Back to forum
rss 255 weeks ago
I think if I can wrangle one of our developers, we will make a highest earning artist page with more accurate data. These are approximations, actual commissions are slightly higher.

Pop Monkey $1325
jimiyo $1312
Olechka $906
Randy McQuein $850
Tuism $688
missmonster $569
Derrick Castle $528
Zack Davenport $484
Dann Matthews $456
m. Brady Clark $407

92Comments
    255 weeks ago
    Are these accumulative or are they each for one design? If they're for one design, could we know the design as well?
    255 weeks ago
    This is my new favorite post on TeeFury :D
    255 weeks ago
    maybe I can get a 2nd print on this site again someday WINK......are you guys going to make this an available on our accounts so we can see it
    255 weeks ago
    woohooooo im on there!
    255 weeks ago
    Can we see top designs too?
    Or maybe just from that list, the artists' respective top designs?
    255 weeks ago
    These are just cumulative totals, and moderately inaccurate since the data I have is sales, not dollars paid. That would actually be more.

I am putting top selling designs on the to do list.

Off the top of my head, these are the top five selling designs.

top_Zobama.jpgtop_spork.jpgLupus_mockup.jpgtop_vader.jpgChestCatCOMP.gif
    255 weeks ago
    Very interesting thread here Jimi. Would be cool to have stats to look at for everything on the site...
    255 weeks ago
    bookmarked :) Awesome post! And it's cumulative too, I love that :)
    I was just curious about which the top earners were the other day.

I'm quite frankly surprised that Dr House outsold plaid vader! But all these are awesome AND proven awesome - so cool :)
    255 weeks ago
    Correction:

I mispelled Randy's name.

Randy McQuien, Jr.
    255 weeks ago
    Great post, Jimi!
    Reassuring to see that most of the top-selling tees are those with a famous person design/parody :)
    255 weeks ago
    its interesting to note that your top 4 shirts are all of famous people
    255 weeks ago
    interesting...
    255 weeks ago
    biotwist said: its interesting to note that your top 4 shirts are all of famous people

Are you saying that Vader isn't as famous as Ceiling Cat and the others? ;-)

255 weeks ago
    ^^quite the opposite i believe.

Yah, the top sellers are all pop-culture shirts...
    255 weeks ago
    ...alas, my least favorite type of shirt
    255 weeks ago
    It's always a bit of a toss-up between pop-culture designs and non-referencial designs.

I love making pop-culture references, but I also love making my own stuff. I just know that the more personal stuff is very less likely to sell, not because they're bad, but because they don't strike a chord with people with cultural backgrounds - which is ALL of us.

I'll bet it's the same phenomenon with all the shirt sites out there.
    255 weeks ago
    The thing that set TeeFury apart from their deal-a-day competition upon opening was their willingness to take risks on non-pros with good shirts, their willingness to be diverse, and even at their worst, the ability to put out work because they liked it.

When TF brought in curators, it was a breath of fresh air, because at the time, the site seemed to be struggling to really get the choicest tees up for sale. Having three curators helped keep up huge diversity, with big names representing DBH, anothersite, and shirt.woot. Three sites with totally different aesthetics, and three designers/curators with the same.

But as time has gone on, there has seemed to be a bit of a drive for sales. Which, every site wants, and every site should have. But I feel like this list proves a very disturbing point: Teefury started off as an ALTERNATIVE, and now the only thing that's different is that it is more willing to go out on a copyright-infringement limb than its older daily tee counterpart is.

A quick count shows three star wars/trek designs this month. This thread shows the top 5 selling designs in Teefury history were not only all recognizable characters on tshirts, but all in a two-month span. And they don't note the Radiohead caricature, or the Lebowski shirt, or the Cobain shirt, or the Poe shirt, or lincoln/snake, or today's shirt.

We also know Randy McQuien sells well. We know the Batman stick-up shirt sold well. We know this style of shirt sells. Just like we know that, at woot, shiny anime sells, and geek pop-culture sells (sort of like a darth vader head?) And it starts giving the feeling that, if one in six shirts these last two months have been recognizable characters, and if five of them are the best selling shirts on this site, will TeeFury eventually just be a haven for a handful of OK shirts, and then scads of caricatures and more realistically drawn portraits of iconic faces? because I love good parody, I really do, but Darth Vader in Plaid is not parody. It's Darth Vader. in plaid. Meadow Blaster was parody. Nevermind the Cello, also parody. Zombama, much as I am bored out of my brain by Obama shirts, was also parody. But there's no parody to Lupus. No parody to McQuien's incessant caricatures. It's a shirt with something famous on it. It makes the real commentary pieces look like one more tired money grab, just like how well-done pieces which are also cute get unfair smurf at woot because of how pervasively poorly-done cute gets a print. It makes TeeFury feel one-note... when I get spoiler emails, I open them only to see what night I absolutely don't need to go to teefury. And lately, I want to check less and less.

Maybe I'm the only person who is noticing this and finding it to be a bad thing. After all, sales don't lie... there's simply no better representation of quality than how well you sell, right? But I have to believe that there are people out there who came to TeeFury because they were unhappy with how woot conducted their selections, or because they love the sort of artistic and creative work DBH puts out, or even hoping that one shirt a day would HAVE to lead to plenty of creativity, and are continually disappointed by work like this. It really feels as though all someone needs to do to print here is to draw someone famous well, and mock it up on a shirt. And the fact that that sells so well makes it feel as though artist appreciation is dwindling for the sake of making sure there's a big seller. And while that might be great for your big seller designers, it's smurf for everyone else. It's smurf for the designers who put in real parody and are looked at as riding the sales trend. It's smurf for the designers who have to watch work they put imagination and time into continually undersell Ceiling Cat slapped on your chest. It's smurf for designers who are put on hold, or worse, declined, because there's some potential big-seller to be released instead. And eventually it's smurf for TeeFury, because the more you foster one specific fan base over all the others, the more that fan base is appeased, and the more every other fan base gets discontent. And yeah, it'll bring you scads of money, if that's all that matters. But it'll also make you "that site to sell your paparazzi sketches". I think all four current and former curators here know full well how real designers feel about woot. If teefury follows the same "print what sells over what should print" route, it runs a strong risk of turning out no differently.
    255 weeks ago
    This thread makes me sad. I miss the artistic stuff.
    255 weeks ago
    We still print artistic things- for instance, yesterday and tomorrow :)

It's interesting to note that while pop culture-y joke designs represent the majority of the designs on our top sellers list, they still represent a minority of total designs that we sell.
    255 weeks ago
    adder was making a point that the pop culture share is growing faster then anything else else. this can still be pop culture with out outright using other peoples ideas. regardless I'm going to submit my "toastbusters" design here. I Arrrgggh trying to decide which curators to go with but I haven't subbed any thing to MJ yet
    254 weeks ago
    Oi, what happened to my avatar on that last post? that was Tuism, in case it doesn't show up...
    254 weeks ago
    I think that's the great thing about teefury - if there's something popular TF can cater to it a lot faster than most of the voting sites. Very rarely does a shirt go up for voting at one of the other sites and get produced in less than 3 - 4 months.

That's not selling out - that's just selling. As the artists get a piece of that, it DOES help the artist.
    254 weeks ago
    100% agree with jecrt.
    254 weeks ago
    Scoff!

254 weeks ago
    sweet statz.
  • Load More Comments