Back to forum
rss 298 weeks ago
his portfolio already has a piece with the same font AND layout. Hopefully he doesn't think he can just put whimsical "phrases" on anything and sell it. I'm passing due to his unoriginalityness :P
13Comments
    298 weeks ago
    I'm of course talking about the "Lorem Ipsum" shirt.

Still getting used to these forums. Great site btw.
    298 weeks ago
    haha, well him is actually a her I believe : )
    298 weeks ago
    and this is what she said about it:
    Lorem Ipsum is fake text which designers use when they don't have the real text yet. It's placeholder text.

I've used it in this design because i didn't really have anything to say, but I had a nice illustration style to do it in :)

personally I really like it, but I don't know how these tees fit yet as I haven't got the first one I ordered yet so I'd like to wait and see how that one fits since a lot of t-shirts are not long enough for me in a medium but are too big width wise in a large.
    298 weeks ago
    Oh, I know that its placeholder text. I think its a neat idea for a shirt, actually. My problem with it is that she(!) is showing off 2 designs on her site using this same font and layout. I just think that's lame.

http://rikkib.net/pictures/slide172.jpg
    298 weeks ago
    Perhaps I'm not a hardcore t-shirt art purist; but I say hooray for options. - For those of us that have been eagerly awaiting a chance to pick up her 'Lorem Ipsum' design once it was finally ownable, who cares what color it was eventually printed in.
    RikkiB kicks ass. Who cares if she has something similar on the her site, it's her design regardless. Repurposing is an art staple
    298 weeks ago
    I actually like the "you're not going to like it" version better if the type was in a different color, yet the "lorem ipsum" shirt is more appealing to me just because I'm a designer and in the design culture, this is understood.
    298 weeks ago
    Yeah...re-purposing designs works on a client-to-client basis, not for your portfolio. Any designer worth their salt wouldn't dare have the same layout with different copy in their portfolio. It just doesn't make sense. You pick the better one (which, by default, is the Lorem Ipsum shirt in this case) and ditch the other.

Having both designs present makes it look like you're hoping whoever doesn't like one might like the other which also means you yourself do not really like one more than the other which also means you're generally indifferent as to how you want your work to present itself and you're resorting slapping anything you feel like onto your site.

Part of being a good designer is knowing when you are wrong or when something looks bad.

Does she possess this skill? Probably.
    Am I reading too far into it? Maybe. I just know I wouldn't have both shirts there and my reasons why I wouldn't. I'm only wondering what her reason for having both is.

Question: For those of you that like both (which are fine by themselves), would you BUY both?
    298 weeks ago
    So, I hate to bump this wonderful thread of hate, but what the hell do you care about what someone has in her portfolio? It's her own damn business what she chooses to include in her portfolio (literally). Insulting someone else's portfolio purely for the sake of talking is much lamer then anything rikki B has in her portfolio. If you have nothing invested in whether she succeeds or not, please quit talking now.
    298 weeks ago
    Sigh...methinks you didn't really read through my last post. It was only my overextended view of her portfolio. I attempted to bring her intentions into discussion and possibly get other peoples opinions. Perhaps my tone was misinterpreted.

Also, her portfolio might not be my business, but she is displaying it to the world and opening herself to other peoples criticism. Have you never discussed the work of others openly? Never gone to see a movie and said "man, that sucked" or "wow, I wish I had thought of that"? I'm willing to bet you have. Do you really think your opinion matters to the creators or anyone else? It doesn't matter if it does, people voice their opinions anyway. It happens all the time.

I never insulted her work. In fact, I said I liked both pieces. My post was about the aesthetics of her web site. So how about adding something to the discussion instead of weeping all over it?

I'm sorry if you think this forum was just meant for people to say "yay! I love that shirt" over and over again. Lighten up, Francis.
    298 weeks ago
    Its not common to discuss someone's portfolio.. It is usually mentioned when you say something good and only good about it.. like ''hey check this out he got great portfolio''..If portfolio is full of smurf you just dont mention it. If you want to discuss this discuss it with RikkiB. With no offence meant portofolio is something sacred to artist and its should be judged in your own peace of mind, so please do that - because as you can see no1 is interested in this kind of discussion in PUBLIC.
    298 weeks ago
    Reliique, artists should always have taken a course in constructive criticism as well :) As an artist myself (well, not so much anymore as I was when I was younger), I did like it when people made comments about my stuff-- not always "oh wow, it's great!" constantly. That doesn't help people grow. Sure, it gives us a confidence boost, but...

But at the same time, you need to be constructive about it. Saying you don't like "something" doesn't really help an artist either. At least the OP did specify what he did not like :)
    298 weeks ago
    Jebus Christ!

This particular design (Lorem) was made and subbed to anothersite. After getting a bunch of feedback from the anothersite audience, I decided to recreate the design with new words, hence 'You're not going to like it' was created. I removed Lorem from anothersite and replaced it with the new one, which got a much better reception from that audience.

I still think Lorem is a worthy tee in it's own right so I chose to send it to Teefury for a one day only print.

My personal website isn't a professional folio existing to garner work. I design tees for fun and I enjoy being part of the community. Let's please keep it that way.

Thank you and good day sir.