Back to forum
rss 222 weeks ago
So my friend I are having a little debate. It was inspired by the recent Oh The Humanity shirt that i bought. He believes that the shirt was a waste of money because it has no meaning. I got it because it looked cool and i liked the design. He seems to believe that every shirt needs to have some funny or entertaining purpose, but i told him that i don't wear shirts to entertain people. i simply wear shirts that i find interesting myself, and people can think whatever they want. The point of art is to invoke thought in someone. Does anyone want to share some ideas?
24Comments
    222 weeks ago
    I probably would've responded with extreme sarcasm. "Whaaaat? Are you kidding me? I'm breaking the rules of why a person should like a shirt? Oh no this is terrible, all this time I've been thinking that an individual could like something for whatever reason they choose, now I come to find out that there are unspoken LAWS about this! I'm going to have to replace my entire wardrobe now with more entertaining shirts!" I'd go on like that for a long time.
    Anyway, you're not wrong. It's called "different strokes for different folks". Your friend doesn't know what he's talking about.
    222 weeks ago
    your friends a GeordiLaForge.

:)
    222 weeks ago
    really? d o u c h e is said enough on here that they needed a filter? clever.
    222 weeks ago
    you got a rad shirt friend. i bet you will have tons of people who will be like... "where did you get that shirt?"

thestray is right. different strokes, different folks.

btw, that shirt was one of the more popular ones this month.

... as far as art debate... that's too far down the rabbit hole.

personally, as an artist, although alot of people will say trite comments like, art should be for yourself, etc etc... when an artist creates art, its like being a singer, you are the entertainer of the audience... whether yourself or for others... art is to help pass the time by giving people something to look at, have an opinion about, etc. it makes a relatively boring work, at least somewhat interesting. if it helps to engage people into action or thought, great, but it doenst have to have such grandiose effects to be art. a doodle fart can be art.

all things are art.
    222 weeks ago
    I agree.. Basically, art all round is subjective. Only sometimes in advertising design should there be something in way of a message but not always.
    222 weeks ago
    The point of a shirt is to cover your chest.

The point of the art on a shirt is a completely different matter, but as has been otherwise stated it's completely down to personal preference, and yes many of us do end up with a personal attachment to individual shirts, this can be down to a whole host of reasons which to be honest tend to more relate to memories than the emotional content of the design itself.
    222 weeks ago
    I feel like I'm back in my ART 109 class..."What is art...?"

But for me personally, I love having shirts that mean something to me. I do have an attachment to almost all my shirts, and each one has some kind of story behind it. Which is why I can't seem to ever get rid of any.

As for the design on them, I love multiple kinds. Usually a big bold image or words, and a fairly simple design. I also love college shirts, those with band names/logos on them, and just ones in general that make people smile or look at me funny when they see it.

I love wearing shirts that do their job of getting people to notice their surroundings. If it's the random shirt I'm wearing, great, makes my day. But there are also lots of shirt designs I love but I don't wear or own because I don't think I look good in them, so I pass. Like the recent busy shirts with LOTS going on, I loved them but they just weren't my style.

I wonder if that answers the question.....
    222 weeks ago
    I like artsy shirts the best
    because not everyone has the motivation to read or ponder your shirt, but people do normally get a quick look at the design.

its nice if it has a pun,
    but for me, cool design is top priority.
    222 weeks ago
    jimiyo said:

all things are art.

for the most part, I agree with this. in my opinion, the exception comes with parodies. while some are very original and it's obvious that time was put into creating it, others are SO close to the original design that its hard to call it art. for example, when there is an image with some text and the only thing changed for the spoofalicious is the text. is that art? is anyone who can add a funny phrase to an image an artist? i dont think so.
    222 weeks ago
    spoofalicious = p-a-r-o-d-y
    222 weeks ago
    Everyone has their own personal style and even if the only shirts printed at TeeFury were the artistic type, nobody would like all of them.

I personally prefer more artistic shirts. They match my personality better than humorous shirts. I'd prefer not to feel like people are laughing at me, even if it's just my shirt.

However, I realize that I'm not everyone. Funny and cute shirts sell better. I'd rather TeeFury offer artistic shirts semi-regularly and continue to sell entertaining shirts to keep the cash flowing in. I don't want to see the quality of the shirts drop again or worse because art purists were too vocal about having no more puns on shirts.
    222 weeks ago
    Well, me being so outspoken against funny shirts on here isn't because they're bad-some are actually rather funny. But it's that thing like when you're told a joke twice: It just loses the power it had before, especially in today's short attention spanned society, we're tuning out more and more things after seeing them once and being like "oh, cool."

I like designs that are intricate, you can't simply glance over them once and find everything. These kinds of designs keep people looking and interested, and some of the shirts that have been on here in the past month have been much like pictures on the internet, where they ARE funny, and you DO laugh, but afterward, you just ignore them and tune them out when they are reposted. Everything is art; there's no "skeleton key" of design that will please everyone, it's just that now that I've grown older I've found it harder to laugh at something more than once, (unless it's at 12 am and I'm so tired even the trash they throw on Adult Swim is funny) which has made me more critical of funny shirts.

Wall of text, etc., but thank you for taking the time to read all of that.
    222 weeks ago
    I like to wear clothing that reflects who I am.

Creative
    Artistic
    Individualistic
    and comfortable, which is the phase I am in right now... As opposed to tailor fit.

I perfer wearing tee's that have intricate designs that are NOT printed in the centre of the tee. For example, designs that have a wrap-around print on the tee, or on the shoulder, or even just off centre, with lots of negative space.

222 weeks ago
    I have t-shirts that I cherish because of the quality of the artwork and the connection I make with it. But, I also have t-shirts that I know only have a short shelf life because of the content. To me, in some ways t-shirts can be disposable media. So what if the message wont mean much in 3 weeks time. Sites like this selling great quality tees for such an awesome price allow a lot of people to buy clothing purely for 'the moment'. Having said that, you do get attached to some tees that you hope will last for many years as you would any other form of art.
    222 weeks ago
    I see dead people
    222 weeks ago
    That's what Miles Straume said
    222 weeks ago
    Thanks for all the input guys. My post really sprouted out of rage probably caused by the game i was playing (Counter Strike: Source) while i was talking with my friend, but it has turned into a nice discussion. I originally really wanted to get your guys' opinions on how simple a design can be before it turns into something thats not really worth it. Also, does a design really have to have a purpose? When its something so simple as just a little guy saying "OMG", with no reason behind it, is it really worth paying for? My opinion is yes, because i liked the design and the idea.
    222 weeks ago
    jimiyo said: That's what Miles Straume said

You sir are obsessed.
    222 weeks ago
    Sometimes, even if the shirt had no original meaning behind it, but it has one for you, I think that's enough. I only buy things I create a personal bond with, that really mean something to me, but I think that paying for a tee just because you like it is perfectlly valid too.
    222 weeks ago
    Wow, interesting discussion.. especially since it's come from one of my designs :)

I suppose I design the sorts of tees I like to wear. Sometimes it has a message, sometimes it's just about looking good. In the case of my OMG tee, I figured if it brings a smile to someone's face then it's done it's job. One of the greatest gifts we can give someone as an illustrator is an emotional response, and personally I'm happy to keep that response positive. So I'd tell your friend to relax :)
    222 weeks ago
    I enjoy thought-provoking, fresh-looking tees but I can't pass up a nice bit of dada humor either.

If it makes you happy, then wear it.
    221 weeks ago
    speaking of DaDa,
    matt2kool said:
    jimiyo said:

all things are art.

for the most part, I agree with this. in my opinion, the exception comes with parodies. while some are very original and it's obvious that time was put into creating it, others are SO close to the original design that its hard to call it art. for example, when there is an image with some text and the only thing changed for the spoofalicious is the text. is that art? is anyone who can add a funny phrase to an image an artist? i dont think so.

I would check out L.H.O.O.Q., a title change and a mustache made one of my favorite pieces of art. I think spoofalicious is and can be art, it takes creativity to think of these things.

I like both art and joke tees, though my only issue with joke tees is that sometimes they are based on jokes or references that people forget about in a few months if not sooner. I also am not always a fan of people pointing to my Uhura and laughing, even if it is about what is on my shirt.
    221 weeks ago
    I like shirts that seem to mean nothing because everyone is always looking for a meaning in them. I like watching people as they stare at a design and try to pull a meaning out if it. You can see the gears in their head working. Plus, It gives the viewer a chance to make their own interpretation, which IMO is often a lot more interesting than what the artist might have intended in the first place.
    221 weeks ago
    I feel weird wearing joke shirts once the people I see on a regular basis have already seen it. It's like walking around telling the same joke over and over again. I get way more use out of the "artsy" shirts.