ago
    One Be Lo said: Do those come seperate with different drawing programs? or do they all have their own little tablet thing

One device will work in all programs.

Go get yourself a copy of Photoshop and start playing around. The name might be misleading....is used for ALOT more than just doing stuff with photos. Hit the web and do some tutorials, they teach you a lot of the basics, but most of the time you pick up little techniques through time consuming trial and error.
    208 weeks ago
    Theres this way cool program called ms paint. yeah i do most of my art and photo editing with that. its so cheap! it comes with nearly all pcs! For Free! :D
    208 weeks ago
    Jethro said: Theres this way cool program called ms paint. yeah i do most of my art and photo editing with that. its so cheap! it comes with nearly all pcs! For Free! :D

hehe all jokes aside, I had a client I was doing a website for email me one day saying that they had amended my design to what they thought it should be.

I opened the file and it had been done in Paint. I didn't know whether to ask them if were kidding around or not.
    208 weeks ago
    codenamerocky said:
    One Be Lo said: Do those come seperate with different drawing programs? or do they all have their own little tablet thing

Go get yourself a copy of Photoshop and start playing around. The name might be misleading....is used for ALOT more than just doing stuff with photos. Hit the web and do some tutorials, they teach you a lot of the basics, but most of the time you pick up little techniques through time consuming trial and error.

Very misleading! haha yes. I just browsed some youtube videos on tablets then on programs. Photoshop looks great! Also Autodesk Sketchbook pro 2010 looks amazing
    208 weeks ago
    One Be Lo said:
    codenamerocky said:

Very misleading! haha yes. I just browsed some youtube videos on tablets then on programs. Photoshop looks great! Also Autodesk Sketchbook pro 2010 looks amazing

Photoshop is really great...and also expensive. If you don't have several hundred dollars to spend on software (or a well-connected friend), you might need to look into other options. Or, you could go this route:
    wherecanidownloadphotosbn2.gif
    208 weeks ago
    lol real subtle.
    208 weeks ago
    wacom cintiq FTW!
    208 weeks ago
    love wacom tablets + photoshop! i work almost exclusively that way.
    208 weeks ago
    biotwist said: wacom cintiq FTW!

Thing looks super expensive haha but great though
    208 weeks ago
    biotwist said: wacom cintiq FTW!

If I had the money I'd buy one of these....sadly I'm poor. I'll have to make do with my smurfy tablet till I find a sugar momma.
    208 weeks ago
    Wait 'smurfy' makes it through the filter???
    208 weeks ago
    Say it a few times and maybe it'll turn into "chocolate"
    208 weeks ago
    Mmmm... Chocolate tablet...
    208 weeks ago
    this is a last minute entry, but at woot.com today they are selling a stylus that converts most laptops to tablet function. only 40$!

the deal expires in about 15 minutes though, so think fast
    208 weeks ago
    not sure how well it works etc... but its the Hantech Tablo for Laptops

http://sale.images.woot.com/Hantech_Tablo_for_Laptopsz7wStandard.jpg
    208 weeks ago
    i bet a chocolate tablet would be like a giant ghiradelli square.

the wacom bamboo is a great, high-quality starter tablet.
    208 weeks ago
    If you're not sure if you want to buy PhotoShop yet, try downloading GIMP and playing around with that first. It's kinda complicated to use, but it's free, and you don't have to worry about the FBI bustin down your door.