Back to forum
rss 312 weeks ago
I came to the site thanks to Wotto's fabulousness.

I clicked around, saw the large artist page, clicked about us and didn't get a definitive answer to this question.

Do you "hire" the artists, do artists submit designs? (I've seen a blog or 2 that make it seem like you do) I can't figure it out.

I had sent an e-mail in to service @ teefury.com, and I'm hoping my artist consideration e-mail doesn't look foolish.

So, what's up here?
11Comments
    312 weeks ago
    Hello Dann,

Just responded to your email - but this is a good post - we should discuss.

I'm hoping my artist consideration e-mail doesn't look foolish.

Your email looked fantastic, although wouldn't it be nice if we could FORCE our emails to a certain font and kern and this would be represented across all the recipients? I mean really, nothing like Times New Roman screwing up your message.

On to the heart of the matter - How does TeeFury pick its Art and Artist?

At first we were emailing artists we really love and have art crushes on and asking them if we could feature them on the FURY.

Then it got all crazy and artists started coming out of the woodworks like zombies - althought they were much nicer than zombies because they had no desire to eat our brains.

So a few days before we launched I hurried and made art.teefury.com to make the art collection process a little easier.

We have kept this link on the downlow and passing it to artist here and there and forwarding it to folks such as yourself who inquire to be join the other artists.

We do not hire any artists. The daily tee is from a featured artist and piece we have hand selected. The artists retains 100% rights to the artwork and allows us to sell the design on their behalf for 24 hours for the royalty fee of $1 per tee. The copyright and ownership remains with the artist and they are free to submit, sell, pimp their design wherever they would like.

312 weeks ago
    well, it's out in the open now, I hope that's a good thing!

Thanks for the speedy response!
    312 weeks ago
    One last little technicality:

Anyone who would like to join PLEASE make sure you have a portfolio site of some type - does not have to be fancy like Dann's super portfolio here or his anothersite awesomeness here -but you need something to show us you your skills - it can be a link to your anothersite profile and subs, flickr, emptees, some random blog - whatever you like - if you do NOT have a portfolio you will be deleted from the artist section (with love of course).

312 weeks ago
    I actually think the secrecy angle is best, just so you don't have to purge the accounts like you mentioned.

Maybe just add this to the About Us page

"The TeeFury artists are usually invited to our site. But fear not! If you have the chops, drop us an -email: service @ teefury.com. Make sure to include a portfolio of some sort, be it website, flikr, anything that shows a number of your designs, or we probably won't consider your request."

I think that would cover the bases you need without the extra legwork of destroying accounts and making for angry new designers (I've seen how they react when a submission at other sites is dropped early, they get pretty petty pretty fast)
    312 weeks ago
    Another question.

Should the submissions have some presentation to them? Or are you looking for just the design art?

I am imagining that you'd like the presentation, as it appears you have used what could have been Wotto's presentation sub on the front page.
    312 weeks ago
    Dann - updated the about us page - thank you for the suggestion!

Most folks sub at 640x500 - we will use it again on the home page to save us some time prepping for each day.

Otherwise, we will just create the home page design image from the high-res art and of course we like to take our t-shirt model shots and through some fun backgrounds behind them.
    312 weeks ago
    My current avatar link is to my webcomic. I'm assuming that won't count as a portfolio? I've got anothersite and DBH accounts but they're pretty bare (only 1 design each). If need be, I guess I can set up a flickr account and stick my past designs on there and email you the new link.
    312 weeks ago
    webcomics are fine - its up to you we can update your link when your ready - really we are not going to start cleaning house - but we had some folks submitting WITHOUT a link to anything - just empty nothingness (as opposed to full nothingness). So this post is for them not you.
    312 weeks ago
    Ha! Nice edit to the about us page, nearly verbatim.

I await my copywriting royalty check. :D
    312 weeks ago
    $1 per shirt
    .01 per word
    seeing your comment on the about us page,
    priceless.
    307 weeks ago
    ^ haha

Whoa. I just checked out that link to dann's website *head explodes*. The way his portfolio is integrated onto the moving train as graffiti... pure genius.