About the artistArt curated by
Words from the curator:
Get some fresh air. Let some wind blow into your cartridge. Perhaps it will get some of the dust out.
What's a day in the life of Hector like?
Sex, drugs and rock'n'roll.
What inspires you?
It can be pretty random, something I read in a book, something I saw in a lame tv spot, a decontextualized childhood memory, etc. But for constants there's music, videogames and cartoons, I'm not fancy.
How did you get into art?
Whoa, am I in art?! I've been drawing since I can remember, on and off (though looking back it should have been always on), I started drawing characters from comics, videogames and cartoons, so it seems my inspirations haven't changed much over time. Spider-Man and Megaman are my oldest drawing memories, though I don't even remember what age I was, and Spider-man was probably first.
If you could stop any t-shirt trend in its tracks, which would you end?
Probably not a trend, but pop-culture tees, not all of them but I think about 99% of them get away with weak concepts/executions just because they got a character people already became in love with from another context (like the one to the left, perhaps). The remaining 1% is gold, though.
What has been your most inspiring art experience?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by art experience but I'm pretty sure I haven't had many. Not sure if it counts, but getting to know Mondrian's work really changed the way I see things; I used to think that more detailed work was automatically better and more interesting than simpler one, and I didn't really enjoy abstract stuff. And after that I started experimenting much more, doing things differently and I'm certainly not as good drawing as I was before that but I'm certainly a much better artist (or "artist"). I wasn't even sure why I loved those fucking black stripes and barely colored squares but I'm glad I did.